Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Bayliner Owners Club forum!

We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot! Take a moment to tell the BOC members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.

• Page:

TOPIC: new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 15:38 #1

• the queen and I
  • the queen and I's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I am new to the BOC and very happy to be here! I just purchased a 1989 bayliner 3888 in New York and will be taking ownership of it next week. the boat has us marine 351 w engines, condition unknown, but said to be running. does any one have any information on these engines especially about the cooling system. I will be attempting to motor 600 miles to bring the boat home and my biggest concern is engine cooling. I would certainly appreciate and help with these engines.Thanks a lot!

Andrew

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 15:53 #2

• flyman219
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Congratulations! If it were me and I had to motor 600 miles on a new to me used 1989 boat I'd find a reputable mechanic and have him give the motors a good going over. A survey might be in order also even though it would have been better before you closed the deal.

Good luck

Mike

2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
2000 Ciera 2455 sold
Redmond, Washington
The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 16:06 #3

• Jim Gandee
  • Away
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 178
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy your new boat as much as we do ours. Prior to a lengthy journey I'd run a new to me boat around the local area to prove the systems. Of course, plenty of tools, fuel filters and whatever other spare items you deem necessary for safe travels.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 16:08 #4

• higgins_jr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 357
Andrew, firstly welcome aboard. There is a wealth of knowledge from other members. I presume these are gas engines, sorry I can't help, mine are diesels!

Second, I'm concerned you are contemplating making a 600 mile journey, with little or no knowledge of the boat/engines. It sounds like there was no engine survey prior to your purchase or you bought it sight unseen. Until you get the engines and other key seaworthy systems checked out, DO NOT LEAVE PORT. You would be putting your own life and any other passengers at risk. Are you familiar with the route home, have you done it before? If not, hiring a delivery captain wouldn't be a bad idea. No doubt that captain would want to check out the boat anyway prior to embarking.

Anyway, I hope everything works out and you enjoy your purchase. Cheers

PS. If you can complete your profile info, location etc, that would help others help you.

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 17:19 #5

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on the boat, you will love the 38 as most everyone that owns one does.

Bringing a new boat home is a wonderful learning experience, and is something that I really enjoy. Over the years we have brought 4 boats of unknown condition home from the Vancouver area which is around 500 miles.
As others have said if you are not mechanically inclined, I would get a mechanic to go over everything, and show you how to replace the sea water pump impellors, fuel filters, and the belts at a bare minimum.
Do you have any idea how long the gas has been in the tanks? If a fuel stabilizer was not used, then fuel will go bad and will make your trip a nightmare.
Fuel system problems are the number one cause of issues on gas powered boats. If the fuel is questionable, try and get a company to come in and polish the fuel and or/pump the old fuel out and clean the tanks. This will be the best money you will spend.
First rough weather and the fuel will stir up all the crud in the bottom of the tank, and you are dead in the water.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but I have been there before on two occasions. Changing fuel filters once every hour,while bouncing around a hot engine room is no fun. :lol:

Good luck!!
Joel
The following user(s) said Thank You: the queen and I

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 18:15 #6

• MartyUK
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Welcome to the club, listen to what others are saying.....Marty :whistle:

Marty UK
BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND
2001 175 BR Capri ...3 litre GM Mercruiser ( Alpha 1 gen 11 OD)
"THE VOICE OF THE SEA SPEAKS TO THE SOUL"

Ramsgate Small Boat Owners Assoc.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 18:20 #7

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
"Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on the boat, you will love the 38 as most everyone that owns one does.

Bringing a new boat home is a wonderful learning experience, and is something that I really enjoy. Over the years we have brought 4 boats of unknown condition home from the Vancouver area which is around 500 miles.
As others have said if you are not mechanically inclined, I would get a mechanic to go over everything, and show you how to replace the sea water pump impellors, fuel filters, and the belts at a bare minimum.
Do you have any idea how long the gas has been in the tanks? If a fuel stabilizer was not used, then fuel will go bad and will make your trip a nightmare.
Fuel system problems are the number one cause of issues on gas powered boats. If the fuel is questionable, try and get a company to come in and polish the fuel and or/pump the old fuel out and clean the tanks. This will be the best money you will spend.
First rough weather and the fuel will stir up all the crud in the bottom of the tank, and you are dead in the water.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but I have been there before on two occasions. Changing fuel filters once every hour,while bouncing around a hot engine room is no fun. :lol:"

+1 to Joel here - good post.

We are in NY as well and if your new boat is here it is likely winterized as well. So getting the systems commissioned and back up making sure they are ready may not be as simple as it appears unless you are familiar with the boat. Assuming you have a sea trail scheduled please makes sure that all the systems you expect to work are in good shape - Mains, A/C-heat, genset, electric heat, potable water, heads and drains, all bilge pumps etc.

Good luck and hope this helps

Northport NY

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 01 Mar 2016 18:41 #8

• Terry J
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 25
If you don't know the condition of the engines, I would get a complete tune up done including plug wires if they look a little older. Make sure the timing is set correctly. Some here will disagree but at least you know the condition of these parts, also if you save 10% fuel over a 500 mile trip, it will come close to paying for the tune up.
Also, money spent on Sea Tow might be a good idea as well.
Good luck on your trip

Terry

1982 3270
Volvo BB 140 A's
MS 3 trannys

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 02 Mar 2016 06:54 #9

• Mr. Darcy
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 170
Oh what the h--- just go for it Where is your sense of adventure and... NO, NO, NO, just kidding. Like others have said at least get the engines checked by a competent mechanic. Have the transmission fluid checked and changed if needed. Have you seen the condition of the props and the hardware to keep them on the shafts? Just remember that even one dead engine can be a big headache. Two dead engines can be disasterous. Check out the ground tackle and rode before you go as well. Rotten or badly frayed rope is like having none at all. Other than the obvious, welcome to the forum!

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 03 Mar 2016 01:02 #10

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Let me add one more voice for "ALL OF THE ABOVE" comments.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 03 Mar 2016 02:50 #11

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
A big +1 to what others have said. Get the boat checked out professionally.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 03 Mar 2016 09:19 #12

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Welcome Aboard !

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 02:06 #13

• the queen and I
Thank you all so much for your comments! I have made a lot of head way in the last couple days researching my new boat prior to bring it home. I was able to track down two local marina mechanics that had both inspected the boat, One was able to tell me that he hear both motors running two years ago and at the time the star board engine ran great but the port engine was having a fuel issue but running never the less. He recommended flushing the tanks and replacing fuel lines and pumps and filters. This was all done by the owner who was at the time the original owner and sadly passed away last year hence the sale of the boat by the family.

In the last two years the following was done to the boat.:
-as i said, tanks flushed and all lines replaced and filters and one pump
-port carburetor rebuilt
-engine oil was done at the time of winterizing.
-boat was hauled out the fall of 2014 and the bottom was stripped and repainted and all zincs were replaced

I am going to inspect the boat next week and do a sea trail. I am a mechanical engineering technologist by trade and know gas engines inside out. My last boat was a 1985 bayliner conquest 3250 with close loop 350s. I bought that boat sight unseen after doing my research on it from Rockland Maine (had it trailered though:). I guess I like the adventure of taking a calculated risk, as long as the price of the boat reflects the risk :unsure:

I am going to go through the engines completely, starting with the cooling system so i dont have to worry about over heating problems. I will do a compression check on both engines which will tell me whats really going on. Im a bit worried about the risers, because I have now idea about when they were last changed. so I will pull the exhaust hoses off and make sure they are not remotely plugged. I also want to take a water hose and and make sure there is good flow. if they look questionable Ill pull the risers and do a better check or replace if need be. Obviously ill check all fluids prior to starting the engines.

So.... I figure..... that if both engines have good compression within spec, I have a good flowing cooling system with clean heat exchanges, then I should be able to trust the engine for at least a 66 hour cruise at 9 mph home. I would welcome any comments or suggestions :) I know the carbs are good and the fuel is new, wires look new as well.

Precautions:
For the long trip home, (sometime in April) I am going with all the tools necessary to do any kind of repairs to the engine that fate might through my way. Assuming my conclusions about the blocks are true, then the worse case scenario is a blown head gasket or eroded riser. Both of which can be fixed in short order dockside if need be. Ill bring spare raw water impellers and gaskets. Any suggestions to other spare parts would be appreciated!

I certainly post an update after my trip to New York next week! The owners son (who know very little about the boat) told me he couldn't find any hour meters on either stations, and I know from reading posts on this great forum, that is was not unusual for these boats to come with out hour meters. Any way, i noticed in one of the pictures that there are two hour meters in the engine room just under the main 12 volt switches. I cant wait to see what they read! the story behind this boat is that it was barely used at all. spent its whole life in the water in front of the owners house. and was taken out at most 5 times a year and only 3 miles away to a particular cove for fishing and a glass of wine. The boat was never slept in or cooked in and the son doesn't believe the toilets were ever used other than when the boat was winterized. the berths sport their original bedding in perfect condition.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on, but its an interesting story. I have been next to the boat a couple weeks ago when I was driving through, but have never been on it at this point. the owners son has sent me pictures of all the areas i wanted to particularly see. I have seen the title and everything looks good. The owner always had the fly-bridge covered as well as the rear of the boat when he was not on it. So it has only been the last year that the boat has set with out being used, thought the engines were started and batteries maintained. the owner used a bubble system in the winter and so the boat only came out to be cleaned and painted. Im told the boat has never taken on water of any kind, never been hit or hit anything and that the propeller shafts never leak.

It is almost to good of a story.... but I am hopeful that things are as they were said as I particularly like boats that haven't been messed with. (though the past owner was said to be cheap by everyone i spoke to and did his own oil changes etc..) Figures crossed.....story to be confirmed next week B)

Cheers and thank you for your comments and advice.

Andrew

Id like to buy a fly bridge enclosure for the boat if any knows of one for sale. mine only has the bimini top
The following user(s) said Thank You: scubastevecrane

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 03:36 #14

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Kim at canvas plus can help with enclosures.

Sounds like you will do your do diligence before the big run.

Be prepared and have a contingency plan.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 04:21 #15

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I have the same boat ! I started it up four years ago and it's run great ever since. I doubt you will have any problems. The 351 is a tough motor, as long as it is in even marginal condition i'm sure you'll get years out of it. And it sounds like you can turn a wrench so you will be fine with some spare parts and a sense of adventure. If you plan on doing a lot of anchoring pull your windlass apart and clean the brushes on the motor and check its gearbox for lube. If you have two engines and an anchor you get a couple chances to keep yourself out of trouble. Get new batteries or be good and sure the ones there are solid. Good luck !

1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 04:36 #16

• the queen and I
thanks for the reply! one thing I am not sure about with mine, is if the engine blocks and heads are raw water cooled or close loop. my bayliner 3250 had heat exchangers on top front of the engines. from the pictures, I cant see any, other than the trans cooler below the manifolds. but there is an antifreeze overflow bottle on the firewall in front of the engine and I can see a radiator cap on a T in front top of engine but no typical tube style heat exchanger. Im sure they must be closed loop because there is the antifreeze overflow bottles. did us marine use a unique exchanger? can you tell me what yours has please?

thanks again!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 05:20 #17

• canoel
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
Although not as common as the traditional top mount heat exchanger, yours will probably have the remote fill with the actual heat exchanger mounted down low under the exhaust manifold.
See attached links.
www.marineengineparts.com/cooling/heat-e...l-model-engines.html

This is for a 318/360 chrysler but similar;

www.marineengineparts.com/cooling/heat-e...lm318-and-lm360.html

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 14:04 #18

• the queen and I
GearGuts, are your 351w s close loop? if so, where are your heat exchangers? thanks!

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 04 Mar 2016 19:20 #19

• Captain TJ
  • Thank you received: 25
Welcome to the club. You will love this boat for function and comfort.

As for spare parts I would strongly recommend at least one of all your wear items like belts and tune up items. Also for a long trip bring multiple spare fuel filters. Even if it was polished 18 months ago gasoline can start to get ugly in very short order depending on conditions and the supply. Bouncing around in a small amount of weather will bring all those fuel issues to light immediately.

Sounds like a great adventure in store for you and should be fun. The first weekend we had ours we did about a 250 NM trip for fun and hit a small craft advisory which brought to light some fuel issues which we have since cleared up. 2 spare sets off fuel filters for each engine saved my butt.

Enjoy and give us a report on how the trip goes..

TJ & Marcie

Blue Moon
1988 Bayliner 3888 Motoryacht 175 hp Hinos
11' Achilles with 9.9 Merc tiller
Port Orchard, WA
The Admiral and I plus 3 little girls, I boat in an estrogen ocean! ;-)

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 00:02 #20

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes you have closed cooling, I can see the exchangers in the picture under the right side manifold. The end caps are removable and you can take them apart to inspect and clean. They will also each have two pipe plugs that are supposed to have zincs screwed into the back of them, check those if nothing else. These exchangers are generic and quite repairable. The internal tubes can be changed easily and you can do emergency repairs yourself with a torch and some solder (have that in your toolkit) by blocking off leaking tubes or fixing holes.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 00:59 #21

• doityourselfer
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I would have a good kicker motor easy to install even if i got 2 engines , a tube or two of silicon for leaks and as a insulator if needed i had a ignition coil split open on the top and it was arcing to ground filled the crack with the silicon and it insulated the ark and was running again. I had the rubber hose that connects the engine to the transom blow out and was pumping seawater into the bilge replaced it with my spare 10 miles from home 30 minutes it blew out again the riser on the sea water side rusted out and wasn't cooling the exhaust .cap rotor points extra wires some gasket making material ,inline filters for gas yours are probably the oil filter type ? Replace old with new but save the old just incase you need a spare.
Also i would take her out and run her a little above full cruising speed for a few hours maybe more then you know what you got.; Say a prayer, knock on wood, dont say bad things about people, and tell your boat how much you love her, but dont forget to tell your wife too after you tell your boat first!!
Good luck,
Don

I am a wannabe boat flipper I love feeding the hole in the water with my cash and wit. project now 1984 2450 ciera sunbridge Volvo Penta 5.7/290 drive Need to finish and move on to the next one until i get the boat i want to keep.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 01:47 #22

• the queen and I
I noticed those too and assumed from the two lines going to the trans, that they were trans coolers. so would those long tubes under the riser have a small internal portion for cooling the ATF trans cooler and the the rest of the tube is for cooling the antifreeze? Thanks Again!

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 01:49 #23

• the queen and I
Thanks for the tips Don! im going to make a list and make sure I have those things on board!

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 04:29 #24

• GearGuts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yes that is correct, the front portion is for the engine coolant and it pumps through half of the internal tubes all the way to the end and then back agian through the other half. The sea water fills the spaces outside the tubes and flows from front to back and out through the manifolds. The tranny cooler is just a textured hollow tube inside the sea water side. These coolers just barely handle the motors if your going to run at higher speeds you should check them out thoroughly, I can get mine to overheat if I push it.

new to BOC and just purchased a bayliner 3888 05 Mar 2016 12:37 #25

• the queen and I
Perfect, thats very helpful information. From your experience, what would you say ideal run temp should be for the 351 s and at what temp do you back the throttles off a bit? Also, are there any areas of the boat that are prone to soft spots or delamination that I should be aware of and check? The fly bridge has always been covered, as has the stern, and the front windshield, so im not to worried, but need to check any way

• Page:
Moderators: whiskywizardDownload_Complete
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds