Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: New Member

New Member 11 Apr 2017 17:31 #1

• Axel
  • Axel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone i recently acquired a 1986 2450 sunbridge for basically nothing. It was being restored by a gentleman until he had some health problems and it was given to me. I don't think he made it to far into it. The engine is supposed to be rebuilt and it was winterize but has been sitting a few years. I going to start a thread to post updates about working on it but it will probably take a little while because I don't have alot of time to work on it between work and a new baby. Just wanted to introduce myself I will go into more detail in the restoration thread I start.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member 12 Apr 2017 00:50 #2

• Gtown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66
Welcome and good luck with your new babies!

New Member 12 Apr 2017 01:44 #3

• philipwith1l
  • Away
  • 2000 2859
  • Thank you received: 8
congrats on getting your new boat. Wow, the three axle trailer is a bit of overkill, but will more than handle the 24. Looks like its in pretty good shape to start with. Best of luck.

New Member 12 Apr 2017 05:52 #4

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 171
Nice project boat. It doesn't look bad in the photo. Welcome to BOC!

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

New Member 12 Apr 2017 06:35 #5

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 676
Welcome to the BOC!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

New Member 12 Apr 2017 06:52 #6

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Welcome. We bought a 1895 2450 new in 12/84. It was a great boat until we suddenly went from two kids to four. God does have a sense of humor and he is still laughing at me. There are going to be some issues, but think of them in the same way you would eat an elephant. One bite at a time. Unless you have a shop or barn to work in, I would be very tempted to pull the engine and drive system and get them in someplace climate controlled. Pictures to document everything as it comes apart along with lots of notes and fasteners in labeled ziplock bags. This is going to give you really good access to any engine room repairs or modifications. The upholstery may be okay but the frames not so much. They are pretty simple to replicate and it's a good chance to build your tool inventory. Even if you are going to have someone else do the upholstery, building the framework can save you a bundle.
I start these kinds of projects with an excel spreadsheet that starts with top level items and then I add detail as it comes up. I keep notes of where that item is available (price comparison required) and then the actual price paid to whom. This allows me to plan when something needs to be done, when something can be made ready to install and set aside, when to pounce on good deals and an overall sequence, making removing several things to install something that needed to go in first less likely. It also helps when ithe Admiral calls for an audit. What can I say, I married a Business Education Teacher.
I'd be happy to share a workbook you can modify the heck out of. I could even start you with a bare bones workbook based on some pictures and a phone call or two.
Please add some details about yourself, where you live and plan to use you boat once it's ready.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

New Member 12 Apr 2017 14:30 #7

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
Welcome. I know 2450s well, so ask if you have questions.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New Member 13 Apr 2017 14:11 #8

• Axel
  • Axel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks to everyone in advance. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Although I'm not new to mechincal work, I have built cars and other types of vehicles and I'm a cnc machinest by trade, I am new to boats. My dad is a wood worker and has had plenty of boats in his day so bewteen the two of us we should have it covered. I plan on doing everything ourselves. I don't get to keep the trailer in the picture. Pcpete i would like to see an example of your workbook. Which forum should I start my restoration thread in?

Last Edit: by Axel. Reason: Misspelling

New Member 14 Apr 2017 08:09 #9

• RGrew176
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
You will find the 2450 to be a very seaworthy boat. I had an 87 and it could go anywhere. 8 to 9 foot waves were no problem, at least on Lake Erie. Good luck.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

New Member 14 Apr 2017 16:27 #10

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Axel, you have a pm.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

New Member 14 Apr 2017 20:30 #11

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553

Axel wrote: Thanks to everyone in advance. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions. Although I'm not new to mechincal work, I have built cars and other types of vehicles and I'm a cnc machinest by trade, I am new to boats. My dad is a wood worker and has had plenty of boats in his day so bewteen the two of us we should have it covered. I plan on doing everything ourselves. I don't get to keep the trailer in the picture. Pcpete i would like to see an example of your workbook. Which forum should I start my restoration thread in?

The 2450 is a pretty simple boat. If you understand mechanical work, the engine is a GM V8 (either 305 or 350), and the drive is (or SHOULD be) a Volvo Penta, which is about as smooth and reliable as you will find. Get it set up and update the maintenance, and the drivetrain is pretty much bulletproof. We have experts on VPs here in the Technical Forum, or if you want we can just tell you what to start with.

Aside from the mechanics, there's not much to the 2450. Most of it is wood structure and RV type systems, so just care and maintenance. SHe's a seaworthy boat and they used the basic hull (rubrail down) on 3 separate models - your sunbridge, a command bridge model, and the hardtop Trophy fishing version. It remains one of Bayliner's Greatest Hits, and there's still a TON of them out there.

For your restoration thread, I would focus on posting it after it's done, and to do that, I would put it in Completed Projects.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds