Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: Just bought first boat! Now have some questions!

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:25 #1

• LzyPenguin
  • LzyPenguin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys! I am proud to say I just purchased my first boat! A 2007 bayliner 175 with the 3.0 merc engine. I am really happy with the purchase, I just have a few questions.

The previous owner told me to make sure I pull out the radio face when I'm done using it so it won't drain the battery, is there anything else I need to turn off or unplug before storing the boat?

When I am first launching the boat, I start it up and let it run in neutral for a bit, and rev it up a bit to get the engine to 175° before trying to put it in gear, but even then, when I put it into reverse, unless I give it a good amount of throttle it will just keep dying. But once I get it on the lake and running around a bit, I can shut it off and it will start up no problem and run no problem. Is this normal?

Shifting from forward to reverse is pretty tough. I've read I should replace the cables with Teleflex X-Treme cables (now SeaStar) but I don't know what size to get? Where would I find this information?

The steering at low speeds is fine, but when I'm going 20+ the steering is really tight. I'm assuming that's normal right?

Since I just purchased this boat and only had it on the water a couple times, is there anything I should go just have looked at before i continue using it? Or what other maintenance things should I check on?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 Bayliner 175

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:31 #2

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sequim, WA
  • Thank you received: 154
Welcome to BOC and being a new Bayliner owner.

It would help a lot to fill in your profile and signature space, so members know immediately where you live, what your hobbies and talents are, and what you use the boat for. Just click on your name and follow the instructions.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:40 #3

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418

LzyPenguin wrote: Hi guys! I am proud to say I just purchased my first boat! A 2007 bayliner 175 with the 3.0 merc engine. I am really happy with the purchase, I just have a few questions.

The previous owner told me to make sure I pull out the radio face when I'm done using it so it won't drain the battery, is there anything else I need to turn off or unplug before storing the boat?
Nope

When I am first launching the boat, I start it up and let it run in neutral for a bit, and rev it up a bit to get the engine to 175° before trying to put it in gear, but even then, when I put it into reverse, unless I give it a good amount of throttle it will just keep dying. But once I get it on the lake and running around a bit, I can shut it off and it will start up no problem and run no problem. Is this normal?
not normal...either engine is not tuned or a lower shift cable is needed

Shifting from forward to reverse is pretty tough. I've read I should replace the cables with Teleflex X-Treme cables (now SeaStar) but I don't know what size to get? Where would I find this information?
could be the upper or lower

The steering at low speeds is fine, but when I'm going 20+ the steering is really tight. I'm assuming that's normal right?
normal, most 3.0 is not power assisted

Since I just purchased this boat and only had it on the water a couple times, is there anything I should go just have looked at before i continue using it? Or what other maintenance things should I check on?
pull the drive, check everything at the transom

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:42 #4

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810

LzyPenguin wrote: Hi guys! I am proud to say I just purchased my first boat! A 2007 bayliner 175 with the 3.0 merc engine. I am really happy with the purchase, I just have a few questions.

i did the same with my runabout
sounds a bit "cold blooded" but not out of the ordinary for a 10 year old boat. What's the engine idle at when she's finally warm?
Shifting from forward to reverse is pretty tough. I've read I should replace the cables with Teleflex X-Treme cables (now SeaStar) but I don't know what size to get? Where would I find this information? The cables could be worn some after 10 years. There should be some numbers on the cable jackets themselves near either end to verify type and length

your boat is likely fitted with a rack & pinion cable type steering system, so yes it's normal. Trim the drive up/down at speed will have an effect on how hard the helm wheel pulls/feels.
Since I just purchased this boat and only had it on the water a couple times, is there anything I should go just have looked at before i continue using it? Or what other maintenance things should I check on? drive mantainence is extremely important. If it hasn't been done in the last two years then it should be.
welcome to the club ;)

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:58 #5

• LzyPenguin
Thank you both for your responses.

I'll look into the drive maintenance, I'm sure I can find a guide online somewhere to follow.

The previously owner actually did use the words cold blooded when explaining the stalling at first. Is this something I could try and diagnose myself (i do most stuff for my truck, like changing spark plugs, breaks, starters, etc) or something that without quite a bit of boat engine experience I should take to a boat shop to have looked at?

Also, in regaurds to it stalling when I first launch it. Is that hurting the boat/engine? Should I get that fixed before continuing to use it?

Thanks

2007 Bayliner 175

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 16:59 #6

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Welcome! First question first, you can install a battery switch that goes between the battery and the engine using the red wire. If there are other wires connected to the positive post of the battery, they should also move to the engine side of the switch EXCEPT the bilge pump automatic float switch. If you decide to leave the boat overnight and turn off the battery you really want that bilge pump to work if it needs to. If you don't have an automatic float switch on it, install one.
As to warming the engine up, in my experience, I only need to wait until the automatic choke opens. That's when the engine goes from about, say 1000rpm to 2100rpm and you pull the throttle back. Shifting a Merc is kind of reverse thinking. You want to shift it it fast in and out of gear because several things happen as the cable moves. There is an spring loaded interrupter plate on the engine where the shift cable from the control ties to the cable that goes to the drive. It has a micro switch that grounds the ignition momentarily as the cable pushes or pulls in or out of gear. The reason for that is the shifting gears in the lower unit need a bit of slack to engage, so if you are gentle and slow going in and out of gear those shifting gears miss the sweet spot of slack and grind just a bit, but grind. Try a bit of motor oil on the shafts at the cable connections on that plate and see if that helps. If you decide to replace the cables, there are numbers printed on the plastic housing about a foot from the end, but may be at the control end or the engine end, they are both the same.
As to the steering getting tight, if it is directional, hard one direction, easy the other, you need a trim tab anode with a fin. It goes just behind and above the prop. By turning the fin a few degrees from straight ahead the fin counteracts the force of the prop wash. properly adjusted you can go hands free form the steering wheel.
Be sure everything is greased using the proper lube. The gimbal bearing uses a different grease from the pins so be aware of that. There are parts microfiche available on the web and manuals too. I used the Merc or Quicksilver motor oil, but that was just my preference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jwilliams71

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 17:41 #7

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
"when I put it into reverse, unless I give it a good amount of throttle it will just keep dying."
Don't tell me , you're increasing the throttle then put it into reverse :pinch:

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 26 Mar 2017 18:26 #8

• LzyPenguin
No, basically I'll start up the engine. Rev it and Let it run and warm up. Then I'll put it back into neutral (idle) and then if I just kinda slide it back into reverse slowly it will die. I have to do it pretty quickly and give it a little more gas than I would like to have to to keep the engine from dying.

2007 Bayliner 175

Just bought first boat! Now have some questions! 27 Mar 2017 16:35 #9

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 810
Quick shifting is correct. Maybe time for a tune up.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds