• Page:

TOPIC: Generator Exhaust

Generator Exhaust 22 Jun 2009 12:26 #1

• ModMMax
  • ModMMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a gen that is plumbed in a conventional way. The muffler exhaust has a hose that runs straight up and then back down to a thru hull. It works OK but I am nervous about water intrustion in certain sea conditions. I installed a backflow valve in the exhaust hose that goes from the engine to the muffler as insurance but I am still nervous. Here's my idea. The engine exhaust system consists of a 10" water cooled hose that runs from the turbo up to a stainless fitting where the cooling water is added and then down at about a 30 degree angle where it connects to a fiberglass tube that looks like about 12" in diameter. This fiberglass tube runs to the stern where it exits below the swim deck. The tube is about 50% submerged. The fiberglass tube is right beside the gen muffler and the exhaust hose from the gen goes up and back right beside the end of the tube. What would be wrong with adding a fiberglass fitting to the large diameter tube to connect the gen hose to? What would be wrong with using the large diameter engine exhaust tube to handle the gen exhaust as well? The only issue that I can see might be difficulty in seeing that I had gen cooling. Maybe there would be a chance of the engine exhaust pressure causing a back flow of engine exhaust gas into the gen? Also, maybe the problems associated with following seas might also be an issue for the engine exhaust tubes. Do any boats use this sytem? Any thoughts?
Alvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Generator Exhaust 22 Jun 2009 15:33 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Alvin, would something like this accomplish what you want?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Pretty sure that I've seen not only the flapper in the correct size, but thru hull tips as well. You'd have to search and see what you could come up with.

This one may be a better choice..... it is from Go2marine.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Available in 1-1/2", 2", 3" and 3-1/2" .

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Generator Exhaust 22 Jun 2009 16:20 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

ModMMax;313116 wrote: Maybe there would be a chance of the engine exhaust pressure causing a back flow of engine exhaust gas into the gen? Also, maybe the problems associated with following seas might also be an issue for the engine exhaust tubes. Do any boats use this sytem? Any thoughts?
Alvin

I'm guessing the issue is backflow competition. I'm only guessing but you know it would be cheaper to do yet I've never seen it. So the OEM's are avoiding it for a reason.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Generator Exhaust 22 Jun 2009 16:43 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

What would be wrong with using the large diameter engine exhaust tube to handle the gen exhaust as well?

Wet exhaust hose diameter is designed relative to the calculated exhaust flow.
In theory, this determines exhaust gas velocity!
Velocity determines how well the exhaust displaces the wet portion.... I.E., cooling water.
I'd not re-invent this, IMO. I'd use the flapper valve and not worry about back flow.

Isn't there a high loop in the system anyway?

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Generator Exhaust 23 Jun 2009 12:11 #5

• ModMMax
  • ModMMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks All,
I ordered a new thru hull with the flapper cover. Should do the job.
Alvin

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds