New to boating and recently purchased a 1999 3055

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to boating and recently purchased a 1999 3055

Hi, I have owned several high performance fresh water boats, but I am new to the ocean boating scene. I recently purchased a very nice 1999 3055 cruiser with the 7.4's and Bravo II's. It has a generator and is on a triple axle trailer. I purchase this from a gentlemen that passed away and his daughter was left the boat in the estate. Not being boating person she wanted to sell it. I had it all checked out and all is good with the boat. So being new to this type of boat and boating and never having an RV I have many dumb nubie question? How does everything work electrical, plumbing etc.? Would another 3055 owner be willing to talk with me on the phone and possibly go over what everything does and how to turn on things on and off. I don't want to rush into this and possibly break anything and just looking for a little guidance. I have the owners manual but it doesn't offer much help other than where things are located.Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Welcome to the BOC! I'd be happy to talk with you, my last boat was a 2007 305, same as 3055. Where are you located? I'll PM my number if you like.
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I strongly suggest you line a dock with fenders and practice maneuvering and docking. Twin drives can take a bit of getting used to. Even after 25 years I could maneuver my brothers 1942 single engine ChrisCraft easier than my own twin drive Bayliner. Next, join a boating or yacht club. Find one that makes you feel at home and facilitates buddy boating. Most clubs have reciprocal moorage, you can stay at mine if I can stay at yours, as well as another network. Teach your second in command, unless you have a significant other, being very PC, often called the Admiral, how to operate the boat and navigation. You may become incapacitated, like a heart attack for instance, and someone has to take over and get you and them back to safety.
      Is your handle in reference to Voodoo Daddy?
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies. And yes Jeff W I would very much like to talk with you if you could pm your number. I am in Southern California and this boat came from Lake Powell/Havasu

Comment

Message sent.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

I too was new to larger boats, and the first 4-5 months pretty much ruined my wife as first mate for a while. I'd highly recommend finding someone local that does navigation and boat handling training (if there is any doubts with you). I helped us immensely, just wish I would have done it right after I got the boat instead of just trying it first.
            97 2859

Comment

Thank you JThiessen. Very good advice as my wife sounds like yours and I want to make this a positive experience. Also, thanks for the pm Jeff's I will be in touch soon.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum practice and more practice as suggested with an old salt.
                Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

• Discovery
                  Discovery commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A

Congrats on the new boat, we love ours! Always advice to be found here, just need to ask... 4 years into our 3055 and seems I can still find something I didn't know about onboard.
                Yellowknife, NT. Canada
                2002 cierra 3055
                twin 350 mags mpi FWC w/B2

Comment

My last boat was also a 99 3055. I ordered mine new. I had it from 1999 through 2011. I put just under 800 hours on her. It is one of if not the roomiest 30 footer out there. I had twin 5.7's mated to Bravo II drives. Mine topped out at 45 MPH. I had a friend who also ordered a 99 3055. He opted for the 7.4's like yours has. He said his topped out at 51 MPH. Either way both were good performers. The only, at least for me flaw was that she was light in the bow and in a close quarters docking situation you had to compensate for the wind. In my case I learned it was best to handle her like she had inboards. In other words I put the wheel into a neutral straight ahead position and used the throttles in forward and reverse to maneuver the boat when docking. Because the engine/drives are farther apart than in just about every other brand the handling is really far superior to most twin I/O designs.

The best way to learn what everything does is to try out all the switches and buttons. It's really pretty simple and straight forward. Yours will be a little heavier in the stern with the 7.4's as they weigh more than my 5.7's.

You've got yourself a great boat there. Take your time and progress at a pace that is comfortable for you. Best of luck with your 3055. I do miss mine.
                  Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                  West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                  www.wrycc.com

Comment

As recommended look into a boating club. The Power Squadron is also a great source for classes and information. Welcome aboard!
                    Ted G
                    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                    Designers Edition
                    Mercury 350 Mag
                    290 Volvo DP

Comment

Great advise from those long time members above. Lots of experience here to draw from, all you have to do is ask.

Ours was the first boat we ever owned and I did get some criticism here for jumping both feet into such a big boat. My wife and I have taken several Power Squadron courses which gave us the basics to handle and be a responsible operator. The broker who sold us the boat spent a few hours coaching and once you get over the nerves it's practice, practice, practice. I too would strongly recommend joining a club. It's been a great experience for us.

Welcome to the forum and I 2nd, 3rd and 4th the notion these are just about the best 31' express cruisers ever. They're sized very well for a couple, have great storage, aren't overly expensive and if you're any kind of DIY guy, they're easy to work on. We've done several 3+ week trips on ours and while it does get tight at times, we're out there enjoying the same places and views as others here in the PNW.
                      Sea Venture
                      2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                      Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                      DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                      MMSI 316029971

Kirk
                      Drinks well with others.

Comment

Originally posted by lowdaddyooo View Post
                        Thank you JThiessen. Very good advice as my wife sounds like yours and I want to make this a positive experience. Also, thanks for the pm Jeff's I will be in touch soon.
                        I'll be in SoCal (Long Beach) this weekend, checking out a 38. Give me a call, we'll have a beer...
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I have a 1999 and would be happy to talk to you as well. Feel free to PM me.
                          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                          1998 3055 Ciera
                          (yes, a 1998)
                          Previous boat: 1993 3055
                          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                          Sea Doo XP
                          Sea Doo GTI SE
                          Life is short. Boats are cool.
                          The family that plays together stays together.
                          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X