Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: New to BOC and new to Yachting.

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 05:34 #1

• halfcreek
  • halfcreek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I am new to Yachting and sea boating. Actually, I live in Colorado and will visit my Boat several times a year. I Just purchased a 1995 3988 in Florida. It needs some repairs and updating before I can really enjoy it. I can do some repairs myself but I do not have a clue where to purchase parts. It will need a new steering arm and 4 supports for the swim platform to name a few. Anyone have any leads?
1995 3988
twin Hino 6 cyl 250 hp each
It looks like I need air and oil filters for the Hino's just to get started. All info would be greatly appreciated, from the few things I have read on this everyone seems very Helpful. thanks ahead, Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 06:11 #2

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Welcome to the forum!!
Congrats on the boat.
Your best bet for many things that are not specialized is your local marina or boat yard. Things get changed over the years, and even between the same model and year sometimes. It does make it tough when you live away from your boat, but the best bet is to take the parts in question off and get them matched up.
Which steering arm are you referring too, and what is the issue with it?

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 12:42 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
Welcome to the BOC....
"It looks like I need air and oil filters for the Hino's just to get started. All info would be greatly appreciated, from the few things I have read on this everyone seems very "

Please go to the MTY's section and click on the stickie "Hino and Cummins database' for a start.
The link is here....
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...atabase?limitstart=0

Then perhaps google what specific items you are concerned about such as "Bayliner 3988 steering arm BOC".

Hope this helps

Northport NY

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 14:29 #4

• halfcreek
The steering arm is the one that runs across the Transom...from rudder to rudder. It is corroded real bad.

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 14:35 #5

• halfcreek
I tried Googling the steering arm, but it just takes me to Bayliner pdf parts list for the 3988. But I will keep trying. I did find the Data on the Hino's...great info. Thanks

New to BOC and new to Yachting. 19 Apr 2017 19:43 #6

• Shawnh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 83

halfcreek wrote: I can do some repairs myself but I do not have a clue where to purchase parts. It will need a new steering arm and 4 supports for the swim platform to name a few. Anyone have any leads?

I spent a week searching for swim platform supports on a previous boat I had. At the recommendation of a marine supply store, I took off one that was the same that I needed and took it to a metal fabrication shop. In about 4 hours I had the replacement support I needed. The one I needed was 1 1/4" round stainless pipe that was flattened on the ends and bent at a specific angle on each end with a hole drilled through each flattened end for a bolt to go through. I don't think it was that hard for the place to make them. And they had the stainless in stock

If you still have any supports under the swim platform and they look fairly easy to fabricate, this might be the best way to get new ones for your boat.

The steering arm might be something you can ask about at a local boat yard in Florida (or at least where to look). I would guess these are pretty easy to get once you know the size you need. Every twin rudder boat has these.
The following user(s) said Thank You: halfcreek

1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
S. Puget Sound
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds