No announcement yet.

New Owners listing 2859 289 and 2859 +

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 2008 289, great boat, sometimes I wish I would have kept it, long story. Starting in 2002 I believe, the 454 big block was discontinued, but some '02 models have them. From later '02 forward, the boats came with a 350 Mag (300 hp EFI) and Bravo 3 drive. The 454s were 310 hp, but more torque and mostly Bravo 2 drive. The early 90s boats did not have transom gates. IMO, the 350 Mag is very adequate for the boat, unless you'll be loading it up with extras all the time, such as many passengers, lots of fishing equipment, or extra water and fuel. But I'm not sure a stock 454 would do much better. And welcome to the BOC!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    sigpic
    2000 Bayliner 2858
    "GETAWAY"
    MMSI: 338094599
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

To answer coyote 54 The leeks in the area described can start in two locations 1. the gunnel rivets and screws, the padded strip over the head board is held on with screws from under the rubber gunnel railing and on in to the backing plywood> so one needs to remove the filler strip to pull the screws, when you get the pad off you will also see rivets holding the gunnel on, seal all fasteners, I like 3MM 5200 or 4200. Now aft of the lower bunk compartment and above the water heater more rivets to seal, check the front of the air box to see if water marks are present. good luck.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

• Coyote54
        Coyote54 commented
        Editing a comment
        So it's unlikely that water is coming from the window mountings?

I just delet with one aspect of this and can offer some comments. The port and starboard decorative valances above the shelf are used to cover the rivets that hold on the base of the rub rail and the intersection of two pieces of the monkey fir. Instead of removing the rub rail, we simply pulled off the decorative valances from their screws, carefully. Once you remove these you can see where the water has enter d. We cut off the exposed screws and sealed the holes with 5200 from the inside, along with the exposed rivets. We recovered the valances, one of which had been damaged by a rat,replaced the monkey fir, and reattached the valances with Velcro. I also cleaned off the intersection of the run rail base with the hull on the outside and ran a bead of clear silicone caulk between the rub rail base and the hull.
      sigpicDave Stancil
      Bayliner #1 in slip
      1993 2859 Classic
      10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
      Bayliner #2 in garage
      2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

I just ordered a new pedestal seat set up to replace the stock fold down helm seat. From my initial look at it, it appears that I'll end up drilling through the floor/ceiling of the main bedroom and through bolting it through there. Looking for advice if anyone has installed a pedestal like this, and if it is in fact one solid piece of material?
        Really looking forward to having a decent swivel bucket seat.
        97 2859

Comment

I did it on my boat. It was fairly easy to bolt down the base, I have asked my wife to hold the bolts with screwdriver while I climbed in the midberth to tighten the nuts. I made the pedestal pretty high, so to increase stability I manufactured a triangular bracket out of the standard pedestal footrest. This bracket is clamped on the pedestal, and the opposing side is attached to existing slider bracket. Ended up rock solid and nice looking setup. I will make photos when I go to the boat next weekend.
          PS. The footrest I used for the upper stability bracket is available from Fisheries supply, just type "tod 5205" in the search window in their website.
          Alex
          1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
          1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Here's a picture of the footrest, easy to see how it can be attached to the side to make the pedestal more stable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	footRest.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	412522
            Attached Files
            Alex
            1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
            1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Good to see new projects, keep it up.
              Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
              96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fishaman View Post
                Here's a picture of the footrest, easy to see how it can be attached to the side to make the pedestal more stable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	footRest.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	412522
                Yes definitely want to see some pics. Did you install with the foot rest as a support from the start? Or did you find it to be a bit wobbly and add it as an afterthought?
                I did not order a foot rest with mine - I should check that out - I might want one for when I have the seat swiveled (which I'm guessing will be 90% of the time while fishing).
                97 2859

Comment

Working...
                X