Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 03 Apr 2016 02:17 #26

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 56
A CTek 5 amp charger will do it nicely, you can either fixed it permanently on your boat or remove it for use onshore. The cables are hooked up permanently to the battery with a connector (battery health LED optional), to remove the charger all you do is disconnect the connectors. Hope that makes sense!

Found a picture, speaks more than a thousand words.

I have the MX5.0 and it is just brilliant

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Serenity
ZME8168
1997 Ciera Express SE 2452
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand
Last Edit: by parrot fish. Reason: brevity

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 03 Apr 2016 02:20 #27

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 74
Ours doesn't have shore power either, but I added a smart charger in the engine bay when we got the boat. We keep it in a marina with shore power, so we have an extension chord in the slip to hook up to when we go home. We do a lot of fishing, which includes lots of starting and stopping, so it's nice to have a fully charged battery when we arrive. A smart charger also keeps the battery plates in good shape. It's always good to keep a n extension chord on board, even without shore power, for things like a TV in the cabin, or cooking stuff on a picnic table ashore.

1996 2252 LS Capri Cuddy Cabin. Merc. 5.7L . Port Perry, Ontario, Canada.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 03 Apr 2016 04:01 #28

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks for the tips on a charger, parrot and Ion... I think at some point, we are going to wish we had the charger; so, might be better just to add it now.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 03 Apr 2016 04:07 #29

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
No worries! Like what Ion said a smart charger is the way to go whichever brand you choose. :)

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 06 Apr 2016 18:08 #30

• jmayes
  • Thank you received: 1

Ion66 wrote: Ours doesn't have shore power either, but I added a smart charger in the engine bay when we got the boat. We keep it in a marina with shore power, so we have an extension chord in the slip to hook up to when we go home. We do a lot of fishing, which includes lots of starting and stopping, so it's nice to have a fully charged battery when we arrive. A smart charger also keeps the battery plates in good shape. It's always good to keep a n extension chord on board, even without shore power, for things like a TV in the cabin, or cooking stuff on a picnic table ashore.

What brand of Smart Charger did you purchase?

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 06 Apr 2016 18:08 #31

• jmayes
  • Thank you received: 1

parrot fish wrote: A CTek 5 amp charger will do it nicely, you can either fixed it permanently on your boat or remove it for use onshore. The cables are hooked up permanently to the battery with a connector (battery health LED optional), to remove the charger all you do is disconnect the connectors. Hope that makes sense!

Found a picture, speaks more than a thousand words.

I have the MX5.0 and it is just brilliant

Does this work for a 12V battery?

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 06 Apr 2016 18:34 #32

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
12v that's the same model I use.

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 07 Apr 2016 00:03 #33

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
parrot, I'm wondering if a 5amp charger would be sufficient for both a starting battery and a deep cycle battery. I'm definitely not an expert in this regard, but have been reading product descriptions of mounted smart-chargers that have a DC Output of 10 Amps that seem more in line with what I thought would be appropriate. (I really don't need a charger that can be "portable" as it will be dedicated to boat use.)

Since I will have two batteries, I am thinking of this one is closer to what I need, plus marine application.

I have emailed my dealer for his recommendation.

And it has a port outlet option

This message has attachments images.

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 07 Apr 2016 02:08 #34

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
ProMariner has another worth considering

This message has an attachment image.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 07 Apr 2016 03:16 #35

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
In my opinion any small capacity smart charger will be up to the task as what you are expecting from it is maintaining a float charge.

I could be wrong but I've been using this set up and it works for me. I do have a vsr too.

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand
Last Edit: by parrot fish.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 07 Apr 2016 04:14 #36

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 74

jmayes wrote:

Ion66 wrote: Ours doesn't have shore power either, but I added a smart charger in the engine bay when we got the boat. We keep it in a marina with shore power, so we have an extension chord in the slip to hook up to when we go home. We do a lot of fishing, which includes lots of starting and stopping, so it's nice to have a fully charged battery when we arrive. A smart charger also keeps the battery plates in good shape. It's always good to keep a n extension chord on board, even without shore power, for things like a TV in the cabin, or cooking stuff on a picnic table ashore.

What brand of Smart Charger did you purchase?

I don't actually remember the brand. It's quite similar to the two larger chargers that others have posted.

1996 2252 LS Capri Cuddy Cabin. Merc. 5.7L . Port Perry, Ontario, Canada.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 07 Apr 2016 14:36 #37

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
My dealer got back to me and has recommended the NOCO Gen2 20 amp in Post #33. Along with the deck plug installed in the transom. Which coincidentally matches my previous independent research.

Edited to add: Just finished reading a lot of online reviews and spec sheets for this charger and it definitely looks like a good product and exactly what I'm looking for to maintain/charge the 24MHC starting battery and 24DC "house" battery.

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei. Reason: Additional info

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 13 Apr 2016 20:25 #38

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
I need to get this boat in the water soon because I have too much time on my hands and am coming up with too many ideas from reading BOC that are costing me money! :lol:

Thinking about putting this Blue Seas BelowDeck™ Panel in the cuddy cabin instead of just a 12V outlet...

And a Dual USB Charger Socket on the port side dash alongside the stereo...

This message has attachments images.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 13 Apr 2016 22:55 #39

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
B) lol there is always another toy to add ...b.o.a.t. :)

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 13 Apr 2016 23:13 #40

• parrot fish
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Sometimes I think that working on the projects is more fun than boating... :huh:

Serenity
ZME8168
Mercruiser 5.7L

Auckland, New Zealand

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 04 May 2016 22:13 #41

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Well, she's officially our's! Yesterday, we paid off the balance owed and spent almost 4 hours going over the boat for final inspection, including about an hour on the water taking her through the paces. Man, this boat rides nice! I need some practice getting her up on plane quickly and getting used to the trim, but once she's up on plane this boat is so smooth. B)

Only a minor problem with the transom shower hose not retracting completely (seems like an easy fix for the dealer) and we had them add a float switch for the bilge - after reading much discussion here on BOC about Bayliner's mysterious reason for not including this as standard. The dealer said they've brought this up to Bayliner several times and have decided they are just going to add them to new boats upon arrival as dealer prep.

We spent so much time going over the boat and talking to all the dealer reps - parts, service, etc, that we didn't even take time to take any photos! I was shocked because my wife is usually all about the photos - photography is one of her hobbies. I think she's just excited to learn as much about the boat herself - she was taking notes while I discussed the engine etc with the dealer's Captain.

Since we are keeping it at our home dock on a lift, we didn't get a trailer. They will trailer it to a ramp about a 20 minute cruise from our creek next Monday.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 04 May 2016 22:27 #42

• scout265
  • Thank you received: 20
Congrats! Agree that the ride on it is pretty awesome and handles chop and wakes very well. We've had trouble with that transom showerhead as well. The button kept sticking on it so I took it apart and put some lube in there to fix. Plus you have to pull on it at just the right angle to get it out. Look forward to seeing some pics!

2016 Bayliner 642 Overnighter / 4.5L Mercruiser 200
Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 11 May 2016 22:36 #43

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Well, this should be the last post to close this "new member" thread about our 642. She is now resting comfortably in her lift at our dock. We named her "Our Dream" - after much deliberation over almost 75 potential names. It's been my wife's dream since she was a little girl to have a house and a boat on the Bay. It's been my dream to give her both since I met her over 30 years ago. As I type this, I'm looking at the boat from the window, thinking - "Yea, she's safe and comfy."

So, we had her trailered from the dealer to a ramp closer to our home creek on Monday. We launched her with a ceremonial bottle of Proseco - a nod to our time living near Italy and the Adriatic. And the adventure began. Monday was a rough weather day on the Chesapeake Bay, but we persevered. And we gained a lot of experience with the boat. The most important lessons learned - recognize your limitations and that boating is a "team sport." No room for egos. We can handle the boat, but realize getting some more personalized "captain's training" in our particular boat would be very beneficial. Already looking for local captains for some more personalized training.

And we made some new friends - in particular the lady at the fuel dock where we will likely fuel up all the time. It was also cool when the young lady at the local fishing tackle shop said, "It's expensive, but we sell these chart books all the time to real boat captains and regular people like you...not just fancy folks over at that marina." It's funny, but I do feel like my wife and I have a new baby. We talk and discuss things related to the boat just like we did with the children. We are coming to boat ownership late in life, but realize that it's still something special. Oh, and like kids. It's expensive! :lol:

Rick

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds