Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: Hello from Missouri

Hello from Missouri 29 Apr 2017 03:55 #1

• rw1349
  • rw1349's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello BOC,

I would like to introduce myself; I'm Richard, and I live Lynchburg, MO. (hour from Lake of the Ozarks). I retired from the Corps in 08 and have been working as a defense contractor ever since. I recently acquired my father’s boat after his passing last fall. It is a 1984 2750 Ciera Sunbridge with a single what I think is a Volvo Penta 260A w AQ280 outdrive “Copper Rose." She has been sitting out uncovered for about 6 or 7 seasons in the Sacramento area. I was out there a couple of months ago and pull the plug to release about a foot of rain water out of her.

I just had her towed to a shop today for a surveyor (non-bonded) of the trailer and her. She’s not going to be in pristine condition. Even though she was parked in running condition, I know it won’t be as easy as new battery and fluids and splash her back in. I just hope it will be minimum rot and delamination.

My vision is to get her back here to her new home and start going through one section at a time until she is restored and upgraded to last another 30 yrs. Later the first born will receive her for his enjoyment and to update with new technologies that will be around then, maybe a (self-launching and recovery and driven home by herself) self-driving conversion.

At first, she will be used as a weekender, then after my wife, and I fully retire again in a couple of years to hit the “loop” and bounce around for a couple of years thereafter. I call this my recon for our retirement golf course community, but time will tell.

Any ways, just wanted to introduce myself, and I look forward to picking the brains of the old salts on this site. I know my learning curve will start to run flat after I get and dive into her for repairs. I look forward to meeting and learning from you folks on the BOC and one-day drink a few beers with some out on the water.

Have a great weekend all.
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick
"Copper Rose"
1984 Bayliner 2750 Ciera Sunbridge
Volvo Penta 260A w AQ280 outdrive
Lynchburg, Missouri.

Hello from Missouri 29 Apr 2017 15:21 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Welcome to the BOC! Thank You for your service. Your vision for your dads boat is excellent. Don't be deterred by an issue of a soft transom. The repair is dirty and not fun getting the old stuff out, oh, that sounds like doing the blackwater system. That too. Only a foot of rain water isn't bad for that long out and uncovered.
I wish you a good, uneventful trip getting it back home. Keep us up to date as you restore her and take lots of pictures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rw1349

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Hello from Missouri 29 Apr 2017 16:31 #3

• rw1349
Thank you, I’m definitely looking at this as “expecting for the worse and hoping for the best” I see other threads were owners have started off where what appears to be an easy fix and turns out bigger and that’s what I’m expecting. I plan to go completely through her, not only for peace of mind but to know her inside and out. I’ve already started to build my tool kit for her based off the TK thread.

Pictures and questions will be following once she’s here and of course after I stand at the helm and make boat motor noises and doing my best Lt Dan's impression, “is that all you got" Lol. I truly can’t wait for this to begin.

Rick
"Copper Rose"
Lynchburg, Missouri.

Hello from Missouri 30 Apr 2017 14:54 #4

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Welcome! Nice retirement plan... I retired from Army in '12 and have been working a similar transition. B)

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hello from Missouri 30 Apr 2017 18:04 #5

• rw1349

rbrauerei wrote: Welcome! Nice retirement plan... I retired from Army in '12 and have been working a similar transition. B)

Thank you, and a nice looking boat you got there. It's good to have some extra $$ for boat upgrades from the retirement, best thing I ever did. Tried to steer the kids that way but the ex had to much influence at the time with me being gone all the time and all.

Rick
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Rick
"Copper Rose"
Lynchburg, Missouri.

Hello from Missouri 30 Apr 2017 23:13 #6

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63

rw1349 wrote:

rbrauerei wrote: Welcome! Nice retirement plan... I retired from Army in '12 and have been working a similar transition. B)

Thank you, and a nice looking boat you got there. It's good to have some extra $$ for boat upgrades from the retirement, best thing I ever did. Tried to steer the kids that way but the ex had to much influence at the time with me being gone all the time and all.

Rick

Thanks! We went smaller since we live on a fairly shallow creek and wanted to keep her at home. Anything larger just wouldn't work.

I know you have a project ahead of you with your boat, but since it's your father's boat, that's a project worth doing... Retiring...especially from the military is about re-connecting in many ways. I'm sure you will have a lot of stories to tell...as you work on the boat. I know a lot of folks want to travel and see the world when they retire and that's great. We're just happy to have our "Bay-cations" now. Anchored in a quiet cove, sipping some wine, chatting, with no where to be... After 30 years, that's our idea of fun. B)

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hello from Missouri 13 May 2017 18:39 #7

• Ed_Appleberry
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Richard, Welcome Aboard. I too am new to these Forums. Just wanted to Say hi, as we have a couple of things in Common. 1) I'm about to get a bayliner for the first time myself. 2) I retired from the Army, two years ago. Thank you for your sevice. 3) I am from Missouri also. Lebanon, Mo, about 1/2 hours from the Lake of the Ozarks. I grew up enjoying and loving that Lake.

I cannot help you much with the process you are about to go to, as I am a newbe to all this. But I wanted to introduce myself, and wish you the best of luck! I moved to Seattle after I retired, for a Job opportunity, however i hope to someday soon, return to the Ozarks, and enjoy my real retirement there in that beautiful land, on that beautiful lake, with my beautiful famil!! I couldn't quite remember where Lynchburg was, had to look it up. Very close to Lebanon!! You are lucky to be there! Good luck Brother!

Ed

Last Edit: by Ed_Appleberry.
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds