How do you dehumidify your boat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you dehumidify your boat?

Hey everyone. With warmer weather approaching, I need to find a good dehumidifier to leave in the boat while I'm away. What does everyone use?
    Dan
    1999 Bayliner 3055
    2003 Triumph 150 CC
    2016 Yamaha VX Delux

I just use the moisture mode on my A/C control.

MOISTURE MODE Use Moisture Mode to help control humidity. While in the On Mode, simultaneously press the Power and Down buttons. The first cycle starts in one minute. Every four hours, the fan circulates air for 30 minutes. During this time, the air temperature is sampled and entered into memory. If necessary, the cooling cycle starts and continues until the temperature is lowered 2°F (1.1°C) or until the compressor runs a maximum of one hour. Four hours after the temperature is satisfied or the compressor times out, the cycle repeats. The “HU1” code displays while in Moisture Mode. Press the Power button once to end Moisture Mode.
    Dave
    2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
    2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
    2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
    http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

I have a dehumidifier tat I bought at Home Depot.

Works Great!

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

What Kevin said...just make sure you drain it over board,or you'll be down at your boat every day to dump its holding tank
        Brad & Sharon
        Lady Jake
        1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
        LaConner,Wa. (summer)
        2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
        kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

I have a unit that I got from Home Depot. It is a portable AC/Dehumidifier system that I have in the forward bedroom. Don't have to worry about a drain system it evaporates the moisture in the air. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. I have one vent hose that vents to the outside. The dehumidifier cools better than the AC setting. It cools the room down so much that you could hang meat in there. I also use DampRid.
          Just love being on my 3870............Bill
          1985 3870
          Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
          Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
          Live on board full time.
          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Man_With_A_Boat View Post
            I have a unit that I got from Home Depot. It is a portable AC/Dehumidifier system that I have in the forward bedroom. Don't have to worry about a drain system it evaporates the moisture in the air. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. I have one vent hose that vents to the outside. The dehumidifier cools better than the AC setting. It cools the room down so much that you could hang meat in there. I also use DampRid.
            Yeah, that makes no sense - if it dehumidifies, it removes moisture from the air - going back and evaporating it into the air is a humidifier. I think your damprids are doing all the moisture removal.
            I also use a dehumidifier. I get ones that have a hose port and use a short section of garden hose to drain it into the sink. Seem to get one season out of a unit, then have to replace them.
            97 2859

Comment

Portable dehumidifier i place on the counter and drain into the kitchen sink.
              1989 3218
              1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
              2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

I had never heard of this type of unit before so I looked it up
                https://www.sylvane.com/fully-self-e...-benefits.html
                2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                1992 Johnson 40HP.

Comment

All I know is that when I turn the unit to dehumidifier the fan automatically changes to the low speed and the temp drops like a rock. This will be the 5 season that I have used this unit/
                  1985 3870
                  Live on board full time.
                  North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I use Gurin thermo electric dehumidifier. Modified it slightly to allow it to drain into the sink. Cost under $40. US. Keeps my 288 dry . Fairly quiet....and small enough for easy storage when underway. Mine runs 24/7.

Comment

Let it drain into the bilge and let the bilge pumps take care of it.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have one of those units in my master bedroom here at home. I was thinking about how it might be a lot cheaper and easier than adding A/C to the boat. How do you have the vent hose setup? Would love to see a picture or 2.,
                        P/C Bob Hicks JN
                        Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                        Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                        Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                        Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                        Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Hi Bob, and I will post a photo as soon as I can. Mine came with a window attachment and with a slit modification it fits over a port hole window. Removed the glass and left the screen up. Mounted the window attachment to the rubber seal that goes around the window and hooked up the vent hose. I leave it up all year. I only started to use some DampRid about two years ago.
                          1985 3870
                          Live on board full time.
                          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Working...
                          X