2012 285 speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 285 speed

Hi guys. My 2012 285 doesn't seem as fast as it should be at certain revs. Engine is 377 6.2 v8. At 4000 revs the boat slowly deccelerates to the point where it wants to fall off the plane. I need to hold it at 4400 with a speed of 23 knotts. My prop is the recommended standard prop. What do you guys think?

I have a 2002 2855 Ciera with a 7.4L MPI and Bravo Duo Prop.
    With 80% fuel / water load, family of 5 on board and the correct drive and tab trim, at 4000rpm, the boat is running strong at 25-26kts.
    Assuming engine tuned and hull clean, I would start with trim and load balance.
    BC
    2002 Bayliner Ciera 2855
    7.4L MPI B3DP
    Brisbane Australia

Comment

This was yesterday with no water, 20% fuel and 2 on board. I trim the leg but most of the time I'm not quite sure how much. I wait to see if speed and revs pick up but sometimes its hard to tell

Comment

Did this just start happening? Were you previously able to plane at 4000 rpms? I have the 6.2 with a Bravo II on a slightly larger and heavier 1989 2855. Fully loaded for a week with 4 people I stay on plane easily at 3700 rpms and 19.5 knots. Things that come to mind are bottom growth, perhaps your outdrive isn't trimmed down far enough or your trim tabs are not functioning. It seems odd that your boat would not have enough speed at 4000 rpms to stay on plane as mine stays up at 17 knots/3500 rpms. Let us know what you find.
        Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
        1989 2855
        Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

i keep it in a seapen so no bottom growth. At 4000 revs I'm doing around 17 knots and it seems like a hard slog. the manual says it should do 21 knots. maybe that's on a flat lake with no wind etc.

Comment

Hi ibaldwin. Our '04 285 had the 300 hp 350 cid engine and bravo III drives, Top end was 40 mph any day. We sold the boat in 09 and it was shipped to Turkey. Our 325 with base engines cruises at 3500 rpm and 27 mph. Top end for the 325 is 44 mph. Good luck with your 285. Griff

Comment

Baldwin, what is your WOT?
              is she reaching 5200 RPM?
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              93 3058
              92 2855
              91 Fourwinns 205
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Hi. Ive got a 2006 with same engine combo as you... i can cruise at 3500 on plane at 18-20 knots. At 3800 im doing around 22-23 knots and at 4600 rpm im just shy of 30... id expect you should be getting better performance than that. though if im full of fuel and water, it can drop those figures slightly. I generally always run leg down, and trim tabs down and bring the tabs up once on plane.
                2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

Weird hey. My WOT is 5200 so no problem there I don't think. So frustrating. Never to sure how much trim to use but have played with it.

Comment

I must admit I've only had her for 9 months and each time I take her out their seems to be a bit of sea and a head wind. Would love to be able to see what she does on a calm day.

Comment

Working...
                    X