1980 Bayliner Saratoga. Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Bayliner Saratoga. Restoration

Okay boys here it is a 1980 Bayliner Saratoga with a 350 it's locked as of now. I got a lot of questions I'm good at cars but never had a boat this size before but always wanted one so any help or suggestions I am definitely open to. These cracks that I see I'm not sure if they're paint or what I'm assuming they are ..stringers. Are good did the Stringer test all seem to be hard solid and good to go. (Did the tap test ) Anybody done a full restoration on one of these boats not sure if I should sand it down paint it and start from scratch which is exactly what I think I need to do to make it right but any help will be helpful here .. I painted several cars in my day so I'm okay with paint or any kind of construction stuff...some pictures please address anything you can be most helpful

Attached files
    Last edited by ksanders; 11-08-2017, 11:43 PM.

That's not paint but fiberglass gel coat that's cracked. There are a few folks here who have or are in doing the same and you should checkout there threads, builderdude is one that comes to mind.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Try some Marine Tex
      1996 Bayliner 2452, 5.7, A1G2. Needs a lot of work!

Comment

What am I doing wrong? the pictures are little boxes with X's in them. Won't highlight or open
        Dave
        N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
        1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
        5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
        Past:
        1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
        Mariner 150
        Towing with:
        2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
        West of Hickory NC

Comment

Huey, the pics are no longer visible due to the crossover to the new format.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Lots of mine met the same fate.... I'm bringing back the gloss
            slowly to my 90. Polisher about beat me up till I realized the gel was worse than I knew. #600 stepped all the way through #2500 grit wet sanding by hand and with the D/A, THEN back to compounding and polishing with D/A and rotary. SLOW tedious process but I can see my reflection in the finished areas that used to be dull and chalky. Researched a few videos and did some "adaptive" shopping and came up with a
            method that did really well on the textured non-skid too. Posted that with pictures ( post reformatting) in the COMPLETED PROJECTS section.
            Dave
            N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2009
            1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
            5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
            Past:
            1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
            Mariner 150
            Towing with:
            2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
            West of Hickory NC

Comment

On my 1980 2650 Explorer I sanded the hull from the rub rail down to the anti fouling black with 80 grit keeping the DA orbital very flat with a thick cushion on the pad. I followed by repairing the various dings, dents and cracks with 3M body filler. I used a laser to re align the boot stripe and sanded the old stripes out. I and then applied a coat of two part polyurethane (PPG aviation paint out of date} over the entire area. The gel coat was rather thick, at least 1/8 so sanding a couple of thousands off did not compromise the strength.

The first PPG shoot was a base to work out the divots from the repairs and sanding. I guide coated the surface with black lacquer to keep track of my sanding and then used 320 on the entire hull and used a flourscent tube light to show shadows as I worked. Finally, I shot three coats of "Fighting lady yellow. However, as I painted this outside, I do have one area I need to redo, but it was ready to go the the water. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (12).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	400818
              2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
              previous boats,
              Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
              Great loop completed 2006
              10 year live aboard
              retired to land 2015
              rmitch

Comment

Working...
              X