Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788!

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 15 Jan 2017 05:19 #1

• Technomadia
  • Technomadia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Greetings Everyone -

We've been full-time RVers & perpetual nomads for the past 10 years.

Our next adventure - we are aiming to begin alternating between life in our vintage bus conversion and slowly working our way around the Great Loop, and we are hoping to find and buy a boat within the next few months to get started.

We've been actively boat shopping for the past few months, and though we started out craving a traditional sundeck trawler we've lately fallen completely in love with the Bayliner 4788 - and now we just need to find the perfect one for us.

Anyway - we are officially de-cloaking here. Hi all!

Cheers,

- Chris & Cherie // www.technomadia.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
"Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
"Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
Now intending to spend half the year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 17 Jan 2017 07:22 #2

• Mr. Darcy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 170
Welcome aboard the BOC! It is everything boats, so hopefully you will get some direction on the vessel you desire.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 18 Jan 2017 15:45 #3

• Dadrock33
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 71
Hey Chris and Cherie, Welcome to the Puddle!!! You're gonna love this place, so hope you stick around and find that one boat that satisfies your cruising thirst!! Sounds like you've already found it too. Personally, I like the 4788 too but there aren't too many over here on the "right" coast. . . . most of them seem to congregate up in the NW . . . don't know why? :whistle: . . . . . Some nice ones around though so keep looking and I imagine we'll hear of your "sale pending" posting in the near future . . . maybe I can beat you to the punch but I doubt it . . :S . . . Admiral is having other plans, I think.

Keep us posted and don't forget the pictures . . . . . we live through them . . . since we're expecting snow here pretty soon . . . :side:

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 18 Jan 2017 20:12 #4

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Welcome to BOC :)

Good luck with your search, but as you go you may find others that fit your needs. If you're in the financial bracket for a 4788 you will find a ton of boats to look at.

Let us know how you proceed.

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 27 Jan 2017 17:23 #5

• Technomadia
We found an awesome 4788 - and our offer was just accepted!

Now to find a surveyor - any recommendations within range of Punta Gorda, FL would be appreciated.

We also need to figure out a dingy - the lifting davit on our (soon!) 4788 was never installed and the top deck is a large social space. Instead there are what I believe to be Weaver davits on the swim platform. Anyone have any dingy suggestions?

So much to learn, so exciting. Egads!

Cheers!

- Chris

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 27 Jan 2017 22:09 #6

• Oakland4788
  • Thank you received: 32
Congrats!

Blake Davis....the "Pilot House King". ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) is a knowledgeable resource. He is based in Florida. He is a broker but may have suggestions.

He was a big help when I was buying my boat in California. He has a website with some good information about Bayliner's.

I am going to the Miami boat show and will be looking to buy Blake a cocktail or two as a token of my appreciation.

Bob

2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
Sanger wakeboard boat
volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 28 Jan 2017 04:29 #7

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Welcome aboard BOC

Congrats on the yacht. Hoping the survey goes well.

Personally I would prefer weaver davits or similar over the hoist on the deck. One, the additional deck space and 2, those hoists are notorious for having issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 28 Jan 2017 04:50 #8

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Welcome to the forum!!
I agree with Phil, the davits on the swim platform will be the way to go, unless of course you are a hardcore fisherman, then the crane will be a better choice. It all really depends on how often you intend to use the dingy. I would start with the davit system. You can also get the pivot mount for the outboard, so that it keeps level when you pull the tender up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 30 Jan 2017 00:29 #9

• Technomadia
Thanks everyone for the reassurances about having the davits on the swim platform. I think that will work out great for us.

But now there are some dinghy questions looming since we are starting from scratch.

What type / size dinghy should we get? What size outboard?

Are there any good dinghy options that can also be used to have fun sailing about?

So much to research over the next month... Exciting!

Cheers!

- Chris

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 30 Jan 2017 01:50 #10

• Zarn
  • Thank you received: 32
Our boat is half the size we have dingy davits on swim platform I highly recommend an inflatable no need for fenders for your dingy and when we are fishining I just drop the dingy in the water and tie it of to the front rail it can bounce off the side of the boat all it likes

Daniel Drummond.
Waitakere Auckland.
New Zealand.
2252 Hard Top.
Carbed 5.7 alpha one.

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 11 Mar 2017 20:24 #11

• Technomadia
And it is official!

We spent our first night onboard last night, and shared our first sunset and a brief tour via Facebook Live if you'd like to check it out.

Yeah! We are boat owners!

And we are so in love with the 4788 - what a beautiful boat.

Cheers everyone,

- Chris

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 11 Mar 2017 20:33 #12

• janas
  • Thank you received: 3
We have started searching for a 4788 and I hope we end up as excited and happy as the two of you!! Enjoy your beautiful boat!

Tom and Jana
1997 3988
"Full Circle"
Camano Island, WA

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 11 Mar 2017 21:26 #13

• higgins_jr
  • Thank you received: 357
Welcome aboard Chris & Cherie. You know the place to come for the ongoing queries you'll have. Your offer for the free tub chairs was very generous too and didn't go unnoticed. Looks like you'll have a local Florida taker. Just the gas and time for the drive pick up. I was gonna ask if you'd ship to Australia - just kidding.

Best wishes. Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We have found our 4788! 25 Mar 2017 14:57 #14

• Technomadia
We just published a video tour of our new 4788 - Y-Not.

Check it out here:

And here is our blog post with some more details

So many projects to tackle - tomorrow I may even brave trying to clean the engine sea strainers for the first time.

Cheers!

- Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: freedre

Last Edit: by Technomadia. Reason: Changed subject.

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 25 Mar 2017 21:12 #15

• westkal
  • Thank you received: 18
We have had 3 sets of Weaver davits on various boats and find that when the boat is on the grid, you pretty much are able to only look out the sides of the boat from the back deck. Ie it closes in the
cockpit
There is another issue. We consider our tender our liferaft and found that the weaver will not easily release if there is pressure on the tenders tube, say to having too much water in the bilge. Same with the Seawise
swim grid mounted set up.

Our newest boat a 490, same as the 4788,,, has the crane and we love it. The dinghy is out of the way, and we have great visibility from the cockpit.

The Weaver and the Seawise has a rod or post that is mounted on the grid so you cannot easily move from one side of the grid to the other.

Re dinghy
We have owned over many inflatables of various configurations, rigid hull glass, wood floor, and air deck and found that after a few years, there will be slow leaks which means pumping the tender up.
Our last tender was a 10 foot bullfrog with a 20 hp merc, electric start, tiller control. The tubes are ridged plastic so they do not bump into the main ship as soft as an soft sided hull but it has rarely been a problem.

Never have to deal with an air pump again, a plus for us

If you are only interested in a ship to shore, short distance, none motorized tender, an air deck inflatable can be hauled up by one person to the roof above the cockpit. You can of course put a small motor on it, but then need a place to store the motor. When we were configured this way, we had a 4 hp motor that had the fuel tank mounted on the top of the motor, so we did not have to deal with a plastic fuel tank.

Technomadia wrote: We found an awesome 4788 - and our offer was just accepted!

Now to find a surveyor - any recommendations within range of Punta Gorda, FL would be appreciated.

We also need to figure out a dingy - the lifting davit on our (soon!) 4788 was never installed and the top deck is a large social space. Instead there are what I believe to be Weaver davits on the swim platform. Anyone have any dingy suggestions?

So much to learn, so exciting. Egads!

Cheers!

- Chris

Last Edit: by westkal.

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 26 Mar 2017 01:51 #16

• HotwireJim59
  • Thank you received: 3
Haymaker At Banana belt boats. guy put a lot money into her. think they are asking 179ish

jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 26 Mar 2017 14:54 #17

• Technomadia

HotwireJim59 wrote: Haymaker At Banana belt boats. guy put a lot money into her. think they are asking 179ish

You must have missed the recent posts on this thread - we found our perfect 4788, and just shared a video tour filmed the day we moved aboard. *grin*

- Chris

Introduction from Chris & Cherie (aka Technomadia) - We are hunting for a 4788! 26 Mar 2017 15:42 #18

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 123
I really enjoyed "touring" your new boat! Well done on all fronts

Congrats and thanks for sharing

Y-Not is a great name as well.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds