January 5th, 2018...I now own a 1989 Bayliner 4588. Purchase price: $20k. The boat lived at Port Royal Marina for the first 6 weeks of my ownership. I then took the boat (sticks only, no steering) to Savannah to be shipped up to Lake Lanier, GA where I live. Thought I'd like to eventually put the boat back on the coast, this relocation allows me to be 15 minutes away from the boat and work on it daily. My primary gig is "delivery captain" for Singleton Marine Group at Lanier, so I have much better access to services and parts right here.

While I knew the boat was in questionable condition, it became really apparent just how bad things were once the boat arrived at the lake. Once the boat was on the travel lift water began spewing out of the keel towards the forward stateroom...god only knows how the boat hadn't previously sunk in Beaufort, but we surmise that 4 layers of hardcoat paint and at least 3 coats of barrier probably kept it together and that the lift in Savannah, trucking and the lift at Lake Lanier jostled the keel loose.

The boat stinks, mold and mildew from a leak in the port bow hatch on the forward deck, for years has let water drip through the office, down into the hull, probably the water that has been coming out of the hull. Last week I flex sealed both hatches, finally leak problem solved. While the PO had known of the problem, he said he had no idea of the leak location....seriously??

The motors run, the interior is in relatively good condition, but we will touch everything, I mean everything! So, I thought the blog might be a fun way of tracking the issues and the solutions.

Upon arrival at Lanier, I had the boat soda blasted which HAD to happen, and then spent 5 days sanding what was left. Now I have a sanded hull full of a 1000 pinky sized blisters. I bought 2 gallons of 3M marine premium filler and in between rain events I am trying to mix small batches to fill the blisters, hopefully sand all of that and getting on to barrier/bottom paint next week sometime. All new anodes, a new under platform swim ladder and underwater lights will follow on the next couple weeks, hoping to at least have the boat back in the water by the end of March.