Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 03:56 #1

• rbrauerei
  • rbrauerei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Hello, everyone! Checking in to the BOC for the first time as a new "pending" Bayliner owner. I say "pending" because we only put down the deposit today on a 2015 642 Overnighter. (Probably won't take delivery until we get the lift installed on our dock.) New to boating as well - other than owning a tandem kayak and renting a boat now and then. It's been my wife's dream to own a boat since she was little and it's been my dream to make her happy since I met her... So, we decided this summer is the time. We saw this boat at the Annapolis Boat Show last October and it pretty much matched what we had thought we would want in a boat. Had the chance to test ride the boat today and were convinced by the power and smooth ride. We also test rode the V6 and came away even more convinced about the 642. We live on the Chesapeake Bay; so, most of our boating will be on the Bay with the potential for overnight if the mood strikes. I've enjoyed reading this evening many of the topics on the forum and look forward to learning as much as possible from the captains and crew here at BOC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 04:23 #2

• JimMc
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Jim and Debbie McNeely
New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
Brighton, Michigan USA
MMSI # 367393410

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 09:39 #3

• kiwi55
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
Good luck on the new boat welcome aboard may you and the wife enjoy the new toy don't be scared to ask any questions the members will help were they can

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 10:43 #4

• FredK
  • Thank you received: 18
Good luck & Congrats, when you get a chance post some pic. Make sure you visit Hemmingway's, Annie's and Fisherman's while cruising the bay, and o'yea the Annapolis docks (ego alley) ! Can you tell I am a transplanted Marylander?

"Relax Inn"
2012; 255 SB Bayliner
Venice, Fl
prior boat:
2011; 180 BR

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 13:33 #5

• ken51k
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Haddam ,CT
  • Thank you received: 64
Good luck with your new boat. Take a boating safety course to help you learn about boating

1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
5.7 Bravo 3

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 20 Mar 2016 15:49 #6

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Thanks everyone!

Yes, I thought about photos as I was typing my first post last night. We test rode the demo boat, but the one we are buying is still up on a rack in it's factory wrapping. Actually, I am surprised my wife didn't snap a photo of it sitting up there! We also went to look at the Stingray 215 CR in between the Bayliner demo and and lunch. Over lunch we decided to go back and see what deal would could get on the 642 since it was "leftover" stock and they had the demo plus two with 0 hours they were "itching" to sell by the "end of the month." By the time we finished the deal it was raining and it had been a bit of a long day. I believe we were thinking more about a celebratory beverage for finally taking the plunge than we were about photos. ;) On the to-do list, which I am sure is going to grow quickly! :P

Btw; did I read correctly on BOC that the 642 will be discontinued? Not a lot on BOC about this model - although I know it's only been available in the US since 2014.

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 21 Mar 2016 08:48 #7

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Welcome Aboard !

Our current Admin. is also our historian, maybe he will pop in and reply to some of your questions.

On the main forum page scroll down to owners list, i think there is a thread on the new to you boat.

Enjoy !

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 21 Mar 2016 22:32 #8

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
I read in another topic on BOC that getting a new boat is like bringing home a new baby. Well, I can believe it! Excited to have the first boat lift estimate tomorrow and electricians (need to run power to the dock) and marine construction estimates for possible modifications to the dock are all scheduled later in the week. It's like getting the nursery ready. And my wife has been working on names! I might be worse than her because I've been checking the water depth at the dock at hi and lo tides to be sure we can accommodate the draft. Good news is that today it was about 3 1/2 feet just an hour after lo tide (642 draft is 3' 2"). So far so good!

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 04:52 #9

• scout265
  • Thank you received: 20

Congratulations on your 642. I bought mine last fall and am very happy I did. It was a targeted purchase and hard to find in the States. Mine is a 2016 with the new generation Mercruiser 200. Seems Bayliner can't decide if they want to sell them here or just overseas.

This message has an attachment image.

2016 Bayliner 642 Overnighter / 4.5L Mercruiser 200
Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA
Last Edit: by scout265.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 10:29 #10

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Thanks scout! Nice to see another 642 in the "wild" other than in manufacturer's literature or at the dealer's pier or in online review videos.

We thought we'd wait to take delivery until the lift has been installed, but with positive signs that depths at our pier are fluctuating between 3' and 4.5', I may try to convince my wife to get it bottom-painted and take an earlier delivery and then just tie it up at the dock until the lift is ready. Looks like you have your's in a boat house.

I was impressed with the 2015's MerCruiser 4.3L MPI (220-hp) during the test ride; so, I can imagine the 4.5L gives an awesome performance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scout265

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 14:36 #11

• scout265

Save yourself some money and forget the bottom paint if you're going to get a lift. Plus the bottom paint could hurt the resale value. A boat lift is s good investment. With my hydrohoist, boat cover, and keeping it in a covered slip, I should be able to keep mine looking new for years to come. You are the first one that I know of on BOC in the USA to have also bought a 642. Be prepared for some strange looks when you tell someone you have a 642 until they figure out the name is in meters since it's sold mostly overseas. Not even my boat insurance company could find this model in their records. I think it got a slow start in the USA in part because of bad timing with the poor economy. But hopefully that is changing and that we'll see some better Bayliner support and promotion of this boat here in the USA. Right now it's still a hidden gem.

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA
Last Edit: by scout265.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 15:09 #12

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Thanks, for the advice, scout. Given permit requirements (and modifications to the dock desired by my wife) it may not be until August before the lift can be installed. How much sea-life growth might I expect over the summer if I don't bottom-paint?

I just requested some boat insurance quotes. One company had the 642 in their drop-down menu for Bayliner and I got an immediate quote. The other did not, which is why I think I got an email saying "your quote needs the attention of an underwriter."

You are quite right about the scarcity. My dealer has three 2015s in stock; two with 0 hours and the demo which they said had 4 hours. So, not a lot of action it seems, although they claim to have sold "a few." Google turns up only a couple on the East Coast for sale, including the odd 2014. Very little publicity as well since its US debut in 2014. It isn't in Bayliner's 2016 showroom catalog despite being listed on the Bayliner website. My dealer said they can't get a clear answer from Bayliner on the direction they are going with the boat.

It's all good though - we are happy so far and expect to be very happy in the future when it's at our dock. It's cool to have a "rarity." B)

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 15:28 #13

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 74
I've been going to the Toronto boat show for years, and one thing is always certain: No manufacturers or dealer representatives ever bring cuddy models to the show. I asked about the 642 at the Bayliner booth, and was told that they might have one left in stock somewhere, but wouldn't I rather look at the new bow rider models? The show is all about the 18-24 foot open bow models, and the bigger boats. If you like a boat in the 22-24 foot range, you're not going to have much luck. I personally love mid sized cuddy cabin boats. My 3 boats have been 20-21 and 22.5 foot cuddies. We live on a chain of smaller lakes (Trent canal system) that stretches from Georgian bay to lake Ontario, and includes one large lake (Simcoe) that can get pretty rough, too rough for a smaller boat with an open bow. A cuddy is perfect if you trailer, or boat from a marina, and spend the whole day on the water, or the odd weekend. The enclosed bow means you can travel in bigger seas. You can warm up if it's cool, get out of the sun, if it's hot, a bunch of people can get changed into and out of wet bathing suits, and you can lock up your valuables when you go ashore, or at the end of the day. It's the perfect compromise between fun and practical, and they are very easy to operate. The problem is, that most of the boats on the lakes here, head out from smaller docks, in shallower water, from cottages, where you can store your stuff, and get changed after a few hours on the water. The other trend here is to use the boat as a floating cottage that rarely goes anyplace, and the cuddy isn't the perfect boat for that.

The boat that I have, a 1996, 225 LS Capri, is pretty similar to the 642, and I love it. There's a 742, available in Europe, where cuddies seem to still be popular, but you can't get them here in Canada, which is a shame. That would be a boat I'd upgrade to at some point. I wish more people would give them a chance, because they are so versatile, but, like with motorcycles, we live in an age of specialized machines, and the do-it-all is rarely the popular option.

global.bayliner.com/models/overnighter-s.../742-cuddy/overview/

The following user(s) said Thank You: scout265, rbrauerei

1996 2252 LS Capri Cuddy Cabin. Merc. 5.7L . Port Perry, Ontario, Canada.
Last Edit: by Ion66.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 16:49 #14

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Ion, thanks for the note. I had looked at the European Bayliner site and the 742 (as well as the 842). Nice boats! During our research over the winter I was able to watch a couple test videos of the 642 made in Germany, as well as read a couple articles in German, since I speak German. Those resources really helped sell us on the 642. We wanted a cuddy for all the reasons you cite. But there really are only a couple cuddy options in this range as you state. We looked at the Stingray 215CR, but my wife just didn't like the cabin in that one since we do plan on using it for the occasional overnight or weekend trip. Yea, the 642 cabin is basic, but we don't mind the basics. And we liked the Bayliner cockpit better because has a roomier design. All in all, we just didn't think we'd find a better choice. We also looked at some older used cuddies, but the cabins probably had just been used as a storage area (which from my reading of other forums appears to be the way most seem to use the cabin) and were pretty beat up... It didn't take my wife very long to discount those choices.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 17:20 #15

• scout265
The rate of any growth on your hull will depend on the waters your in. Check with others in your area. But I wouldn't think that a few months in the water is going to do much to it. Or just pull it out a few times between now and August and wipe it down to be on the safe side. a few

rbrauerei wrote: Thanks, for the advice, scout. Given permit requirements (and modifications to the dock desired by my wife) it may not be until August before the lift can be installed. How much sea-life growth might I expect over the summer if I don't bottom-paint?

I just requested some boat insurance quotes. One company had the 642 in their drop-down menu for Bayliner and I got an immediate quote. The other did not, which is why I think I got an email saying "your quote needs the attention of an underwriter."

You are quite right about the scarcity. My dealer has three 2015s in stock; two with 0 hours and the demo which they said had 4 hours. So, not a lot of action it seems, although they claim to have sold "a few." Google turns up only a couple on the East Coast for sale, including the odd 2014. Very little publicity as well since its US debut in 2014. It isn't in Bayliner's 2016 showroom catalog despite being listed on the Bayliner website. My dealer said they can't get a clear answer from Bayliner on the direction they are going with the boat.

It's all good though - we are happy so far and expect to be very happy in the future when it's at our dock. It's cool to have a "rarity." B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 17:40 #16

• scout265
Back when I was looking the older ones still available as new seemed to all have the small TKS (carburetor) motors which is why I suspect they weren't selling. I had one of those on my 175 and I'll never go back to that again.

rbrauerei wrote: Thanks, for the advice, scout. Given permit requirements (and modifications to the dock desired by my wife) it may not be until August before the lift can be installed. How much sea-life growth might I expect over the summer if I don't bottom-paint?

Hydrohoist Lift
2011 Bayliner 175
F250 / FJ Cruiser
Arizona USA

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 23 Mar 2016 17:50 #17

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Thanks for the info on bottom painting. I've been depth sounding at the dock in case we decide to simply tie her up until the lift is ready. Average has been 3', but at low tide this morning it was only 2.5'. The water depth at the dealer's slip was probably around 2' and we eased out with the trim up halfway. But with a draft of 3'2" I'm a bit worried she'd bottom out if an unusual tide pulls a lot of water out of the creek. Also starting to check the possibility of transient slip rental at nearby marinas. No way we want to wait all summer for the dock!

And maybe it's time we started a 642 topic in the Owner's List sub-forum. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: scout265

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 24 Mar 2016 00:49 #18

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

rbrauerei wrote: Ion, thanks for the note. I had looked at the European Bayliner site and the 742 (as well as the 842). Nice boats! During our research over the winter I was able to watch a couple test videos of the 642 made in Germany, as well as read a couple articles in German, since I speak German. Those resources really helped sell us on the 642. We wanted a cuddy for all the reasons you cite. But there really are only a couple cuddy options in this range as you state. We looked at the Stingray 215CR, but my wife just didn't like the cabin in that one since we do plan on using it for the occasional overnight or weekend trip. Yea, the 642 cabin is basic, but we don't mind the basics. And we liked the Bayliner cockpit better because has a roomier design. All in all, we just didn't think we'd find a better choice. We also looked at some older used cuddies, but the cabins probably had just been used as a storage area (which from my reading of other forums appears to be the way most seem to use the cabin) and were pretty beat up... It didn't take my wife very long to discount those choices.

That's been one of our big problems boat shopping. Stingray make some nice cuddies, but they never bring them to the Toronto boat show! From the brochures, we were worried that the cabin would be too low and claustrafobic. How they expect you to spend fancy car money, on a boat that the wife is likely to veto for being too cramped of cabin eludes me! Our first boat was an 81 Stingray that you couldn't sit up in. That had to go. The second was a Cadorette (Doral/Thundercraft family) Holiday 20 that at 5'9", I could sit up, and have 5" of headroom. The Capri has similar headroom to the Cadorette, as well as a sink, stove, removable table and plenty of storage. I prefer the 642's porta-potty location though. On hot nights, a hatch is a very nice thing to have if sleeping over, but the 642 looks to have good light down below though. I love the storage and motor access on the 642. The way the canvas stores is genius. There's a great ease of use to a cuddy, in the way a traditional launch is simple to get in and go, as well as poke around some smaller bays and toss the anchor without the fuss of a bigger boat. We've used a 28 foot Regal to poke around a lake and so some fishing, and it's a bit like driving the RV to the convenience store and the bank, and the grocery store etc. You can do it, but it's a bit awkward.

This message has attachments images.

Last Edit: by Ion66.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 24 Mar 2016 12:58 #19

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Ion, thanks for the photos of your cabin. My wife is only 5'4" and she could not sit upright in the Stingray. Veto. The head location and the butane stove stowage location mean you can't really just "sit" in the Stingray cabin. Veto. The Stingray is designed really for only lying down or using the head. At 5'10" I can sit up straight in the 642 with a couple inches to spare and the cabin design means we could sit a few people in there if necessary. Agreed on the 642's head stowage; out of the way and not underneath you when deploying the V-berth. The 642 doesn't come with a dockside pump-out option or a butane stove like the Stingray, but small trade offs in our view for the pluses. Only drawbacks in our view are no table in cabin (not unusual in this size cuddy) and the cushions for filling in the V-berth are the back cushions on the bulkhead that snap off and lie in the space. Wife is already figuring out how to have a separate cushion made for the space rather than snapping on/off the back cushions all the time. I really am anxious to get our actual boat out of the wrap and start taking photos!

Of course, there are the arbitrary factors. We just didn't feel "welcome" at the Stingray dealer - the owner seemed quite disinterested and like he was being bothered. The Stingray service area looked like a disaster hit it in 1944 (probably a great place for an antique picker though). I was ready to go even before getting a quote.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 24 Mar 2016 22:18 #20

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

rbrauerei wrote: Ion, thanks for the photos of your cabin. My wife is only 5'4" and she could not sit upright in the Stingray. Veto. The head location and the butane stove stowage location mean you can't really just "sit" in the Stingray cabin. Veto. The Stingray is designed really for only lying down or using the head. At 5'10" I can sit up straight in the 642 with a couple inches to spare and the cabin design means we could sit a few people in there if necessary. Agreed on the 642's head stowage; out of the way and not underneath you when deploying the V-berth. The 642 doesn't come with a dockside pump-out option or a butane stove like the Stingray, but small trade offs in our view for the pluses. Only drawbacks in our view are no table in cabin (not unusual in this size cuddy) and the cushions for filling in the V-berth are the back cushions on the bulkhead that snap off and lie in the space. Wife is already figuring out how to have a separate cushion made for the space rather than snapping on/off the back cushions all the time. I really am anxious to get our actual boat out of the wrap and start taking photos!

Of course, there are the arbitrary factors. We just didn't feel "welcome" at the Stingray dealer - the owner seemed quite disinterested and like he was being bothered. The Stingray service area looked like a disaster hit it in 1944 (probably a great place for an antique picker though). I was ready to go even before getting a quote.

I don't have a pic of it, and it's not obvious in my pics, but the forward-middle cushion in the cabin is actually like a wedge of cheese, with a shelf on it. When that removes, you get a full, lie down v-berth setup. Installed, and you have something like a booth at a restaurant. I'd not seen that before this boat. A cuddy can be a bit like camping, compared to a cruiser, but it's still fun for a weekend or two.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 01 Apr 2016 23:17 #21

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Wife had the day off and the "fever" is taking hold; so, we went up to our Bayliner dealer to poke around the demo again and get some ideas and ask some questions we've come up with since putting down the deposit. Looks like we have a short list of things we'll ask our dealer to do before delivery (add a second battery, add a 12v DC outlet inside the cabin, add a rode cleat to the bow, and add a pedestal mount for a grill on the swim platform). And we took the first photo of our boat! She's still in wrap up on the rack, but we're getting closer to setting a delivery date. Work started this week on getting a lift installed at our pier - hopefully that will be finished in about two weeks. And then we can set a date to float the boat, do sea trials, and set up delivery.

She's the one on the left (only can tell from stock number on wrap).

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 02 Apr 2016 00:55 #22

• Ion66
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Good choices on extras. It's all stuff that's doable, but a PITA to add later. Useful stuff too.

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 02 Apr 2016 12:19 #23

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Ion, our dealer was very honest in telling us some of our ideas may be easily done, but weren't practical in a boat our size (i.e AC/DC inverter). I appreciated not being oversold. The items were decided upon are relatively low cost; so, I'll just have the dealer do them with the prep. Only other thing we might think about adding is a battery charger, but I've read mixed reviews about that idea. More research might be warranted.

Rick

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 02 Apr 2016 12:23 #24

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
642 does not come standard with a battery charger? You kidding me? You have to have that.. no doubt if you are going to have shore power, its part of that package... Did you mean an inverter?

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Member with New Bayliner 642 Overnighter 03 Apr 2016 00:27 #25

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Doug, I indeed meant charger. There is no shore power in this 21' cuddy. So, a battery charger is not standard. And an inverter is just not practical or really all that necessary for this size boat.

Rick

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds