Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 19 Apr 2016 01:49 #1

• seth6984
  • seth6984's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I've been boating for about 6 years. I started off with a 21' Mariah I/O, then went to a Maxum18' I/O, then tried my hand at an ill-fated 24' pontoon boat. After fighting with used boats for 6 years I'm tired of dealing with other people's problems and disappointed kids when they don't run.

I have been looking at the Element since it was revealed for 2013. I finally pulled the trigger on a new left-over 2014 16' Element with all the options. I found it at a dealer about 3 hours away for $16k and couldn't resist any longer.

I wanted to get on the BOC for some information and a place to document some FAQs I've been reading and now have answers for.

Some things of note for people looking to buy the Element that I wish I would have known:
  • The ski tower on 2013 and 2014 models is not hinged and is ~7'6" depending on trailer pitch. Bayliner changed to a hinged ski tower on the 2015 model and forward. This bit me where the boat won't fit in any garage I have access to due to it's height.
  • The boat does not have snaps for a mooring cover. I ordered the Bayliner mooring cover but it isn't here yet. I suspect it just cinches around the rub-rail, but I don't plan to moor it often. I just need the cover for outdoor storage in the summer until i can get a car-port for it since it won't fit in my garage!
  • The total length of the boat on the trailer with the engine trimmed down and the trailer tongue swung back is 19'8".
  • The total width at the trailer fenders is 8'.
  • Even though it's a 16 ' boat it has significantly more usable space than my 18' bowrider had with it's wider deck-boat-like bow.
  • The hull graphics are just decals that are not cleared over and will wear quickly. This is to be expected at this price point but I think it's worth noting.
  • The seats do have marine plywood as a base plate instead of hard plastic so in time, albeit a long time, they will rot which was disappointing. I take very good care of my boats but it just seems like using a hard plastic would be better long term.
  • Some of the fit and finish items like the helm switches and trim feel cheap. Again, this is to be expected on a boat at this price point.
  • The fuel tank is removable but it's pretty awkward to get a hold on to remove especially with fuel in the tank. I would have liked to have seen a handle on the top rather than molded grips on the sides. I'll probably rig up a harness and handle to remedy this.
  • The 2013 and 2014 models have two Mercury 60hp engine options. The 2015 and forward models have two 60hp engine options and a 75hp engine option. I have to say that EFI on a boat is amazing! The engine is surprisingly quiet even though it's right next to you.
  • I've found that the consensus on many forums is that the best all around prop upgrade is the Mercury Spitfire 13.8x13p 4 blade granting significant hole-shot and towing performance gains and only ~1mph top speed reduction.

I haven't had the boat in the water yet and I'll post back my impressions as soon as I do. However. I'm very happy with my purchase the boat is exactly what I wanted. The boat has the quality where it counts but you can tell where they cut costs and I'm fine with that given that I have a dependable brand new boat for $16k.

The trailer is slick and simple. The swing back tongue is genius and every trailer this size should be made this way. I will say that my trailer is noisy as it squeaks at every tiny bump.

I am very surprised that there isn't a transom saver or anywhere to mount a transom saver. It just doesn't feel right to have the weight of the outboard on four bolts on that small transom, but they designed it so who am I to question.

Over all the boat is beautiful and I've already gotten a lot of compliments just towing it home. I'm very excited to take the kids out for tubing and skiing without the stress of older boats. Our lake is a man made reservoir and is relatively calm, this is the perfect boat for it in my opinion.

I'm very impressed with Bayliner designing a boat to meet the needs of family day boaters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by seth6984.

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 19 Apr 2016 03:02 #2

• RGrew176
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 335
Welcome Aboard. Very nice and well written review of the Element. Look forward to your boating adventures and followup stories.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club
www.wrycc.com

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 20 Apr 2016 23:18 #3

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 92
Seth6984 wrote:
"The fuel tank is removable but it's pretty awkward to get a hold on to remove especially with fuel in the tank. I would have liked to have seen a handle on the top rather than molded grips on the sides. I'll probably rig up a harness and handle to remedy this."

I use a regular gas can with proper handle and a large funnel to fill mine up. I don't bother to remove the included tank. My boat is moored at my cabin/cottage for the season so I bring the gas to the boat instead of that awkward gas tank to the gas station.
Works for me.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 22 Apr 2016 20:53 #4

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Welcome to your new club, guys are awesome here, some a bit strange, but we put up with them..happy boating ahead, post a pic or two...keep safe , Marty :whistle:

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 11 May 2016 14:30 #5

• seth6984
I received the Bayliner cover last week and wanted to post my impressions.

The cover comes in an attractive dark slate color.

It is made by Westland and it's much heavier fabric than my previous Westland generic covers. It is made-to-order to fit the Element Sport Package precisely which proved to be the case for me.

The cover comes with short and long trailer tie downs through your normal cover loops. It also has a ratchet strap built into the edge seemed pocket with a protective pouch for the ratchet to be covered by while Mooring, both from banging on the boat and from the weather. The ratchet and pouch are located on the starboard stern side so if you're in a shared slip you would need to have the dock on your starboard side to tighten it without a lot of hassle. I tested the Mooring ratchet strap without the trailer straps and it holds snug under the rub rail. I'm confident it would hold fine in reasonable weather. Two telescopic aluminum poles are included fore and aft that snap into reinforced patches on the under side of the cover.

The cover has a three flap design to go around the ski tower legs that leaves little to no path for water to get in the boat.

I'm very impressed by the cover. I was a little concerned ordering it that for $700 it was just going to be a Bayliner badged Westland cheap cover, but the whole thing feels like quality and since I don't have indoor storage for the boat yet I'm glad I didn't go the cheap route.

Last Edit: by seth6984.

New to BOC with a 2014 Element Impressions 11 May 2016 14:34 #6

• seth6984
On the topic of covers; this is my first outboard powered boat, is there any reason to also cover the engine? I trim my engine down so the skeg is about 4 inches off the ground while it's not in use.

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds