Model name origions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model name origions?

I got great info (although I can't find the thread now...) on the lineage and assignment of model numbers Bayliner used over the years. I'm wondering about what brought the model names to be? Many seem to have an Italian flair about them (Ciera, Avanti, Contessa, etc) and in particular the sub names and abbreviations. Mine for example is a Ciera SUNBRIDGE ST Am I correct thinking it was named SUNBRIDGE due to it's open top? What about the ST? Leta's Top Shop said after giving her the HIN was a ST but with the other correspondence, I forgot to follow up. Thanks for any info!
    Dave
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

at times, I have wondered the same thing....
    as for your boat, the description sunbridge is easy to figure out, as oppposed to name ciera.
    that model has a bridge deck built over the living space inside, and its an open top/exposed helm.... so it is by description a "sunbridge". but just as descriptive, it could have been called a weather bridge, a rain bridge, or weather deck, but that may have been detrimental to the advertising...

all boats have a model type of the decks, just as they do for the shape/design of the hull, and it depends on the target market on what type of deck gets matched to what type of hull.
    names such as sunbridge, convertible, flybridge, sedan, pilothouse, express, cruiser, walkaround, ect, are descriptive, but name such as command bridge is only another name given to a flybridge, in an attempt to make it sound like a more important place on the boat.... manufactures are always looking for more "catchy" names to apply to a new model that may not be much different than a previous model...

sometimes, identical boats can have different names depending on the year it was built. the 2556 and 2560 is a perfect example... the same boat built in different years with different model numbers, and the names trophy, command bridge and convertible were all used to describe them... (and also the left entry flybridge was later changed to a right entry flybridge.. for what reason?)...

its too bad there werent better records kept so one could know what their thinking was when they were slapping names on the drawings when they were designed and/or re-designed..

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

I actually found the post explaining (I think) the model numbers somewhat I'll paste it here in a few. I highly recommend a shot of rum first though LOL
      Dave
      Past:
      Mariner 150
      Towing with:
      West of Hickory NC

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
        at times, I have wondered the same thing....
        as for your boat, the description sunbridge is easy to figure out, as oppposed to name ciera.
        that model has a bridge deck built over the living space inside, and its an open top/exposed helm.... so it is by description a "sunbridge". but just as descriptive, it could have been called a weather bridge, a rain bridge, or weather deck, but that may have been detrimental to the advertising...

all boats have a model type of the decks, just as they do for the shape/design of the hull, and it depends on the target market on what type of deck gets matched to what type of hull.
        names such as sunbridge, convertible, flybridge, sedan, pilothouse, express, cruiser, walkaround, ect, are descriptive, but name such as command bridge is only another name given to a flybridge, in an attempt to make it sound like a more important place on the boat.... manufactures are always looking for more "catchy" names to apply to a new model that may not be much different than a previous model...

sometimes, identical boats can have different names depending on the year it was built. the 2556 and 2560 is a perfect example... the same boat built in different years with different model numbers, and the names trophy, command bridge and convertible were all used to describe them... (and also the left entry flybridge was later changed to a right entry flybridge.. for what reason?)...

its too bad there werent better records kept so one could know what their thinking was when they were slapping names on the drawings when they were designed and/or re-designed..
        Here ya go:

In escalating sizes, Bayliner's cruiser lineup usually had a small entry, a popular entry, a wide beam cruiser above the popular entry, a narrow beam large cruiser, and a wide beam cruiser around that size range.

Back around the 1980s, the sizes were 2150, 2450, 2550, 2750, and 2850, following the above pattern.

So with your 2655, that is the "small" wide beam model. That lineage started with the 1985 2550 Ciera Designers Edition. That boat was redesigned in 1988 into your 2655 wide beam. And you are right, they were most popular in 1988 and 1989. The economy crashed in late 1989, and the 1990 2655 (the one that got Merc power) was a very poor seller. This actually affected all of Bayliner's lineup - it's a lot harder to find a 1989 2455 than it is to find a 1988 2455 on the used market.

Around this time, two things happened. The large wide beam cruiser, the 2850/2855 Contessa/Ciera (it was redesignated around 1988 before it was killed in 1989) was discontinued at the end of 1989. The second thing was Bayliner adopted a built in swim platform that added 2 feet to all their LOAs. So the 1991 2655 was really the 2855....effectively making their new 2855 a smaller boat than the previous 2855. That said, the 2955 Avanti became the 3055 and effectively took the Contessa's place in the lineup.

ANyway, that's the story.
        Dave
        Past:
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

I have forgotten more than some people have ever learned...

Best to think in terms of "eras". Back in the 1970s to early 1980s, all Bayliners had a unique model system consisting of a 4 digit model number, and a unique model name. FOr example: 1750 Mosquito. 2250 Skagit. 2350 Monterey.

They didn't have a lot of continuity....there's no "family" that told you the Skagit and the Monterey were both family cruisers. The Explorer line was a consolidated family, with the smaller ones dying in the early 1980s and the larger ones becoming the 3288 and 3888 Motoryachts.

That all changed in 1982 with the introduction of the 2150 and 2450 Cieras, and the Capri runabout series in 1983. Now all the core cruisers were Cieras, and the changeover happened slowly over the 1980s....the Contessa was one of the last holdouts. It changed to a 2855 Ciera in 1988 from the 2850 Contessa.

The number system changed in 1988 too....from XX50 to XX55 for cruisers, XX58 for flybridges, XX88 for yachts. There were some outlier models too with XX08s, etc.

The next big change was in 2001 when they ditched the 4 digit numbers and went to 3 digit numbers, usually just dropping the last number entirely....the model names died the very next model year. Now cruisers were just "Cruisers", bowriders were "BRs", deckboats were "DBs", etc.

Finally, and most recently, Bayliner is using an alphanumeic European style naming system, with one boat (the 682) actually retaining it's European designation in it's entirety. Now, the bowriders are VRs (4, 5, and 6), the Elements are either e series for deck boats or f series for fishing, and 12, 18, and 21.

And these are just the naming changes. As I alluded to above, some of the boats had the EXACT SAME name, but depending on the year, were COMPLETELY different boats. If you had a 1988 2855 Ciera (the old, massive, Contessa series), and parked next to a 1994 2855 Ciera, you would likely make the guy with the '94 feel like he got robbed....because the 1994 is really the old 2655 wide beam with a molded in swim platform, not a full 28 foot long boat.

Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

US Marine used a two letter engineering code to ID a boat model. All people within USM and dealers referred to a model as a CS or CX rather than a 1850 or 2050. The letter code was part of the HIN so everyone could tell by the HIN the model and model year.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodiver View Post
              US Marine used a two letter engineering code to ID a boat model. All people within USM and dealers referred to a model as a CS or CX rather than a 1850 or 2050. The letter code was part of the HIN so everyone could tell by the HIN the model and model year.
              ^^ Forgot to address that. Absolutely correct.
              Matt Train
              BOC Site Team
              Chicagoland, IL

Comment

The first three letters of the HIN are the Manufacturers ID code, in the case of USM, each plant and brand had a different MIC due to the legacy computer systems. All MIC codes are in the CG database so if you want to know where your boat was built, you can look it up.
                The next five characters were the unique ID code, for USM, the first model produced of a model year was A01XX, the next was A02 until 99 boats were produced then the number would start at B01. We never ran out of numbers until Reynosa opened and was running. When we produced Z99, the numbering switched to 01A. The other HIN numbers are letter codes for the month of production and the model year. For Reynosa boats, MX followed the HIN
                Other manufactures like Sea Ray didn’t use a plant/model HIN so you can’t tell either by looking at a SR HIN. This is why SR embossed the model in a separate line below the HIN.
                In the late 2000’s, all BBG brands were required to use BBB as the MIC so buyers couldn’t tell the country of production.

Comment

Matt wrote: The next big change was in 2001 when they ditched the 4 digit numbers and went to 3 digit numbers, usually just dropping the last number entirely....the model names died the very next model year. Now cruisers were just "Cruisers", bowriders were "BRs", deckboats were "DBs", etc.

I think one of the other things you forgot was that the numbers didn't change until 2003, and I believe it was the third number that was dropped. Such as, 2859 became 289, and 2452 became 242. But I am glad you share your otherwise most excellent Bayliner knowledge with the rest of us.
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ
                  sigpic
                  2000 Bayliner 2858
                  "GETAWAY"
                  MMSI: 338094599
                  In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

The change in 2003was due to USM going on the SR computer system USM senior management changed to a bunch of ex Sea Ray executives they drove the change from 2050CX to 205BR. USM had to dump the legency system And change to the SR AS400 which was taylored to how SR operated, only one brand and building all of a model in a plant. It didn’t work well for USM.
                    We found work arounds to survive over time but the cut over was very painful, sales couldn’t communicate with their dealers, we chouldn’t finish boats because of raw material shortage issues.
                    The timing of the cut over came at the worst time of the year, April right before model changeover, the height of the season and the startup the Reynosa plant. They green lighted the project even though none of the team said it was ready to cut over. We missed Q2 by a huge number which was a surprise to BC. Most of the upper management members were gone later in the year.

Comment

I was able to find out that my '90 2655 was made in Valdosta Ga. (BL2) once I figured out the 2nd digit was an "L" not a 1. Used the free HIN decoder site. Also via that site found no recalls issued. Until yesterday, I thought Bayliners all came from Wa. state. Thanks for the additional info Matt! Credit to Matt for the info I posted in #4 above once I figured out how to find it again.
                      Dave
                      Past:
                      Mariner 150
                      Towing with:
                      West of Hickory NC

Comment

Arlington PD&E center, tooling, cruiser and yacht, components and just about anything in the past
                        Laconner test
                        Lake Stevens test
                        Spokane 1 & 2 runabout, Trophy and maybe small cruisers, wire shop
                        Roseburg was developed to be a two plant site but only one plant built, cruiser and Trophy,
                        Kingman small boats
                        Pipestone 1,2&3 Bayliner, Maxum, Ski Boat, cruisers for both Bayliner and Maxum (maybe C/Q)
                        Claremore trailers, windshield, vacuuform
                        Miami 1,2, 3 small boats for Bayliner, Maxum, Rendezvous, ski boats and cruiser
                        Vivian bass boats
                        Nappanee Bluefin
                        Reynosa Bayliner and SR small boats
                        Whitepine never opened
                        Dandridge 1&2 Bayliner/Maxum small boats, wire & upholstery shop, customer service center
                        Edenton yacht
                        New Bern small boats
                        Shelby small boats
                        Islamarida test
                        Live Oak small boats
                        Tallahasee cruiser Trophy Robalo
                        Cumberland 1&2 small boats, Trophy
                        Salisbury cruiser and yachts
                        Valdosta cruiser yachts maybe Trophy Robalo
                        Brazil small boats/cruiser for south Brasil
                        Poland contract manufacturing for small boats and cruiser for Euro markets also the PD&E center
                        Portugal small boats
                        Last edited by Woodiver; 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by HueyCrew View Post
                          I was able to find out that my '90 2655 was made in Valdosta Ga. (BL2) once I figured out the 2nd digit was an "L" not a 1. Used the free HIN decoder site. Also via that site found no recalls issued. Until yesterday, I thought Bayliners all came from Wa. state. Thanks for the additional info Matt! Credit to Matt for the info I posted in #4 above once I figured out how to find it again.
                          No worries. Yeah, cruisers came out of Valdosta....both my Ciera and my dad's Ciera came out of that plant.
                          Matt Train
                          BOC Site Team
                          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                            Matt wrote: The next big change was in 2001 when they ditched the 4 digit numbers and went to 3 digit numbers, usually just dropping the last number entirely....the model names died the very next model year. Now cruisers were just "Cruisers", bowriders were "BRs", deckboats were "DBs", etc.

I think one of the other things you forgot was that the numbers didn't change until 2003, and I believe it was the third number that was dropped. Such as, 2859 became 289, and 2452 became 242. But I am glad you share your otherwise most excellent Bayliner knowledge with the rest of us.
                            You are probably right. It's all starting to bleed together in my memory.

I thought it was 2002ish...but I cannot remember the exact year.
                            Matt Train
                            BOC Site Team
                            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
                            X