Does this estimate sound right

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.saferwholesale.com/MerCru...troker-383.htm

I have no experience with this company, but they show a complete mercreiser 383 stroker package for $12,900 and includes EVERYTHING including bell housing, risers, wiring g harness with quick connect plug and spark plugs.....is this housing the plate your referring to?

this package means zero swap over from old motor as everything is new, including spark plugs and fuel delivery system.

if it were me and I had access to the forklift, I would strongly consider an option such as this and do it myself....warranty or not. Jerez, you could buy two complete packages and still come in under their estimate.

Even worth paying a mechanic a 1,000 cash to come help one weekend
    Current: 2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner

Comment

The PO had to replace the engine on my 2556. His invoice for a new 350 MAG MPI Horizon lists:

- $16,003 for the engine, freshwater cooled
      - 8 hours @ $98/hr ($784 total) for labor
      - Misc parts and fluids brought it up to $17,869.73
      - CA taxes (British Columbia) brought the total to CA$20,371.49

Make of it what you will. Work was done in 2006 if you want to try to adjust for exchange rate (on the engine) and inflation. There was a couple hundred bucks on a separate receipt for modifying the engine cover so it would fit (turns out the size was slightly different even though Mercruiser advertised it as a drop-in replacement). But I don't think you'll have that problem on a 2859.
      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

I'd call around to a couple of other marina to get their charge for this project.
        Most marinas have the Spader book with suggested times to do various jobs.
        John
        2005 Bayliner 285
        6.2 Mercury Bravo 3

Comment

I don't see why warranty would be an issue. You are not building the engine. You can trailer your boat with the right trailer. Maybe rent or borrow one and get it home to do the work. Now you can shop for the engine, maybe in the states.
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I'd agree with Doug. You can get a reman'd motor from places like Michigan Motors for around $11K-$12K, get it home on a trailer and work off the $10K savings in labor.
            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

The shop you are considering this job from could easily push that higher. At that point it may be more cost effective to get another boat.
              Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Working...
              X