2452 Fuel Tank Issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2452 Fuel Tank Issues?

I'm looking at a 1999 2452 this weekend. I like this boat a lot. I think it will be perfect for the wife and I. I'm getting a little nervous about all of these posts about fuel leaks. I started looking around on the internet and I guess it's not just Bayliner 2452's. Anyhow should I be overly concerned? I know that forums usually have more posts about problems than they do about how great things are going. I also know there are a lot of these boats out there so maybe it's not as widespread of a problem as this forum may suggest.

Have a 1999 2452 as well. No tank issues so far, but I do maintain NON-ethanol fuel at all times and still treat with Stabil additive. Am hoping to never have issues but then again it is a boat!
    1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
    1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore 2000 Johnson 130
    1996 Parker Pilothouse 2520 MVSC 2016 Mercury Verado 250
    12' Jon Boat 3.5 Suzuki

Comment

Tank problems are highly variable and not manufacturer specific. It can be a fastener under the tank that wasn’t fully countersunk, salt water that found its way under the tank causing some electrolysis or a bad weld that fails after significant vibration. All of these conditions are rare considering the number of boats of all brands out there.
      You are correct that forums tend to have a high level of people trying to solve a problem, and this one is full of them. My observation is that many, if not most, of the issues are due to lack of maintenance rather than manufacturing issues. Many of these cases involve a boat that are being “brought back” after years of sitting collecting dirt and moss.
      I suggest you have a condition and value survey done on any boat you are serious about. It’s the same as the now popular house inspection prior to purchase, having someone not emotionally connected go “looking for trouble”.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
        Tank problems are highly variable and not manufacturer specific. It can be a fastener under the tank that wasn’t fully countersunk, salt water that found its way under the tank causing some electrolysis or a bad weld that fails after significant vibration. All of these conditions are rare considering the number of boats of all brands out there.
        You are correct that forums tend to have a high level of people trying to solve a problem, and this one is full of them. My observation is that many, if not most, of the issues are due to lack of maintenance rather than manufacturing issues. Many of these cases involve a boat that are being “brought back” after years of sitting collecting dirt and moss.
        I suggest you have a condition and value survey done on any boat you are serious about. It’s the same as the now popular house inspection prior to purchase, having someone not emotionally connected go “looking for trouble”.
        This boat is not being brought back from the dead so that's good. The guy has had it for 5 years and got it from the original owners who didn't use it much but took care of it. He gets it serviced and winterized at the end of each season and get it shrink wrapped. It looks really nice. I'll find out Saturday.

Comment

As Pcpete indicated several problems and the biggest is water sitting under the tank .
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
            As Pcpete indicated several problems and the biggest is water sitting under the tank .
            I'll agree those issues will eventually cause a leak. my own observation is that all aluminum tanks will eventually fail. 15-20 years give or take seems to be the time line regardless of make or model.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
            X