Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rough runner

Rough runner 25 Jun 2009 22:21 #1

• Surf137
  • Surf137's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
OK I was convinced my problem was in the esa switches somewhere or the module. After reading all the info in these pages I am not so sure. So hopefully someone might have an idea on whats going on here.
86' contessa 2850, 350 chevy cobra drive. It runs great cold, idle out to the lake rev it up to cruising speed, no problem runs great. When I shut it down back to an idle it'll run good at a slow idle but if I try to throttle it up just a little it spits sputters and chokes itself crazy, back to a slow idle and it's fine. Just when I try to throttle up a little over an idle. I go back to cruising speed and it's ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I go to the $100 an hour marina. If I stay at a slow idle for a long time after it's at running temp it'll be fine also. It seams like it's just after I throttle down from a faster RPM that it acts up.
Thanks for any input. I hope to pay this site back some day with my experiances.
jb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SALTY DOG
Jim Beck, Syracuse Indiana - Lake Wawasee
1987 - Bayliner 2850 Contessa Sunbridge
Single 5.7L w/ Cobra Drive 15.25 X 15 Prop

Rough runner 26 Jun 2009 00:43 #2

• Monterey10
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Hi
  • Thank you received: 2
Rule out ESAs by unplugging the esa switch wiring harness for a short test drive. If the problem goes away, the control cables are changing on you and activating the ESA.

Otherwise, the carb may be acting up. I've seen the floats loose their bouancy and start to sink a little. The fuel level climbs and drops depending on the engine speed. Looking into the carb while the engine is running and you will see the gas start to flood out the carb vents as the float sinks. Rev the engine and the fuel draws down and the engine (seems) to run better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Craig Capitola Village, CA
1988 Bayliner 2556 (BoatAsaurus)
1996 Trophy 2352 (Mystic)
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds