Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: intake strainer on bravo 2

intake strainer on bravo 2 19 Jun 2009 01:06 #1

• Capt. Morgan
  • Capt. Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am considering adding a perko intake basket style strainer on my raw water inlet hose prior to the sea water pump on my bravo 2. Does anyone see a problem with this? Would a reduction in inlet flow be created by this arangement? Thanks for all ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Capt. Morgan
'03 2452; 5.7 ;bravo 2 ;lots of mods
South Carolina

intake strainer on bravo 2 19 Jun 2009 01:25 #2

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
why, what is your thought on why you need it?

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

intake strainer on bravo 2 19 Jun 2009 01:49 #3

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
If you get a decent-sized strainer it should flow plenty, it will still reduce your maximum flow available but you shouldn't ever need to hit that. It's very important that you make sure it's never clogged or or will overheat fairly quickly. Something with a bigger screen is good - fine screen is exccessive.

You may be able stick a dash-mounted vacuum gauge on the output side of the filter, I'm willing to bet that the fairly hearty pump will pull a good vacuum when it's clogged.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

intake strainer on bravo 2 19 Jun 2009 04:01 #4

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534

ishiboo;311843 wrote:
You may be able stick a dash-mounted vacuum gauge on the output side of the filter, I'm willing to bet that the fairly hearty pump will pull a good vacuum when it's clogged.

Huh? Why? If the temp goes up, the alarm goes off and the engine (if newer generation) shuts down to minimum rpm to allow you to get to the dock...

Why not just install a larger thru hull fitting? The leg pick up I believe is 1", you can install a 1.5" like I have and it runs to the strainer then to the engine impeller...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

intake strainer on bravo 2 20 Jun 2009 00:17 #5

• Capt. Morgan
  • Capt. Morgan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Talman I operate in both fresh and salt water sometimes in semi shallow conditions. I have a closed cooling system on the engine and a heat exchanger for engine cooling.I would like to have some filtration for the raw water coming in since i have noticed some sand/silt in the heat exchanger when cleaning it out semi annually.

Ishiboo: good idea on the vacuum guage but i will be checking/cleaning the filter after every outing.

Doug: I do not have a thru hull pick up on my 2452, mine pulls in thru the outdrive. I see you have added a thru hull pickup on your boat. I might look in to changing out to a thru hull as well. Are those galvanized pipe fittingson your inlet line?

Capt. Morgan
'03 2452; 5.7 ;bravo 2 ;lots of mods
South Carolina
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds