Mounting kicker on 2859 swim step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting kicker on 2859 swim step

I want to mount a 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on my swim step. My father-in-law has offered me his and I need to know how to measure the motor to see if the shaft is long enough to reach deep enough into the water to work properly. I know a transom mount bracket would eliminate this issue, but I really do not want to modify (shorten) the swim step at all as I want to always be able to access the boat via the step and transom door from either side of the boat. Do I measure from the cavitation plate on the kicker up to the upper limit of the engine's mounting assembly or...?

Also will the swim grid require any extra support in the area where the mounting bracket would be mounted?
    Paul
    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

I really cant offer any adivce on how to measure it - Mine came with the motor and mount already on it. But yes, you'll need to reinforce the deck.
    97 2859

Comment

I used a swimstep motor mount from Panther Marine to mount my longshaft Honda15. I can tell you the shortshaft is too short for a swimstep mount if you want to troll in anything rougher than 2 footers, but the longshaft when tilted up will drag in the water until you get halfway up on plane. The Panther mount comes with an adjustable bracket that mounts down to the bottom of the transom to help support the added weight to the swimstep, and it seems to be plenty sturdy, but I think I would dismount my kicker if i had to trailer it any distance.

http://www.panthermarineproducts.com/o

Comment

I have a 15 HP Merc. on my swim step it ha 2 added section I think making it 25 Inches long, most manufacture make extensions that are bolt in.
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Anything shorter than a long shaft wont work on your swimstep. I have a 9.9 Merc XL shaft (25 inches) mounted on mine and it performs flawlessly. Ive even used it to limp back 35 miles to port after my main crapped the bed.
          "REEL WILD"
          2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
          Anchorage, Alaska
          If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

I mount my long shaft kicker on a fabricated aluminum bracket on the swim step of my 2850. The mount is very steady. The kicker is able to get in the water but a little bit short of the desired depth. When there is a big swell it can come above the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker and Bracket.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	409987

Joe

Attached Files
            1986 2850 Commend Bridge on hydrohoist
            A260 and AQ280 with DP lower unit

Comment

I'm going to be looking at a Yamaha 9.9 tomorrow, where do you measure to/from to arrive at the shaft length? My thinking would be from the cavitation plate up to the upper limit of the mounting clamp assembly...
              Paul
              2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
              2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
              2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

Comment

Working...
              X