Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 21 Jun 2009 13:38 #1

• vajim
  • vajim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Great site, makes me even happier to have just bought a 1999 Bayliner Ceira 2452... Just purchased boat a month ago from owner that rarely used her. 5.7 engine/Bravo 2 with 350 hours, raw water cooled. Originally the volt meter would read 11-12 volts, upon inspecting the wires, the orange wire was lose and corroded at the alternator. Cleaned and tightened, now 13-14+ volts. Very happy, but now when in neutral and the engine is above 1,000 rpm it makes an awful rattle that sounds like it is coming from rear of engine and can be heard from exhaust as a clicking/rattle sound. At idle sounds fine. Don't think the problem is related to the alternator, but don't really know as I can't remember if I ever increased idle before with no vibrating sound. When running, the engine is so loud don't know if it has always been there or not. Temp stays at 175 and oil pressure is around 40. The serpintine belt seems tight and don't feel any wobble on anything. Don't think anything has been done to her by previous owner, so I don't know where to start. Haven't had her out due to noise as I don't want to create any damage.

Any ideas on how to isolate vibration? It doesn't seem to be coming from alternator, and I don't think that would create sound through exhaust. Engine water pump? Seawater pump? Risers are not hot to touch, but warm. Where docked water can be murky and I have seen muck disturbed on leaving dock for only a second or two. Impeller was changed in 2008. Any help will greatly be appreciated!!! Just bought the Seloc Repair Manual, but can't find any info to guide me in the right direction. Thanks again-Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore
12' Jon Boat 3.5 Suzuki (cheap on gas)

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 21 Jun 2009 16:14 #2

• vajim
Tried to isolate vibration with turning outdrive back and forth...dead on center no noise at 1k to 1200, but change to left or right noise starts to raise it's ugly sound. Guess it's the U-joint(s)? Or maybe gimbal bearing? And not much difference if the outdrive is raised or lowered. Alternator has been ruled out as I adjusted the serp belt and it had no change. Any help would be appreciated on the "work on the boat Father's Day!!!":D

1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 21 Jun 2009 16:14 #3

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Possibly exhaust flaps? In the tubes behind the risers there are "flapper" valves that are designed to impede the backflow of water into the exhaust system. If the engine has been temporarily ran without cooling water, the rubber portion of these could have melted, just leaving the metal frame. I'm not sure that this would be loud enough to make the noise that you describe, but worthwhile checking.
With the engine running at the needed rpm's, place one end of a long screwdriver or thin steel rod on the exhaust tube, place the other end close to one ear. If the rattling sound in your ear corresponds to what your hearing with your other ear (stereo), you've located the problem. This same technique works for most all moving motor parts. Just be careful to avoid getting in contact with any belts, pulleys, etc.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 12:48 #4

• vajim
Thanks for the reply bhawes. I tried your recomendation and did not hear noise from flapper valves, think I had it in the right location as it has 90 degree elbows after the risers and could not see what would be the flapper valves. Guess they are internal and not easily seen. When the steering is dead center I don't hear the noise, so I think it may be ujoint or gimbal bearing...either way does not sound cheap to fix, and think I need a marine tech to fix. Hopfully it will get me through the summer, and fixed in the winter. Thanks again for helping me out-Jim

1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 12:57 #5

• cullyJ
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
prop shaft could be bent or a bad bearing. does the prop "wobble"?

"cullyJ" on 16 - 1997 2252 5.7L carb
alpha I/gen II 1.47:1 (?)
purchased by us in 1998 @ 50 hrs
new jasper long block, closed cooling,
psi hot water, deck shower
and privacy curtains - 2001
letas slant, bimini and glass - 2009
baltimore - norfolk, hydro race, 6 nights - 1999
baltimore - cape may,...

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 12:59 #6

• mrgoodwrench
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you are hearing a 'clack clack clack' type of noise you could be having an issue with the u-joints. Your statements point me in that direction - read on:

You stated that there is no noise when the wheel is dead straight. The noise comes when the wheel is truned left or right. This is when the u-joints will be stressed the most. In addition, you 'should' hear the clack clack when the drive is in the up position. Not trimmed up but trailer up.

I think that you should pull the drive and look at the u-joints for signs of wear. If they have not been greased, then is is a realitively inexpensive repair. If you push the u-joints to the point of failure, you will wind up with a HUGE reapir bill - look at this thread by member Wildman HERE to understand the point.

Better to get fixed now for less that $100 or so than waste time and the boating season.

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 13:59 #7

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
Yep! Ditto John's comment! You really need to do this anyway on a New-to-you boat.
Engine alignment needs to be done as well.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 15:12 #8

• vajim
Thanks to everyone for waking me up!!! Now to find a good mechanic to check it out. Wildman's story sure does open my eyes to what can happen, hope I can get by without breaking the bank... One more question, mrgoodwrench, you mentioned trailered up position and not trimed up, is it ok to run the engine in the trailered up position? Thought it was too much stress on drive and should never be done...a friend did it years ago in shallow water and drive issues soon developed. I've never done it, but don't know if previous owner ever did. Thanks again to all...-Jim

1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 22 Jun 2009 15:21 #9

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

vajim;313211 wrote: ............... One more question, mrgoodwrench, you mentioned trailered up position and not trimed up, is it ok to run the engine in the trailered up position? Thought it was too much stress on drive and should never be done...a friend did it years ago in shallow water and drive issues soon developed. I've never done it, but don't know if previous owner ever did. Thanks again to all...-Jim

Jim, I'd say that the word "stress" may be an over-statement, but it certainly is not desireble.
The bearing crosses (U joints) can articulate in this position at low rpm, but loading them or placing them at High RPM would not be good, IMO.
Best to not get into this range with the engine running!

"Trim" is a range within the working scope of the Tilt/Trim that is normal while under load!
"Trailering" is a range within what we should consider a non-working range for the engine to be running.
You'll notice a different technique used with the trim/trailer button for each range.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Engine vibration above 1,000 RPM 23 Jun 2009 00:02 #10

• vajim
Called previous owner and he gave me mechanic who kept up with maintenance. Mechanic says he doubts that the ujoints are bad, says he hasn't had to replace any on Bravo II's since he can remember. Plan to take it to him for him to listen to rattle/vibration. Also asked about his thoughts on flush kits for raw water cooled engines...he says they are worthless. Kind of have my doubts on this mechanic. Boat is used in the Rappahanock River/Chesapeake Bay, so it's salt/brackish water. Can someone reccomend a good flush kit to install on engine? Or should I not waste time/money as the engine is a 1999 and maybe the damage if any has already been done. I do plan on checking risers/exhaust manifolds soon. Thanks much-Jim

1999 Ciera 2452 5.7L BII
1989 Wahoo 1850 Offshore
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds