No announcement yet.

Battery Drain Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anticipating extended periods away from mine IF I can ever get her finished up so I got a couple of 4"x12" solar panels and have mounted the to my arch. After killing batteries in my c/c either from forgetting to switch the MBSS off and the memory draw from the stereo and other items that still draw current when switched off, drawing them down and once a float switch sticking and the pump ran them down I always left a solar panel hooked to each battery and never had another issue. Panels typically have diodes that should prevent the batteries from reverse discharging through the panels. Via fused connections I will have the aft bilge and VHF wired directly to busses right off the house bank (so I can bail water and call for help if the rest of the electrical suffers catastrophic failure or I need to prevent failure quickly and disconnect) and barring another stuck float switch, I expect the panels should keep the bank "topped off" even with occasional pumping and draw from items using a 24/7 hot memory connection
    Hopefully you'll find a easy quick fix when you investigate. Good luck!
    Dave
    Dave
    N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
    1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
    5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
    Past:
    1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
    Mariner 150
    Towing with:
    2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
    West of Hickory NC

Comment

I added 2 battery monitors just so i can see if the charging system is working. Alternator while running or the battery charger when plugged in. One is wired direct to the house batteries and the other to the start battery. Both are hooked to a switch on the dash so they are not on all the time. Quick and easy reference. No guess work and no need to have to climb down to the batteries to try to attach a hand held VOM.

They are from blue seas. And cheap. Got them off ebay.
      Doug
      1995 496cu in. 2859 Bravo ll
      The Doghouse
      Prince George BC

Comment

Hi Gtown. I realize this thread is old, but just in case you are still having problems, let me help. I'm guessing you have the original CO monitor installed that came with the boat. They are life-limited parts good for about 10 years. Once they hit their limit, they start beeping to warn you. Mine drained my batteries doing exactly that. Replace your CO monitor, and it should fix the problem.

Comment

without reading all of the suggestions you have already recieved, I will add to them...

when the MBSS is off, make sure the charger is putting voltage into the "problem" battery.... if not, this can be remedied. BUT.... as the battery seems to be dead after awhile, there IS a problem somewhere, and its possible that the battery itself is bad, so it needs to be load tested, and if possible, have the individual cells tested for specific gravity. this should be the first step in the troubleshooting process, because if the battery is faulty, its futile to look elsewhere for the problem.

if the battery is proven to be good, then with a simple multimeter, you can connect it in line (series) with the battery lead, and then disconnect the circuits one by one (suspect circuits first) and by process of elimination, find which circuit has the voltage drain... once its located, the fix is usually obvious.

if you had a sensitive amp-clamp, you could just place it around individual wires until you find the wire that shows any current flowing thru it....

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Centerline2 View Post
            without reading all of the suggestions you have already recieved, I will add to them...

when the MBSS is off, make sure the charger is putting voltage into the "problem" battery.... if not, this can be remedied. BUT.... as the battery seems to be dead after awhile, there IS a problem somewhere, and its possible that the battery itself is bad, so it needs to be load tested, and if possible, have the individual cells tested for specific gravity. this should be the first step in the troubleshooting process, because if the battery is faulty, its futile to look elsewhere for the problem.

if the battery is proven to be good, then with a simple multimeter, you can connect it in line (series) with the battery lead, and then disconnect the circuits one by one (suspect circuits first) and by process of elimination, find which circuit has the voltage drain... once its located, the fix is usually obvious.

if you had a sensitive amp-clamp, you could just place it around individual wires until you find the wire that shows any current flowing thru it....
            Exactly. The on board charger (assuming it at least a dual bank charger) must supply charge current to both battery banks regardless of the selection made at the MBSS. This ensures both banks stay topped off while connected to shore power even if the Mercathode, CO detector, or whatever is drawing on the DC system.
            BTW op did replaced the questionable battery and had the same result.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
            X