Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use?

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 23 Jun 2009 19:20 #1

• RDaziel
  • RDaziel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am in the market for a pre-owned 2859. the boat will be moored and operated in saltwater. Is there anything I need to consider when buying a 2859 or any I/O boat for saltwater use?

If I buy a "fresh-water" boat is there any modifications that need to be made or are the engines and cooling systems the same?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 23 Jun 2009 19:45 #2

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Depends if its raw water or closed cooling. Closed coolubg uses a heat exchanger to transfer heat between the raw water outside the boat, and the boat is cooled with an antifreeze-water mix that runs in a closed loop. So the salt water never enters the engine/etc.

Make sure your anodes look good and there's good paint on the drive. Long-term, bonding is also very important.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 23 Jun 2009 22:28 #3

• stargazerwa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Also there are two kinds of freshwater cooling and you will see both kinds on I/O's. A full freshwater cooling systems using freshwater coolant to cool both the engine and the exhaust manifolds. A half freshwater system like I have on my Mercruiser Alpha using freshwater for the engine only. The manifolds are seawater cooled.

Since seawater is corrosive, the full system is best.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 24 Jun 2009 14:25 #4

• MikeValent
To answer your question. engines and cooling systems are the same. As the boys stated, the boat can have either a raw water cooling system (runs lake, river or bay/ocean water through the engine and exhaust manifolds) or a closed cooling system. Closed cooling can be a half-system (engine only) or a full system (engine and exhaust manifolds).

The only thing you would have to do to prepare a fresh water boat for salt water usage is to change all the anodes. Fresh and salt water use require anodes made of different metals to protect the drive (and heat exchanger if the engine has closed cooling).

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 24 Jun 2009 15:00 #5

• RDaziel
  • RDaziel's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for the education!

Any differences in I/O engine for salt water use? 24 Jun 2009 15:12 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

MikeValent;314119 wrote: To answer your question. engines and cooling systems are the same. As the boys stated, the boat can have either a raw water cooling system (runs lake, river or bay/ocean water through the engine and exhaust manifolds) or a closed cooling system. Closed cooling can be a half-system (engine only) or a full system (engine and exhaust manifolds).

The only thing you would have to do to prepare a fresh water boat for salt water usage is to change all the anodes. Fresh and salt water use require anodes made of different metals to protect the drive (and heat exchanger if the engine has closed cooling).

+ 1 :)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds