Trailer for 289

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer for 289

I'm looking to purchase a 289 next year and need to know that I will be able to find a trailer that is 30 foot. All the trailers I find online are 32 foot for this size boat, but I just found an old web page (http://posted.sccdigital.com/iamdiscovery/) that states that the 289 Discovery could be bought, with a trailer that would have an overall length, boat and trailer, of 30 foot. Any idea what trailer that would be? I have a limited length driveway and a 32 foot trailer with the outdrive sticking out the back, would stick out in the street and force me to find alternate storage ($$). I'm one of those people who plans far ahead of time. I just went to the Seattle Boat Show to verify that a 28 foot boat is what I want and then found a 289 that I could get on to verify that that is the model boat I want. Now I just have to pound out all the obstacles in my way to get the boat before starting my search. So far, absolute requirements are Bayliner 289, with Alaska Bulkhead that fits in my driveway.

What about a trailer with a swing-a-way tongue?
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Sorry, but that 289 on a trailer is going to be way over 30', probably 35'. But welcome to the BOC!
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "Sea Ya"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, 33' from coupler to stern drive on my much shorter 2556

I already looked into a swing-away. They don't seem to make them for tongue weights that heavy. I need the tongue to transom to be less than 31' and the entire length less then 34' to fit in my driveway (I have a 3' overhang at the back of the driveway that the stern drive would fit under). I wonder if I could have a swing-away engineered for me?

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct, swing away tongue is for much smaller weight ratings.

Might be a bit of a pita, but one member removes the entire tongue to get it in his shop with the door closed. I'm sure you could have that set up engineered.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
      (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

The trailer for my 2859 was 35’. And it was almost 13.5’ high. Don’t forget about the swim platform and out drive. And kicker.
        Trailers can be found for just about any boat if you have the money.
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Here is one that will work when your 2859 gets too small.
          https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bo...486548066.html
          Esteban
          B-ham!

Comment

The extra cost of getting a trailer that works in my situation is simply an unavoidable cost of buying the boat I want. It will pay for itself in avoiding the costs of having a boat moored over time and I only live three miles from three different boat ramps. I have many months to solve this and won't look for a boat until it is solved. I live in Bremerton, Wa. Does anyone have a source that I can get in touch with that may be able to help me? I do have a steep hill next to my house I can back up onto if I back at an angle first, but I would rather not and am not sure I would be able to until I tried, since it is graveled. I might have to pave the hill in order to get traction, which would cost a lot more that fabricating a trailer to fit in my driveway.

I'm used to solving problems like this. A few years ago I had to back a 32' travel travel trailer up the steep hill next to my house (it's still there) knowing that for the first 30' the wheels of the trailer would not be touching the ground, due to the initial incline. I had to have the four inch metal wheels on the back of the trailer re-welded farther back on the trailer so they would be the only wheels touching during that time. So, for about three hours of work, the 10,000 lb, 32' trailer was being backed up on the little wheels and my hitch, only. It took a lot of planning, math, and help.

Now, I just need to figure out how to park a 28 foot boat in my 34 foot driveway with a 3 foot overhang. I'm not overly concerned about tongue weight since I use weight distribution bars.

Comment

Is the hill your property too?
              They make motorized trailer dollys that kinda work like pallet jacks. They make it much easier to move your boat around in tight areas. Probably would not work on a steep gravel hill, but, a long winch cable going to a tree at the top of the hill would safely and easily pull the trailer up there. Watch some off-road vehicle extrication if you’re unfamiliar with it.
              Esteban
              B-ham!

Comment

It is our property and we did use a winch as one of our tools to get the travel trailer up the hill. However, the trailer is now between the tree to hook the winch to and the hill. If I managed to put the boat on the hill, I'm afraid it would end up reducing the frequency of taking it off the hill to use it. This is not my first choice. I still want to find a way to park it in my driveway. I just have to find someone who is knowledgeable with trailers and this boat to consult with in the Seattle area. If there is no solution, I will pave the hill on the side of my house before I start my search for the boat. I don't want any obstacles in the way when I decide to buy. Who are the trailer builders in the area (not just dealers)?

Comment

I understand your goal, but just thinking out loud, what about knocking that hill down to a flat spot for both trailers?
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "Sea Ya"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I feel your pain and have exactly the same problem of too short a driveway for my 2859. After far too many hours of research I have come to the conclusion that the only real answer is to downsize my boat. Swing away tongues, removable tongues, none of those are viable because of the weight of the boat. It sucks because I have just spent a ridiculous amount of money getting the boat in perfect mechanical shape and am now facing selling it this spring.....but there is just no other solution that I can see. I’ll be watching this thread to see if a great idea comes up but I just don’t see any solution for you.
                    ( wow do I ever sound like a glass half empty sort now dont I)
                    2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
                    Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

A removable tongue would be easy to make. If you had say a 4×6 inch tongue and a telescoping piece over that with bolts and can remove it. Piece of cake. If you can't find someone to do it you are talking to the wrong person. It might take some modification to the actual trailer part but no biggie.

I've built numerous large trailers. Swing away would be a challenge but not impossible but a telescoping or removable no biggie. If you look at easy loader trailers their entirely bolted together.

As an example my trailer for my 32 foot (which is 43 feet long and I built it ) has the coupler bolted on with through bolts grade 8 3/4 inch bolts two of them. That's it. The piece it's bolted to is 3×6 but it's also very thick metal.

Buying what you need might be a problem . Whatever you find will probably need to be modified.
                      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                      twin 454's
                      MV Mar-Y-Sol
                      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                      Twin chevy 350's inboard
                      Ben- Jamin
                      spokane Washington

Comment

Agree w yachtman, some type of welded on coupler (so to speak) at the trailer end of the tongue and the entire tongue could be unbolted and removed in about 10-15 minutes. Adding EOH braking would eliminate the surge coupler lines as well.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                          Agree w yachtman, some type of welded on coupler (so to speak) at the trailer end of the tongue and the entire tongue could be unbolted and removed in about 10-15 minutes. Adding EOH braking would eliminate the surge coupler lines as well.
                          And as a plus it would make for a great anti theft device. Its not going anywhere without a coupler. Think about this your hitch reciever is held in with a simple 5/8ths pin. No more. Although i wojld probably bolt it but the hitch could be held in place solely by pins maybe like what you get to hold tractor implements together.
                          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                          X