Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 16:40 #26

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
The following user(s) said Thank You: the queen and I

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 21:51 #27

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I run 160 thermostats and if the temps get over 180 you loose ground and need to back off or it will keep climbing. I know that I am over propped with 20x22 . You may find that this boat has smaller props, the factory size, I think its 18x22 ? At some point the props on my boat were swapped with diesel props no doubt someones idea to get better cruise economy. This is likely related to the temperature rising. As far as soft spots I would check under the kitchen sink and look and knock on all the tabed in bulkheads that support the counter top and make up the sides of the drawers and cupboards. Then look in the guest staterooms closets and storage areas, any moisture shows itself as mold and discoloration. Up topside check the windlass area, around all the foot switches and snap screws. Next around the railings that are screwed down on the upper portion of the bow and around the hatches. on the flybridge Id say the arch is probably rotten and the seats wont be in great shape. If things haven't been kept up you will have a soft spot around the seat pedestal and possibly underneath the seats around the side. Look in the engine room and check out the shelves that the batteries are sitting on, they run full length in the engine room on both sides, have a look at them in the very rear of the boat and bang around with a small rubber mallet. I notice the picture that you posted does not show any signs of a high water line on the insulation and that would be an indicator of good things. You don't want to see dirty oil bilge water marks half way up the stringers. The hot water tank should be inspected if you plan to use it. The main fresh water tank can be vacumed clean with a 3/4 inch hose taped to a wet dry vac and inserted through the sender hole, it will be full of junk. .......I could go on for a while

1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 10 Mar 2016 21:16 #28

• the queen and I
  • the queen and I's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
So... I officially now own my bayliner 3888! I spent Tuesday Wednesday looking over it and working on it. I first checked every know possible part of the hull for rot or soft spots from water infiltration, and the hull is like new! The interior of the boat is also completely original down to the towels in the bathroom and in perfect shape minus a light dusting and cleaning.

I heard both engines run for a few minutes and was pleased that they both started easily after sitting a seasons. So I paid the guy for the boat. still knowing i bought the boat as is where is, i proceeded to dive further in to the engines. the port engine had 1340 hrs and the star board engine had 1220 hrs which was more than I had hope for, but considering the boat is 27 years old, that's less than 50 hrs a season. so P (port) engine has between 115 and 130 psi compression quite consistently. So that motor is tired, but ok and doesn't smoke and runs cool. (closed loop). that engine has given the owner stalling issues for quite some time, so he had the carb replaced with a new holley. I found the engine would run great, but as the choke would begin to open, the engine would start to stave for fuel and die, but if i held the choke 3/4 closed the engine ran perfectly. the engines have manual pump off the side of the engine that was also replaced at the same time. I am thinking its likely just that the carb need adjusting, but to be sure, i think i will use an electric inline fuel pump so i can visually confirm that the carb is getting sufficient fuel before i start playing with the carb. Any one have any advice on this?

The "good" sb engine was supposed to have always ran great with no issues at all and when we first started it it ran great! no smoke, smooth but to be safe i thought i would do a compression check. Well.... 150 -160 psi all around except cylinder 5.....0 psi :pinch: couldn't believe it! engine sounded great. pulled valve cover, suspecting / hoping for stuck valve, not so, pulled rockers to find intake value raised 3/16 above the rest. got depressed... :sick: figured there had to be broken pieces of metal / valve / seat in the combustion chamber meaning scored block ie. total haul out and rebuild. pulled myself together and in 45 minutes the head was off and all that had happened was a tuliped / bulled valve, nothing broken! the block look perfect with no scoring. man was i relieved. so brought the head back home and dropped it off and a engine shop to have a new seat put in and two valves and i go back to long island new york monday to re assemble. The owning suspected the engine had been like that for years. but no one ever paid any attention to it because it was so reliable. never had much for power and know i know why.

I also replace all 4 bilge pumps and two bilge blowers. all 4 pump were shot! but the boat had hardly any water in it and i could tell that the engine room had never seen any elevated water leaves.

The exhaust is through hull above the water line, which really surprised me. she has a mean rumble

the gen-set was supposedly stuck and hadn't work for years, but after further inspection turns out the genset turns over easily so I pulled it out and removed the back seat of my 2007 corolla and the door and through the genset in and brought it back home for further inspection and possible rebuilt. figured if nothing else, it would make the boat a little lighter. any one know the wea k spots for those onan genset, are they work rebuilding?

Well that is the latest on this adventure. I feel im am getting to know these engines a little better as i tear into them, and am building confidence in for the 600 mile motor home. they may be a little tired, but they aren' dead yet!

Thanks for your comments and further advice, it made my inspection of the boat this week much more thorough

Cheers

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 08:22 #29

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
You mentioned going 9 mph. That is a terrible speed for that boat economy wise.
6 mph will give you top economy. 9, most likely you might as well go faster. You will just be pushing water.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 11:46 #30

• the queen and I
Doug, thats ready good information. What rpm should i keep the engines at for best economy? Thanks

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 17:35 #31

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 177

that had happened was a tuliped / bulled valve, nothing broken! the block look perfect with no scoring. man was i relieved. so brought the head back home and dropped it off and a engine shop to have a new seat put in and two valves and i go back to long island new york monday to re assemble/quote]

Queen,

I just went through this on my 5.7. I had several tuliped valves, one causing 0 compression in one cylinder. I strongly suggest you determine the cause of the tuliped valve as it may very well be worn valve springs which, if not replaced will cause another tuliped valve. The cost of new springs are very inexpensive and now is the time to do it. A weak spring can cause valve float which will allowhe stem to become hammered by the rocker and the valve will actually hammer against the seat causing the tulip.
There are other causes of course but the springs are easily checked.
See this thread:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...sick-1991-350-magnum

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: by Jim Gandee. Reason: added link

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 17:49 #32

• Ruffryder
Converting to an electric fuel pump, Just remember to put an oil pressure switch and a starter solenoid bypass in the circuit.

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 18:04 #33

• harrylev
  • Thank you received: 5
Did you do a vacuum test on the port engine sounds like it may be a vacuum leak somewhere or possibly a plugged metering jet in the carb

1993 Trophy 2002 WA 2003 175 Johnson 1989 Beretta success 200 Volvo Penta AQ131

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 18:18 #34

• Captain TJ
  • Thank you received: 25

dmcb wrote: You mentioned going 9 mph. That is a terrible speed for that boat economy wise.
6 mph will give you top economy. 9, most likely you might as well go faster. You will just be pushing water.
Doug

I find 7.5 to 8 knots to be a great economy speed / hull speed for my boat. I run pretty heavy but if I push towards 9 my economy goes into the toilet and wake grows to be impressive. I would be curious to hear what a difference the lighter boat with gassers does for hull speed / economy. Will it change with the boat riding 4 inches higher in the water?

TJ & Marcie

Blue Moon
1988 Bayliner 3888 Motoryacht 175 hp Hinos
11' Achilles with 9.9 Merc tiller
Port Orchard, WA
The Admiral and I plus 3 little girls, I boat in an estrogen ocean! ;-)

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 18:30 #35

• Ruffryder

harrylev wrote: Did you do a vacuum test on the port engine sounds like it may be a vacuum leak somewhere or possibly a plugged metering jet in the carb

+1, lean condition, sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere...

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 19:49 #36

• the queen and I
you mean a vacuum leak with in the actual carb?

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 20:18 #37

• Ruffryder
Usually at the carb base, around the spacer if used, intake manifold leak is also possible.
See spraying some carb cleaner CAREFULLY would stabilize RPM...

93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 12 Mar 2016 22:53 #38

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 177

the engines have manual pump off the side of the engine that was also replaced at the same time./quote]

Easy enough to measure the fuel pressure from the mechanical pump. Should be around 4.5 -6.6 psi.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 29 Mar 2016 23:51 #39

• the queen and I
Well I went back to long Island with the rebuilt head and proceeded to reassemble the starboard engine. I noticed that the right side head had had the head gasket factory installed backwards. The head gasket is actually marked front and rear, but they still got it wrong! Anyway, got the engine together and it worked great. port engine still was giving me trouble by stalling at low idle and lack power until it reached over 2400 rpm. I swapped the carbs and the stalling issue followed the carb. both carbs were rebuilt a couple years ago and looked new, but I put a kit in the one that wasn't working well and cleaned everything out at the same time. engine ran better...but not 100%

I rented a winter wet suit and spent over three hours scrapping off a ton of barnacles and crap off the hull as every square inch was covered. With the hull now clean and the free of abrasion, i decided it was time for a sea trial as I only had one day left before needing to head home. I left the boat tied to the dock so I could test the transmission as I had never engaged them yet. Well.....i engaged the star board trans first (which now had the iffy carb on it) and immediately it engaged and sounded like the gears were going to climb out of the transmission! I was getting frustrated at this point, but figured i could jerk the trans out easily enough and rebuild it (worse case scenario). I was given a name of a guy in long island who had rebuilt literally a thousand of these transmissions and proceeded to talk with him for and hour and a half. He was brilliant! He said he bet there was nothing wrong with the trans, and that any issues with the engine would transfer directly to the transmission. He said to fix the carb issue then call him back if there was an issue again with the trans. (the port trans worked perfect and was silent). I got hopeful and swapped the carbs again, held my breathe and started the SB engine and engaged the trans.....it was silent and worked perfectly....i was thrilled!. Now the port trans was making the noise but i knew why!

Time to get the bottom of the carb issue!. I suspected the issue was in the primary metering block so I removed it and place it on the good running carb and the stalling problem followed the block so I knew the issue was in the block. with time quickly running out, i took the block to a local garage and blew out every passageway and even ran small wires through as many as I could to ensure they were clean. This is after I had already sprayed carb cleaner through the block 3 hours prior while installing the carb kit. keen to get out on the water I quickly reinstalled the block and fired up the engine. (always running my blowers :) Engine fired up ran...then started to die :angry: Ripped block out, went to a carb rebuild shop 40 minutes away and bought a new block for 50$ came back, reinstalled....problem solved! I have rebuilt carbs before and there was nothing dirty about that block....still baffles me but what ever... the engine purred and both trans sounded perfect.

The sea trial was awesome....the boat worked perfectly and I couldn't believe how easily it planed for such a big boat! I wasn't even trying to plane, I got up around 3300 rpm and i could feel the nose go down and boat just kept picking up speed.... my brother and I took the original owners son out with us and he could believe how well the boat worked. He said he never remembered it working that well and went on about how please his father would have been to see it working so well again which was nice to hear.

Now the generator is running perfect and repainted and the small electrical issues are worked out. I have two fuel flow meters with digital displays ready to install in the boat so I can calculate the best speed to economy ratios. I also bought a 3000 watt inverter and will use the generator as a back up. Alternators are only 35 amp i think...(can any one confirm?)
My four brothers and I will all be meeting in long island on April 4th to partake in this excursion. we hoping to average 88 miles per day for seven days to get us back to New Brunswick.

Should be quite an adventure! We have a huge list of things to install on the boat while we are on our way including installing a 40000 btu 12 volt auxiliary heater (this boat didn't have the factory one installed) We will also refinish the teak on the outside and give the boat a much needed cleaning on the outside.

Anyway, I add some pictures and update as we proceed....who knows what adventures lie ahead lol... we are going to document the trip with three go pro cameras for memories sake.

Cheers,

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 30 Mar 2016 03:23 #40

• Kelly P
  • Thank you received: 9
Souds like a great boat. And some very good trouble shooting skills. My only other suggestion would be a rebuild kit for the toilet. Those things have a habit of breaking when most needed.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 30 Mar 2016 13:19 #41

• the queen and I
Thanks, I do have two new stem seals coming in for the toilets as the old ones are leaking. Ya i going to need those toilets working lol

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 06 Apr 2016 04:22 #42

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
It sure sounds like your going about things with a thorough approach. Already you know a great deal about the running gear, and thats the most important part of the boat. You will have an excellent adventure !

1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's
  • Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds