Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine Oil Changing

Engine Oil Changing 24 Jun 2009 14:50 #1

• jholman
  • jholman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Knowing that this must be a frequent topic I tried searching but the search criteria wouldn't accept "oil" as being under length. No matter how I tried manipulating the phrase it kept returning the same error message. My apologies for opening a topic that I'm sure has already been covered several times.

I was reading an old issue of DIY Boat magazine that recommends changing oil twice a year since oil in the crankcase picks up moisture during winter storage. I have been changing oil once only - at the end of the season.

It would seem to me, if moisture pick up is the issue, then wouldn't it make more sense to drain the oil and leave the crankcase empty over the winter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1975 Montego 3350
Lake Simcoe, Ontario

Engine Oil Changing 24 Jun 2009 14:56 #2

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
The oil doesn't "pick up" moisture... moisture gets inside the crankcase and condenses when the walls are colder than the air inside. So empty or full the water will be there. Merc used to (93) recommend different oil weights for different ambient temps, but I believe they have now gone to a single weight year round. Others will know for certain.

Blue Highways
93 2452

Engine Oil Changing 24 Jun 2009 14:59 #3

• seapuppy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
not really...oil will eventually wheep from the side walls of the engine..critical parts will become exposed to moisture and air...the main thought I would guess is that after you've come off winter..and your all excited about going boating...you crank up the engine and guess what..no oil in the pan...engine fried....I mean..really...oil is relatively cheap compared to an engine burned up in the back of your boat.....what i do since we try to use our boat all yr is to change the oil in the spring and fall....this will 1) keep fresh oil (relatively anyway) in the engine and 2) keep contaminant levels down...thus preserving the life of the engine.......I've done this on my boats for the past 10 yrs and so far never had an issue with the boat...

:arr arrr

Engine Oil Changing 24 Jun 2009 15:00 #4

• Nehalennia
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Every 30 hours for me. I'm due actually.

Skål,
Todd
~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

MMSI: 338080206

Engine Oil Changing 24 Jun 2009 16:03 #5

• Ghost Rider
  • Thank you received: 0

jholman;314130 wrote: Knowing that this must be a frequent topic I tried searching but the search criteria wouldn't accept "oil" as being under length. No matter how I tried manipulating the phrase it kept returning the same error message. My apologies for opening a topic that I'm sure has already been covered several times.

I was reading an old issue of DIY Boat magazine that recommends changing oil twice a year since oil in the crankcase picks up moisture during winter storage. I have been changing oil once only - at the end of the season.

It would seem to me, if moisture pick up is the issue, then wouldn't it make more sense to drain the oil and leave the crankcase empty over the winter?

The crank case is empty it all in the pan lol just roll your engine over once a month to get a fresh coat of oil. I don’t have to winterize but I like to fire her up once a month to keep the cobwebs out ie moisture.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds