Trailer woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer woes

I purchased a Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser ‘05 and a Performance trailer , tandem axle . The problem is I received no Registration papers for the trailer purchased in Ohio ( not required in Ohio) and the boat /trailer combo was originally from Milford Conneticut bought at auction by the Ohio dealer. Is there any way to obtain a registration for the trailer now that the company is closed??

I would start with your states licensing department by contacting them directly. My expectation would be you will need to contact the State of Connecticut and obtain a copy or letter of prior title then, with the bill of sale from your dealer and probably some paper from your State Patrol stating the trailer is not stolen, you will be able to register your trailer. It’s going to be a pita, but it beats finding out it was stolen.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Not sure what state you are in but I believe in PA you need to have the previous owners valid registration card and a bill of sale and then you can get a title for the trailer.
      1994 2655, 5.7, alpha 1 gen 2

Comment

It varies from state to state so calling the DMV will get you started. You can find the trailer VIN number close to the trailer tongue, sometimes on a name plate. In Colorado it takes a VIN inspection by the State Patrol to get started.
        2550 Cierra, AQ260 Volvo Penta (350 Chevy)
        Laporte, CO

Comment

Originally posted by PJBOAT View Post
          I purchased a Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser ‘05 and a Performance trailer , tandem axle . The problem is I received no Registration papers for the trailer purchased in Ohio ( not required in Ohio) and the boat /trailer combo was originally from Milford Conneticut bought at auction by the Ohio dealer. Is there any way to obtain a registration for the trailer now that the company is closed??
          Not sure I understand what was not required in Ohio. I purchased my boat and trailer in Ohio and I just renewed the registration for the trailer, which is definitely required. I also have a utility trailer that is registered..so I don't know who told you trailer registration is not required? Sounds fishy to me.
          Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
          Alpha 1, Gen II
          2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
          Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
          (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

People build trailers every day and your DMV will have a provision to issue a serial number for homebuilt trailers. Just putting that out there as an information point, not making any recommendations. Trailer registration is pretty much a simple tax grab - the weight and class restrictions go on the tow vehicle in most jurisdictions.
            R.J.(Bob) Evans
            Cierra 2755

Comment

Working...
            X