Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Throttle delay question

Throttle delay question 23 Jun 2009 19:18 #1

• JeffG
  • JeffG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
Let me start by saying I have read many threads on this forum that have helped me figure little things out that could have been a headache. So many thanks to all posters.

I have a 2002 1952 Classic Capri Cudy, 3.0 L engine. Prop is 14.25" X 21P, WOT is 38 mph (gps) @ 4800 RPM's.

When at an idle or just above and I throttle up, such as to get a skier out of the water or just to take off with no load, the engine bogs down to almost a stall before it kicks in. It actually stalled on me this past weekend and that was a first. Where should I look first to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks to any and all replies.
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Throttle delay question 23 Jun 2009 23:07 #2

• Ifallsguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Are you slowly moving the throttle? You need to make the move into gear decisive. You cannot just slowly slide it into gear. Besides stalling, you can eat up your gear box.

"THIN ICE"
1989 Capri 1950 CX
2.3 L Ford/OMC
MMSI 338094676
Ham Call N9XGZ

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 00:02 #3

• JohnL
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I assume you are already in gear when you have the bogging problem? Accelerator pump??

Blue Highways
93 2452

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 00:20 #4

• mattunique
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Unfortunately what you describe is characteristic of the carbed 3.0. Mine behaved that way when it was brand new. I was never able to resolve it. You need to throttle more slowly.

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 01:21 #5

• Canemah_Patriot
  • Thank you received: 4
Start by understanding how the fuel gets into a carb engine. Only two ways. Accelerator pumps and manifold vacuum. When you punch the throttle, your manifold vacuum drops to nothing, so there is nothing to pull the fuel into the engine. That's what the accelerator pumps do. If the pumps are bad or weak, the engine will falter.

But it may also falter because of vacuum leaks. If your manifold vacuum is already compromised because of a leak, the problem is magnified.

For pulling a skier out, try throttling gently until you can feel the drag from the skier, then punch it. If you're already at 1000 rpm, your manifold vacuum will be strong enough to keep the fuel flowing during the throttle-up.

Or you could just go with fuel injection.

Ken & Linda, Canemah Oregon
1984 Bayliner 2750 "Patriot"

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 03:13 #6

• JeffG
Yes, I am already in gear when this happens. I can slowly move the throttle forward and no problem. It's when I punch it that it bogs and Yes, it feels to me like lack of fuel.
Thanks for all the replies, I'll check on the accelerator pump, there may be an upgrade I can do. If this is common with the 3.0 Carbed engines then Merc may have an answer.
Jeff

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 03:28 #7

• wgander
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
I don't think it's common.
Well, not to me.
It's already been stated that you shift into gear smartly - that doesn't mean you go from neutral to full throttle in one motion - and I'll assume you know that. You should be able to shift into forward and slowly advance the throttle to take the slack out of the tow line. Once that's done, you should be able to add as much throttle as necessary to get the skieer up on plane or the tuber moving. Then you can set the throttle wherever.
By the way, for wakeboarding, I find it easier to watch RPM than speed to give a smoothe ride to the boarder.

1998 Capri 1950CL
3 Liter MerCruiser
Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 15:40 #8

• JeffG

wgander;314013 wrote: I don't think it's common.
Well, not to me.
It's already been stated that you shift into gear smartly - that doesn't mean you go from neutral to full throttle in one motion - and I'll assume you know that. You should be able to shift into forward and slowly advance the throttle to take the slack out of the tow line. Once that's done, you should be able to add as much throttle as necessary to get the skieer up on plane or the tuber moving. Then you can set the throttle wherever.
By the way, for wakeboarding, I find it easier to watch RPM than speed to give a smoothe ride to the boarder.

Correct, I do not go into full throttle from neutral. I'm moving forward slowly (after a swift **** into forward) weather pulling or not. When I advance the throttle slow there is no bog down, it's when I do it quickly that is when it bogs down.
It's good to know it's not a common problem for everyone because that means I can correct the issue.
I think my first step will be to change out the water seperating fuel filter and check the carb for gunk. This 2002 has very low hours so it may be something simple such as that.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 18:36 #9

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8

JeffG;314162 wrote: Correct, I do not go into full throttle from neutral. I'm moving forward slowly (after a swift **** into forward) weather pulling or not. When I advance the throttle slow there is no bog down, it's when I do it quickly that is when it bogs down.
It's good to know it's not a common problem for everyone because that means I can correct the issue.
I think my first step will be to change out the water seperating fuel filter and check the carb for gunk. This 2002 has very low hours so it may be something simple such as that.
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Mine did this also, Now it runs fine now after I treated the fuel with sta-bil fuel treatment. The 3.0 engine runs lean. I also regapped my plugs, they where out of spec. Other then that I also adjusted my idle to spec. Now it runs like a top. Oh! and I added a fuel/water filter. Not sure if this helps, you but I got mine to run great after these mods and adjustments.

And cleaned my air filter over carb.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 19:39 #10

• mattunique
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

JeffG;314162 wrote: ...
It's good to know it's not a common problem for everyone because that means I can correct the issue....

I hope you can find a solution but when I was researching this problem it was absolutely common place among 3.0 owners. If you do a search you will find many posts about the same problem as well as dieseling characteristic of this engine.

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 20:20 #11

• Zebra Muscle
  • Thank you received: 3
I have this exact issue w/my '96 Capri 3.0. Runs like all other times. However, I have not experienced the notorious dieseling these motors seem to be known for.

Z.
"A man must have just enough faith in himself to have an adventure - and just enough doubt in himself to enjoy it". -G.K. Chesterton

Throttle delay question 24 Jun 2009 23:02 #12

• wgander
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
(I don't have a fuel/water filter.)
While you're ccleaning things, don'y overlook the filter in the side of the carburetor: it's just mesh screen, but since the fuel line is small it wouldn't take much to clog it and restrict the flow of fuel, especially when you addd full throttle.
I've never used Sta-Bil, but since I travel and sometimes leave my boat unused for 6 months (with a full tank of fuel), I started adding Startron to each tank. It's not expensive and cheap insurance, if it works: I haven't had any fuel problems.
The 3 liter engine can diesel, and the easy way around it is to use higher octane gas. But if it's set right you won't have a problem, except maybe once in awhile when you go from pretty fast to shut down without letting it idle briefly.

1998 Capri 1950CL
3 Liter MerCruiser
Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds