Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: volvo question

volvo question 19 Jun 2009 07:18 #1

• luckydog
  • luckydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I fired up my engine(volvo 280) in the 28 Sunbridge on ear muffs, after 20seconds I could see water wasn't circulating thru the water pump( getting warm). Shut down the motor, and for the heck of it I took of the hose that comes from the tube coming from intermediate housing and no water was coming out, the ear muffs were on, the bottom hole plugged, good water pressure. I then took the hose and put it in the pipe going to the intermediate housing inside the engine compartment, and water would come out of the outdrive, but came out slowly. Is there a possible blockage ??? Thanks Roman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

volvo question 19 Jun 2009 12:17 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

luckydog;311931 wrote: ...................... Shut down the motor, and for the heck of it .............

1. I took of the hose that comes from the tube coming from intermediate housing and no water was coming out, the ear muffs were on, the bottom hole plugged, good water pressure.
  2. I then took the hose and put it in the pipe going to the intermediate housing inside the engine compartment, and water would come out of the outdrive, but came out slowly.
  3. Is there a possible blockage ???
Thanks Roman

That is strange, although I don't make a practice of doing what you did myself. I use the system that Volvo Penta provided and with my garden hose muffs for the lower unit....... (hole plugged, of course.... and I have to use the long muffs/bracket for my drives).

I think that what you are referring to is the chromed copper water tube in the "Transom Shield". I've not seen this larger V-8 water tube blocked before........ However, I have seen a few of these lower unit, pivot tube, water neck fittings restricted with sea life (crustaceans of sorts) before. I have literally removed a small hand full of shells from these before.

While you may not be having any over-heating issues now, you may want to pull this apart and take a look see. (Good time to replace a few O rings/water neck anyway...... only costs you a few hours and a few new O rings!)

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

volvo question 20 Jun 2009 00:07 #3

• luckydog
Thanks Rick, what is the easiest way to get to the water neck, do you take the upper unit off or do you pull the whole drive?? Thanks Roman

volvo question 20 Jun 2009 02:14 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just the transmission (upper).

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

volvo question 20 Jun 2009 07:00 #5

• luckydog
Thank You Roman

volvo question 20 Jun 2009 13:56 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You're welcome.
Great opportunity to check U joint crosses, bellows, etc.
In addition to the water neck fitting/gasket......, you'll need four O rings and one gasket for the oil fill plug.
Heat the suspension fork some if the screws seem to be hard to turn. You do not want to break one.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds