Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New washdown pump hiccups

New washdown pump hiccups 19 Jun 2009 08:25 #1

• Jeffw
  • Jeffw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I've installed these before with no problems. What's different is the pickup point. The problem: Shurflo 4.0 problaster washdown pump spits intermittently and seems to be taking air into the system.

I tee'd into my generator thru-hull cooling water line, after the strainer (yes, it's clean, and yes, the genny seems to run fine.) Brass tee, bottom to seacock, right to genny, left to brass check valve (to keep water from draining out of washdown system,) then @ 5 feet of 3/4 inch reinforced vinyl tubing to above-waterline pump strainer (less than 3' lift, rated to 6' I believe,) then @ 1 foot to the right to pump. Yes, check valve installed properly. No leaks anywhere, short run of proper sized and fused wiring.

Output side is @ 1 foot 3/4 inch tubing to brass tee, splitting to 1/2 inch reinforced tubing for front and rear quick-disconnect outlets. No leaks anywhere, lines stay pressurized until opened, but then intermittent flow, with lots of air.

Could the pump be sucking air into the system through the genny cooling line? (BTW, genny not running during pump use.) Could I need a check valve on the genny side of intake tee, to keep water (and air?) from being sucked out of the genny? Any and all help sincerely appreciated. THANKS!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

New washdown pump hiccups 19 Jun 2009 11:24 #2

• johnnyq627
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe sucking air through the genny, or what I run into with my aquariums sometimes is if you run water through different sized pipes adapted together, cavitation can occur.

Does it do this constantly or just at the start? If at the start I think it's normal and just getting a good prime.

Nick

New washdown pump hiccups 19 Jun 2009 16:58 #3

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast

johnnyq627;311949 wrote: Maybe sucking air through the genny, or what I run into with my aquariums sometimes is if you run water through different sized pipes adapted together, cavitation can occur.

Does it do this constantly or just at the start? If at the start I think it's normal and just getting a good prime.

Nick

Thanks for the reply. I think for cavitation, there must be a source of air. It does it constantly, I let it run wide open for over 5 minutes, no difference.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"

New washdown pump hiccups 19 Jun 2009 19:09 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Then you must be pulling air back through the genny's cooling system raw water discharge. I would not add a check valve. I would look for a new soucre of water.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

New washdown pump hiccups 19 Jun 2009 19:59 #5

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast

whiskywizard;312160 wrote: Then you must be pulling air back through the genny's cooling system raw water discharge. I would not add a check valve. I would look for a new soucre of water.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I only have two options, the AC pickup, or pulling the boat and putting in another seacock. Or I suppose I could go through the transom above the waterline, then down to an external pickup. Why not install a check valve?

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"

New washdown pump hiccups 20 Jun 2009 06:25 #6

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
For the price of a nipple and check valve (@$12) and a beer's worth of time in the bilge, problem solved, lake water pump works fine. Shoots water well over 30 feet, think of the possibilites...:arr

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds