Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 2775 Ciera Repower Questions

Greetings all,
    Newb here. I am now the proud owner of a 1989 2775 Ciera. I am starting a repower project, Removing a nice running 5.8 OMC and dropping in a 496 Bravo 1. The little 351 just a bit underpowered.
    Couple of questions. I know the boat was optioned with a 460 King Cobra, but Im a bit worried about clearance with the engine bay cover, anyone running this combo?
    Second question. How does one remove the rear seat above the transom?
    1990 Four Winns 200 Horizon 5.7 OMC(sold)
    1989 Bayliner 2775 Ciera building 496 and Bravo 1 Mercruiser.

If you have a ford setup i dont think a chevy block will bolt up. Also a 496 is a massive engine for that drive. A sb stroker would serve you well and far less expensive
    1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
    1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
    2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Comment

Oh youre swapping to a bravo. Still a built sb 383 is a great choice.

Anchor bay clinton river
      Michigan

Comment

If it’s an 89 OMC, it’s gotta be a chev 350. The big block should drop in with the bravo inner transom plate because the big block and small block plates are the same. However, you may find that changing the propeller pitch will take care of the underpowered feeling. Try a new one, not one that has been on the blocks unless you have a really really good prop shop working with you. It may only take an inch of pitch or half an inch in diameter to make a huge difference. Also, if there is a four blade option that may work best. As boats get older and owners add stuff that regularly stays aboard, the normal load condition is changed and performance can suffer.
        As to the upper bolster, you should be able to see the fasteners by laying on the deck and looking under the transom gunnel.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

1989 2755s (not 75s ) were exclusively Ford power, including the small block standard engine. So you are yanking and replacing pretty much everything.

The good news is a 496 will be MORE than enough power for that boat. Keep us updated!
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Finally got some parts back from the machine shop and started some assembly. I have been slowly cleaning and painting all of the engine accessories on my free time at work. Just about finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
              If it’s an 89 OMC, it’s gotta be a chev 350. The big block should drop in with the bravo inner transom plate because the big block and small block plates are the same. However, you may find that changing the propeller pitch will take care of the underpowered feeling. Try a new one, not one that has been on the blocks unless you have a really really good prop shop working with you. It may only take an inch of pitch or half an inch in diameter to make a huge difference. Also, if there is a four blade option that may work best. As boats get older and owners add stuff that regularly stays aboard, the normal load condition is changed and performance can suffer.
              As to the upper bolster, you should be able to see the fasteners by laying on the deck and looking under the transom gunnel.
              I bought the boat and had it a Powell for 1 trip. We knew it was needing an upgrade, but we played with props during the trip and it was no help. Checked timing, carb, etc. but this thing was just a turd. It ran its little heart out for 95 miles WFO! I want power to pop up on plane and pull back to cruise 30 mph. That is a good speed for Powell.

Comment

I’d still look into a 383 stroker. It’s still a small block. I owned a 90 2755 and there is just no room in the engine bay to begin with. I had a 5.7 Mercruiser in mine but they did come with a Ford 460 option prior to 1990. There is just no room to work on anything in there with the big block. Yes, they are underpowered but there not supposed to be a race boat.
                1990 2755 - sold
                2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

I put a 495 in a 2859, and was very pleased with the results.

27 knot cruise!

1NMPG at cruise

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                  https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

They run 383 in bigger heavier boats than yours, food for thought.

In my 2655 i use to run 30-35 wot. New engine, still 5.7 sbc, wouldnt break 27.
                    it was a bad build... regardless playing with prop, eventually the factory 15.5x15 was pretty good. Only thing from there i could run was a rare 15x13. Which if i had a heavy load 5 plus people did the trick. Slow cruise speed is what it is, for me it's available power if you hit wind or rough waters and wish to remain on plane.

i think to up a cruise from say 25 to 30 takes a massive amount more power and probably regearing the drive. In the end you will burn fuel for it all and whats it mattet? These are cruisers you get there when you get there.
                    i got 1.4-1.5 out of my sbc cruise 23mph

Anchor bay clinton river
                    Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by businessgetmoney View Post
                      They run 383 in bigger heavier boats than yours, food for thought.

In my 2655 i use to run 30-35 wot. New engine, still 5.7 sbc, wouldnt break 27.
                      it was a bad build... regardless playing with prop, eventually the factory 15.5x15 was pretty good. Only thing from there i could run was a rare 15x13. Which if i had a heavy load 5 plus people did the trick. Slow cruise speed is what it is, for me it's available power if you hit wind or rough waters and wish to remain on plane.

i think to up a cruise from say 25 to 30 takes a massive amount more power and probably regearing the drive. In the end you will burn fuel for it all and whats it mattet? These are cruisers you get there when you get there.
                      i got 1.4-1.5 out of my sbc cruise 23mph
                      I liken the bigger motor consuming more fuel to aviation. A cessna 150 burning 4 gallons per hour at 100 mph cruise is no more efficient than a 200mph cirrus burning 8 gallons per hour when going from point A to point B. That’s my goal. Getting there quicker at relatively equal fuel burn.

Comment

Yep thats the debate

Anchor bay clinton river
                        Michigan

Comment

Comment

The Repower is complete and I am very satisfied with the results!
                            got her up to 44 on gps with rough water and heavy winds. First run and the 19 pitch was not enough, switched to a 21 and it’s perfect! 4600 WOT. 30mph cruise at 3000 rpm. Gotta love that!

Comment

Working...
                            X