Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 300 / 315 performance

Hi fellow Bayliner owners...

I’m considering upgrading my current 245 to a 300 or 315, which would most likely be powered by the twin 4.3 220 HP Mercruiser variant...

Given that my 245 has the 2.8 diesel we don’t tend to use a huge amount of fuel cruising around the Solent...

Would anyone be able to share or point me towards what sort of performance I could expect with the twin 4.3 engines? I can’t seem to find any info that details this, ie what sort of RPM would I be looking at for a good cruising speed, and what speeds equate to a rough RPM.

Any assistance much appreciated.

Many thanks,

JW

You have a single or twin diesels? Not at all familiar woth that boat. But if its single you probably cant do it, or the work would be no where worth it. Also, not sure why you want to drop the diesel but if it were me id love to have diesel over gasser.

As for performance, i see twin 4.3's in boats under 30' loa. Probably in the 6-8k lbs weight range. Not sure how they perform probably decently enough, but 90% of boats are under powered.

I saw a 27' formula with twin 4.3. Same boats have twin 5.7 or a single 454. I have a 31 pc with twin 454's and even stock 310 horse they are pretty good for power to weight but most boats like i said are under powered. Im rebuilding mine to produce 450-500 each. I dont believe in being under powered.

Wish i had diesels though..
    1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
    1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
    2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Comment

Ill tell you exactly what others will say, fill out your sig, what boat, your location you boat.

That will be info needed to help answer
      1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
      1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
      2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
      Michigan

Comment

I'm guessing you may mean the 305? Mine has twin 5.7's. I cruise at 3600-3800 RPM's depending upon load and conditions giving me a speed of about 32-ish. The 305/3055 is a heavy boat, 11,000lbs dry. I would be concerned about the torque the V6's would (or would not produce) in regards to moving such a heavy boat. I know they were available but I would recommend going with at the minimum the 5.0 V8's.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks Phil,

The 2 models in question are the 300 and 315, dry weight of just over 9000 lbs, I believe the V6 were the standard options fitted at manufacture...

The primary reason for considering this engine would be the cost of fuel in the UK, hopefully they might be a bit more economic on fuel than the V8s.

Thanks for the info.

JW

Comment

The 300 replaced the 305/3055, and is slightly less beam and length. I believe the 300's first year was 2007, also the last year for the 305. A year or two later, the 300 was re-named the 315, but it's the same boat.
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ
            sigpic
            2000 Bayliner 2858
            "GETAWAY"
            MMSI: 338094599
            In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
            X