Drain holes on Flybridge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain holes on Flybridge?

Good evening from the frozen lakes. I acquired an 84 24ft flybridge 2 years ago and just starting to putt around on it. Got it into a barn in a box last year so at least it dried out. Lots of issues from big to small, major is the shaft from outdrive to engine is shot. Flopping around inside the bellhousing. Going to pull the drive soon. (Volvo) I'm assuming it's been left outside most of its life, water damage from top deck into the cabin. I'll attach a few pics, wondering if these are drain holes? They had them plugged with caulk . The wood on the floor in eng compartment (port side) and bed cubby are rotted out. First is stopping the water leaks and outdrive out. Started working on the electrical also, not much works. Click image for larger version

Name:	1442094529314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	413299Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_201941.jpg
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	413300Click image for larger version

Name:	20171128_203107.jpg
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	413301

Shaft flopping around is the PDS bearings most likely... SBC V8 W/ red bell housing?
    If so, your engine will have to come out.
    "The wood on the floor in eng compartment"...
    stringer? is rotted? Then her transom might be compromised/rotted most likely.
    No drain holes on bridge, my 3058 had none.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffryder View Post
      Shaft flopping around is the PDS bearings most likely... SBC V8 W/ red bell housing?
      If so, your engine will have to come out.
      "The wood on the floor in eng compartment"...
      stringer? is rotted? Then her transom might be compromised/rotted most likely.
      No drain holes on bridge, my 3058 had none.
      I agree, can't imagine any wood in the engine bay being rotted without the transom being involved also.

Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Guess I'd rather pull the engine than the outdrive. This was an auction boat, I did contact the previous owner and the shaft/bearings went bad on them floating along in the lake. Had to be towed in. The engine has been rebuilt , yes red housing gm 305. My parents have a 87 24ft sunbridge with the 305 cobra, been pretty reliable. Best I could tell by squeezing my hand on the transom wood is it didn't feel soft. The wood that is rotted is the platform that the battery/ fresh water tank sits on. Technically, I think most people probably would have let the boat go, just enough there to save I think.

Comment

I don't wish a rotten transom on you but do take some time to thoroughly check it out, give the fuel tank a hard look as well, these old boats all need a new fuel tank at some point. Don't want you to spend a bunch of time/money repairing the interior and engine stuff to find the fuel tank leaks or the transom is toast.
          A test to check if the transom core is sound:
          With the boat on the trailer have a buddy stand on the lower unit and bounce on it while you look closely at the transom for any flexing, holding a strait edge against the transom will help. No flexing should be visible.
          Another more reliable method is to drill some 1/4" holes randomly around the inner shield into the transom core from inside the engine bay, do not drill through to the outside, about 1 1/2" max should do it (the total thickness is around 2" with the outer fiberglass layup being about a 1/2") . Take a look at the material the drill bit brings out of each hole. You'll either see water, dark or black mush, or clean dry wood shavings. If all turns out good then fill the test holes with some epoxy and move on to the next item on the list.
          Post up some pics of the boat in it current condition when ya get a chance.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          Misc. projects thread

Comment

I concur with Dave on all of the mentioned problems and defiantly the gas tank.
            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Both outdrive/engine will need to be pulled.
              Good thing she didn't sink...
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

How much weight we looking at standing on the outdrive? Think my youngest weighs around 80lbs and can go up to about 130ish. I'll go get pics of the spots tomorrow, ones on my phone are not very good. I have gone through the couple posts of redoing the transom, might be a near shore boat. Haha. Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Flight Deck View Post
                  How much weight we looking at standing on the outdrive? Think my youngest weighs around 80lbs and can go up to about 130ish. I'll go get pics of the spots tomorrow, ones on my phone are not very good. I have gone through the couple posts of redoing the transom, might be a near shore boat. Haha. Thanks for all the feedback.
                  In the full down position the drive will take a full grown adult bouncing hard on it. It was designed to shove your 7000 lb boat through the water.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_152428.jpg
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	413808 Ok, in my quest of poking around, I discovered some big issues. The sub floor in the cabin that I knew had holes in it (same section you walk on in isle) actually continues into the walkway. Someone put down a chunk of plywood in the walkway to cover up the rotted floor. Basically the left side sub floor is gone. My guess is the drain tube got plugged up and held water. Appears to be a water line. I'm guessing that is nearly impossible to repair without tearing the entire cabin apart. I'll attach pics. It also appears the transom on the thin section is soft. Can tell by the blower screws. Going to go jump on outdrive in a few. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_143058.jpg
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	413802Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_143255.jpg
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	413803Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_150758.jpg
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	413804Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_150816.jpg
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	413805Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_152409.jpg
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	413806Click image for larger version

Name:	20180224_152418.jpg
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	413807

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Someone's installed an automotive distributor in that engine. Not ignition protected, not good. Check the alternator and starter also.

• Nauti_Mike
                      Nauti_Mike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good catch Dave , yep auto distributor with vacuum advance.

Unfortunately everything in the cabin is built on top of the plywood sub floor and it's quite possible that the structure below the subfloor (main stringers & bulkheads along with the fuel tank) are also not doing well. I'd link you over to SKUA's thread (a similar type of rebuild on a 28) so you'd grasp the time/materials required for the repairs. Unfortunately all his pics have been lost due to a recent change in our forum software. Bottom line: he's been working on it for several years. My rebuild was nothing as extensive but still took me close to 3 years to get back on the water FWIW.
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    Misc. projects thread

Comment

I actually spent about a week reading all of your posts. I drive semi, good reading material while being loaded, unloaded. We did the bounce test and found no movement, but I'd have to block up the trailer for a true test. I'm just going to assume it looks like yours. I'm not sure I have it in me to do a full restore. I do like the boat dont see to many of these around, but really only having the weekend's, not much time to repair. My 3 yrs will be 8. Lol. I'll know more when I pull the drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X