Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear.

Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear. 22 Jun 2009 17:30 #1

• 2052 LS Norway
  • 2052 LS Norway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Bayliner friends.

Today when i was going out with my boat i had a problem. Started the engine as normal but when i put it in reverse it stopped. Tried again. Stopped.

Finally i drifted out in the marina, started up again, tried to go forward. Stopped. Tried again, gave ekstra power forward and off i went. When i came back and was going to doc again, it stopped when i put it in reverse.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear. 22 Jun 2009 17:39 #2

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I know on the OMCs there is a switch which cuts the ignition a bit to greatly slow the idle to complete the shift. Probably the same on all drives, at least all drives with clutch dogs.

If it's broke, or the engine is out of tune and can't idle that low, it cuts out too much and the engine dies.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear. 22 Jun 2009 17:54 #3

• 2052 LS Norway
  • 2052 LS Norway's Avatar Topic Author

ishiboo;313281 wrote: I know on the OMCs there is a switch which cuts the ignition a bit to greatly slow the idle to complete the shift. Probably the same on all drives, at least all drives with clutch dogs.

If it's broke, or the engine is out of tune and can't idle that low, it cuts out too much and the engine dies.

Thank you for the quick responce!

Anyone know about a shortcut i can do when i wait for service(it is highseason in Norway now and takes weeks to get help) or if there is anything i can do myself?

Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear. 22 Jun 2009 19:56 #4

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
It sounds very much like you have either a faulty, or out of adjustment, shift interupter switch. On the 4.3 it's located either on, or adjacent to, the starboard exhaust riser.
Unplug the switch to amplifier connection and check for continuity between terminal A on the switch-side connector and an engine ground. The switch is normaly open but when shifting out of forward or reverse it should momentarily close and then reopen. If not, replace the switch.
Visually watch this switch as someone shifts for you (with the engine not running), and make sure that the contact with the switch is momentary. If not readjust it. It shouldn't be out far.
As mentioned previously, your idle speed may be set a bit too slow, so that when the switch does activate, the engine cannot recover from the momentary lack of spark, and dies.
Happy boating.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Mercruiser 4.3 EFI stops when put in gear. 23 Jun 2009 00:07 #5

• SeaRush

bhawes;313359 wrote: It sounds very much like you have either a faulty, or out of adjustment, shift interupter switch. On the 4.3 it's located either on, or adjacent to, the starboard exhaust riser.
Unplug the switch to amplifier connection and check for continuity between terminal A on the switch-side connector and an engine ground. The switch is normaly open but when shifting out of forward or reverse it should momentarily close and then reopen. If not, replace the switch.
Visually watch this switch as someone shifts for you (with the engine not running), and make sure that the contact with the switch is momentary. If not readjust it. It shouldn't be out far.
As mentioned previously, your idle speed may be set a bit too slow, so that when the switch does activate, the engine cannot recover from the momentary lack of spark, and dies.
Happy boating.

What he said. This is a very simple system, but needs to be adjusted correctly to work.

Current boat - 1992 Wellcraft Eclipse 216.
Short list of wanted boats - Bayliner 2252, 3388, Advantage 22 Citation.
Past boats - Bayliner 3270, 2859, 2359, 1950 X 3, 2550, Wellcraft Nova III, Advantage 20.5 Classic BR.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds