Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: Loss of power, then backfiring after over an hour of hard travel underway

Loss of power, then backfiring after over an hour of hard travel underway 26 Sep 2017 20:51 #1

• davekost
  • davekost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Recently purchased a 2005 Bayliner 245 with a 5 litre Mercruiser and Alpha 1 leg. The motor was recently rebuilt by the previous owner due to improper storage over winter. The boat has very little usage, however symptoms have been showing up, most of which we solved at certified Merc dealer where the rebuild was done. There is 1 reoccurring symptom that has the mechanics baffled. After being underway, and keeping its comfortable cruising speed of 25 knots and the RPMs at around 3800 for over an hour, there is a noticeable loss of power, followed by backfiring through the carburetor. When this starts to happen, I reduce the throttle, and the engine remains idling, however it has no power and will continue to backfire if I continue to go forward. The mechanics have taken it out on several sea trials, and have given it a clean bill of health every time, but they haven't taken it out long enough for this symptom to appear. The symptom doesn't show up until after an hour. We have to wait for the engine to cool down for several hours, and then we can get underway again. As a blind attempt, the mechanical fuel pump was changed out, however that was just a guess. The problem still remains. The fuel has been repeatedly inspected for any turbidity or water. None has been found. The mechanics are just guessing at this point. Has anyone had any experience with this, and/or any solutions to this problem? Thanks Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Loss of power, then backfiring after over an hour of hard travel underway 26 Sep 2017 21:20 #2

• Don77
  • Thank you received: 12
Welcome!
Please fill out your signature so we know more about the boat and where you boat! It helps us help you!!
Ck the fuel system, fuel filter, pump and carb!
Sounds like it is leaning out !
Remove the fuel filter and pour the contents into a glass jar, let it set over night , if there is water in there you well see it at the bottom of the jar!
Cut open the filter to see if there is any crud in it! If so you may have to drain the tank !
Don
The following user(s) said Thank You: davekost

1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
"Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Loss of power, then backfiring after over an hour of hard travel underway 26 Sep 2017 21:29 #3

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
Welcome! Please add your boat information and where you are to your signature.
I had a similar reaction, though very short duration, when doing a full throttle test on my last boat. It had a pair of 2001 4.3's, with 4bbl carburetors and counter rotating alphas. When I got the rpms to 4800, one of the props caught a bit of air and the overrev limiter kicked in. I thought I blew the engine up. Of course I brought everything to a stop, then had to restart both engines. The limiter reset and I was off again, able to cruise at the normal 3450. I'm thinking your limiter is engaging due to a buildup of heat. It's just a guess, but may help.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Loss of power, then backfiring after over an hour of hard travel underway 26 Sep 2017 22:23 #4

• Nauti Mike
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Perry Hall, MD
  • Thank you received: 359
Check to see if the fuel tank vent is clogged. Next time it happens loosen the gas cap to see if it recovers.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds