Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's winter...exactly how much trouble am I in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's winter...exactly how much trouble am I in?

This is my first winter with the cruiser. We keep it in the lake year-round here in Atlanta and it has a bilge heater, so I was not all that worried about winterizing. I've been on the road this week and as I've watched the temps drop, I've gotten pretty nervous. Today was shooting for a high of 29, low of 16.

One of my friends checked on the boat, just to make sure the bilge heater was running. All the same, should I be scared? I just looked and the current lake temp is 54 degrees...that gives me some more hope that I'm ok.
    1999 Bayliner 3055

Pray the heater continues to heat. A few degrees below freezing is tolerable. Down into the teens is bad news.
    Mocoondo
    2002 Bayliner 195 Capri
    Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
    MMSI: 338091755

Comment

In the water helps a bunch. The not frozen water acts like a heat sink, however, if you haven’t closed the through hull valves, have your buddy try to do that. Boats that sink from freezing are often from an open through hull and the hose above freezing and breaking it open. When things thaw, water comes in. Next, water in your potable system may freeze and cause some connections to fail. I’ve lost a few galley sink faucets from frozen water in the fixture. Whatever you do don’t put a cheap space heater. A ceramic one is okay, but be careful of how much amperage you draw. It’s easy to put three or four heaters that draw 15 amps on a 30 amp system.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I’d be nervous also. BTW Only approved ignition protected heaters in the engine bay.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Put duct tape over the engine compartment air intakes. That will help keep the engine and bilge at the temp of the water. Get some RV antifreeze and put it in the toilet, pump it through to the holding tank, refill the bowl and let it sit. Put some in the sink drains and let them sit also. You’ll be ok unless the air gets below freezing and stays there for several days. Even then unless the water freezes, your motor won’t be affected.
          1990 2755 - sold
          2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Working...
          X