No announcement yet.

Trailer for 289

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I now have something to talk to some trailer people about. I will need a specific measurement, however. Does anyone happen to have a 289/2859 handy that could measure the bow-eye to transom (for winch stand placement)? I think it will be a critical measurement needed in this case, since I am trying to shave off as much length as possible. I don't know if this is a standard measurement, so it might be a dumb question.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	410475 Here are 2 designs I would probably prefer the one with the longer tongue but it's going to be long and kind of heavy. If you do the short version you will need some heavy metal at the connections. On this drawing you could reverse the front mount to make it shorter depending on the length of the V part of the frame and still have the ability to install bolts.or pins.

sorry for the crude drawings I made them on my phone but you can hopefully get the idea.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	410478 This one I was sleeping when I was drawing hahaha. You could put it on the outside like i drew but the stub will need to be a foot or so long. You could shorten it up by putting the tube inside. . Also on both the winch post will need to be on the frame and it will help strengthen that area if built substantial.
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	410487 Here is a better one.
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            This is what popped into my head too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	20.4 KB ID:	410494Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	410495 Don't skimp on the winch post. I see all kinds but if you want it to even remotely hold your boat in an accident or hard brake make it substantial just my opinion.

here is a couple pictures of the boat trailer I built.for my 32 foot boat now it has a 34.foot boat on it. It took up my entire 42 foot shop and i couldnt close the door with the coupler on it.
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by B95054 View Post
            I feel your pain and have exactly the same problem of too short a driveway for my 2859. After far too many hours of research I have come to the conclusion that the only real answer is to downsize my boat. Swing away tongues, removable tongues, none of those are viable because of the weight of the boat. It sucks because I have just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting the boat in perfect mechanical shape and am now facing selling it this spring.....but there is just no other solution that I can see. I’ll be watching this thread to see if a great idea comes up but I just don’t see any solution for you.
            ( wow do I ever sound like a glass half empty sort now dont I)
            Keep the boat - sell the house and buy new one with longer driveway!

Comment

I love all the comments. I think the internal long shaft seems like the strongest solution. I will be going to Seattle/Edmonds area next Wednesday and could take some time to drop in and talk to a trailer person if someone has one in mind. I still think I will need the bow-eye to transom measurement, unless it is common knowledge.

I can't carve out the hill because it would involve carving below my house's foundation. Plus, building a retaining wall along the neighbor's property line, which would narrow the width between the house and the retaining wall too far. It would be easier to pave the hill, or at least replace the round gravel with crushed gravel. Then I would still have to approach the hill at an angle to keep from bottoming out, like I do with my truck.

I learned as a computer teacher that life is complicated, you constantly have to find solutions to problems. Being retired doesn't change anything - just slows things down a little.

Comment

Maybe you could take your boat & trailer over to Spokane and let Yachtman have a go at it...
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ
                sigpic
                2000 Bayliner 2858
                "GETAWAY"
                MMSI: 338094599
                In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Like Dave, I am skeptical the 289 + trailer will actually fit in 30'. But EZ Loader (HQ in Spokane) makes adjustable trailers. The one rated for 9000 lbs and 26-30 ft boat length is listed as 30.5 ft overall length. They also have a line of custom trailers. The 10000 lb capacity one is listed as fitting boats from 27-30 ft, but doesn't give the overall length. Might be worth giving them a call since you're willing to throw money at the problem. They may be willing to customize one for you to meet your length requirements.

http://www.ezloader.com/adjustable/t...s/page/36/bunk
                  https://www.sportcraftmarina.com/inv...egon---5896011
                  http://www.ezloader.com/custom/trailers/page/49/elite

Originally posted by Rod Harris View Post
                  I'm used to solving problems like this. A few years ago I had to back a 32' travel travel trailer up the steep hill next to my house (it's still there) knowing that for the first 30' the wheels of the trailer would not be touching the ground, due to the initial incline. I had to have the four inch metal wheels on the back of the trailer re-welded farther back on the trailer so they would be the only wheels touching during that time. So, for about three hours of work, the 10,000 lb, 32' trailer was being backed up on the little wheels and my hitch, only. It took a lot of planning, math, and help.
                  The trailer has a gross weight rating, and each axle also has its own weight rating. For a tandem or triple axle trailer, the total weight is evenly distributed over the axles only when the trailer is level. If you park the trailer tilted relative to the ground, the axle on the lower end will be bearing most of the weight and will probably exceed its weight rating.

Also, I would not recommend parking the trailer supported only by the extreme ends. Engineers try to design these things so the supports (tires) are underneath most of the weight in order to minimize the moments (torsion loads) in the lengthwise beams. You are defeating that design when you support the trailer by the extreme ends. The exact difference in moments depends on the weight distribution, but it's going to be at least 2x, and probably higher since the weight of the boat normally sits mostly over the tires.
                  1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                    Maybe you could take your boat & trailer over to Spokane and let Yachtman have a go at it...
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1978.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	410670 Here is mine in a trailer. I think the boat is measured 28' from transom to bow. Add 2' for swim platform and the outdrive sticks out past that maybe a foot. I think you're at 31' minimum. On mine you can see that the tounge could be cut a foot or so in front of the winch post.
                      Esteban
                      Detroit, MI
                      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1978.JPG Views:	1 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	410670 Here is mine in a trailer. I think the boat is measured 28' from transom to bow. Add 2' for swim platform and the outdrive sticks out past that maybe a foot. I think you're at 31' minimum. On mind you can see that the younger could be cut a foot or do in front of the winch post.
                        You see that is part of the problem. If you look at your picture most boats sit on the trailer pretty much Up to the back of the truck. Look at picture. So shortening the trailer won't do much unless you remove / shorten the anchor pulpit and possibly the rail too. Otherwise its a no go.

Also dont forget anything that was on the tongue now has to be on the actual trailer IE... jack, brakes , winch post and so on.
                        twin 454's
                        MV Mar-Y-Sol
                        Twin chevy 350's inboard
                        Ben- Jamin
                        spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
                          I meant that as a compliment...
                          Jeff & Tara
                          (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ
                          sigpic
                          2000 Bayliner 2858
                          "GETAWAY"
                          MMSI: 338094599
                          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

What I meant was cut and then a removable portion attached to it. Bolted, clamped, or some sort of slip in tounge.
                            The tounge jack would have to be moved further back. And electric brakes would be necessary for sure.
                            Esteban
                            Detroit, MI

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	889238DD-90C5-4076-AE21-C6969C81A4A8.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	410688
                              Something simple as this would work. Maybe 3x6 1/4” wall tubing? The longer the overlap the better. You could even make it super long for gnarly boat ramps so you don’t have to put your rear wheels in the water.
                              Attached Files
                              Esteban
                              Detroit, MI

Comment

Working...
                              X