Replacing cabin carpet with vinyl plank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing cabin carpet with vinyl plank

I have a 1999 3055 that I bought at the end of last summer. Overall, it's in great shape. However, in the cabin, there are a few stains on the carpet. With the right carpet cleaner, I may be able to get them out, but I wouldn't mind replacing it with peel and stick vinyl plank. Seems like a better solution. Has anyone done this? As I've looked at it, I think the lowest part would be easy. The upper part (where the table is) has a rounded edge that could present a bit of an issue.

If you did it, did you replace just the lowest tier or both?
    Dan
    1999 Bayliner 3055
    2003 Triumph 150 CC
    2016 Yamaha VX Delux

did anyone reply to this post? i'm getting ready to do the floors/cab/ and upholstery....

Comment

I put the vinyl flooring in my old boat. I wasn't to hard of a job, I did have to smooth out some of the fiberglass that was under the rug. This was on a 1999 2655. It looks like they just laid the carpeting over wet resin. I used the vinyl cement to put the flooring down and it held pretty good.
      1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
      5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

Don't get the peel and stick, because the overlap is too thin and can lift up. When this happens you will catch an edge and it will break off.
        I used the click lock style vinyl planks and glued them down with construction adhesive.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.7...000668017.html

​​​​​​​

1989 3288
        "Defiant"
        5.7 L gas powered

2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

MMSI 316 034 392

Comment

I agree... DONT use the peel and stick.... if parts of it ever comes loose, it will bubble slightly in the sun and wont look right.
          my boat had the floating plank flooring in it when I bought it, but whoever put it in did NOT use the waterproof flooring, so the joints swelled and it looked very similar to a botched job.... and im sure the edge trim was done by a beginner...
          we removed it and installed the click to gether floating waterpoof vinyl planks, like is recommended for bathrooms and kitchens.. and then redid the edge trim. it looks nice and even though we have been in the boat with dripping swim suits, there is no swelling or curling of the flooring....

it would be nice if a manufacture of affordable flooring developed something similar to a teak and holly pattern....

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I replaced all carpeting with vinyl plank. And I agree, do not use the peel and stick. As it shrinks and expands, it will look terrible.
            I used plank that had to be glued down. Construction adhesive spread out with a 1/16 notched trowel did the job. Seems are tight with temperature changes.

Comment

There is some REALLY nice vinyl plank flooring out there now days.

We have the isocore stuff in our kitchen and sun room, and another look in out master bath. Very good quality, very heavy duty.

I’m re-carpeting my boat as soon as the weather breakes, and I seriously thought about plank flooring.

I am going with carpet because on my boat, the tables, and my recliner are not built in. In a heavy see that stuff would slide around, something that does not happen with carpet.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

The vinyl is also very easy to cut, even on curves. Just score it and bend to snap apart. In my case, I used a tile cutter to score and break straight. However a jigsaw, multi-tool, box cutter and file for the cut edges will get the fun stuff done.

Comment

I agree with Centerline 2. I replaced a lot of the carpet in my 1985 3870 with the vinyl snap together floating plank floor. One of the best up grades I have done to my boat. Just make sure the floor is very smooth.
                  Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                  1985 3870
                  Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                  Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                  Live on board full time.
                  North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I put the peel and stick in my 1985 and was pleased at first, but I think I'm going to lay the planks over the top of it. I haven't had any trouble with it coming up, but t shows every imperfection in the surface it is stuck to. It is dirt cheap so I'm not out much, but I like the look enough that I'm willing to spend a little more on the planks. It's good to know about the waterproof material people in this thread have mentioned.
                    1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
                    300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

Comment

Originally posted by alanmoor View Post
                      I put the peel and stick in my 1985 and was pleased at first, but I think I'm going to lay the planks over the top of it. I haven't had any trouble with it coming up, but t shows every imperfection in the surface it is stuck to. It is dirt cheap so I'm not out much, but I like the look enough that I'm willing to spend a little more on the planks. It's good to know about the waterproof material people in this thread have mentioned.
                      you can spend a lot of money on the marine grade vinyl flooring, which has a larger selection of "marine" type patterns such as teak and holly, but if you are just looking to refinish the sole of the boat with a nice looking, acceptable overlay, use the snap together waterproof vinyl planks that are used in kitchens and bathrooms.... the snap together type creates what is called a "floating floor", which does not float, but just lays on the subfloor without mechanical fastenings.... this allows the wood subfloor below to swell and contract as the seasons change without any noticeable effects in the overlay..

the adhesive planks arent the best choice in a boat, as any change in the subfloor will be seen on the surface of the overlay, and the heat that can build inside an enclosed cabin can cause warpage of the overlay as the vinyl has a different expansion rate as the substrate its adhered to. due to the heat and warpage,in time the adhesive may come loose and allow the planks to get small gaps between them. not so good considering the cost and time that it takes to install it and then repair it all later...

NU LIBERTE'
                      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
                      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
                      N2K equipped throughout..
                      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
                      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
                      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
                      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Thanks for the pictures, Joe440. That looks great!

Comment

Working...
                        X