• Page:

TOPIC: Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 17 Jun 2009 20:32 #1

• SoFloStone
  • SoFloStone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I currently have a Lowrance LMS-527C DF iGPS Combo installed, and just purchased a Lowrance LVR-250 VHF DSC radio.

Can someone please point me to a 10' cable that will connect the two together, and an external speaker that I can install and will 'Plug and Play' with the radio?

I have exhausted my google abilities, and the Lowrance website is no help either.

Thank you,

Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

[/I][/B]

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 17 Jun 2009 21:18 #2

• jwishart
Try one of these for an external speaker:

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/accessoryshow.asp?menupick=ES-4

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/accessoryshow.asp?menupick=ES-2

These just plug into the external speaker jack on the back of your radio.

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 18 Jun 2009 00:43 #3

• Ifallsguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I have a Lowrance GPS/Sonar tied into an Eagle EVR-150 VHF radio. I'm going to guess your setup will be similar to mine.

There should be a cable which hooks into the radio that has loose wires at the end. You will only need to use 2 wires (check your manual since should only need the com and ground or shield wires). These hook up to a similar wire set coming off the large connector going into the back of the GPS (not network/com or sonar). Check your GPS manual for the two wires your need (receive + and receive - or ground). These will hook up to the com or transmit and shield or ground from the radio.

This may sound confusing, it took me about 15 minutes to figure it out the first time. And then go into settings on the GPS to make sure you turn on the NMEA setting. This is not the NMEA 2000 (network) but the older style. I needed to set to 4800 baud, but that could be different for your setup (again, check the radio manual).

About 30 seconds after making the hookup, going into settings and entering, the radio was showing the GPS position on its screen.

Be aware, you may hear a ringing phone, indicating no GPS input to the radio, once the radio is set up to receive the signal from the GPS.

Good Luck.

"THIN ICE"
1989 Capri 1950 CX
2.3 L Ford/OMC
MMSI 338094676
Ham Call N9XGZ

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 18 Jun 2009 04:42 #4

• JohnQ
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I think the confusion comes from thinking they tie together via the LowranceNet, they don't. You have to splice the loose wires from the GPS Power cable bundle (not the Power/Hot or ground wires but the other color coded wires) to the loose wires of the GPS. The GPS wires will be the "Talker Wires" and the Radio wires will be the "Listener Wires." Now look in the manuals for each using those terms and it should make some sense. Swamp Thang (The Shorter Network) can probably S'plain it better than I (Longer Network) can. :arr

Upper Left Hand Corner -- Freshwater Bay
1995 2002 W/A Trophy
MMSI Number: 338070644

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 19 Jun 2009 05:27 #5

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
I have the same remote speaker on my recently aquired ICOM VHF. There is not a plug on the ICOM, but 2 wires to make an external speaker connection to. I just purchased an adequate length of quality speaker wire, and it works great (I did have to cut the plug and play jack off of the speaker to make the splice). As others have stated, as far as the other connections go, just follow the instructions with both the VHF and Chartplotter. The baud rate setting is the key to getting these 2 to communicate. It sounds as if your 2 devices are a fair distance apart, so just pick up a length of wire from an electronics distributor with the required number of wires at an appropriate guage.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 19 Jun 2009 16:20 #6

• SoFloStone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the help guys, I dug out the manual for the GPS and it seems to be pretty straight forward.

Currently my VHF is in the cabin which is less than ideal and it's hard to hear, so initially I wanted to put the VHF on my dash, but it would be within 6" of the compass. This would nullify the need for an external speaker....

As I have GPS and do not require the compass (it's 13 years old and out of calibration), my question is does the compass have a negative effect on the VHF, or is it just the magnetic field of the VHF that has an effect on the compass?

Attached is a picture of what I would like to do... What do you think?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/312098=6733-Trophy Dash VHF.JPG

[/I][/B]

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 19 Jun 2009 19:49 #7

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
It's the vhf that has the effect on the compass.
I'd be careful about getting rid of the compass altogether. If you ever operate in fog or less than ideal visibility conditions and your GPS goes sideways (which it eventually will), who ya gonna call? Use your gps heading to help you adjust your compass and keep reciprocal courses for your favorite haunts. That way if you ever do find yourself gpsless, you'll at least be able to get close to home.
I carry a portable gps, as well as my fixed, when I'm planning to go offshore, but still have a compass for reference.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Lowrance VHF to GPS Cable 19 Jun 2009 21:28 #8

• SoFloStone
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

bhawes;312177 wrote: It's the vhf that has the effect on the compass.
I'd be careful about getting rid of the compass altogether. If you ever operate in fog or less than ideal visibility conditions and your GPS goes sideways (which it eventually will), who ya gonna call? Use your gps heading to help you adjust your compass and keep reciprocal courses for your favorite haunts. That way if you ever do find yourself gpsless, you'll at least be able to get close to home.
I carry a portable gps, as well as my fixed, when I'm planning to go offshore, but still have a compass for reference.

Thank you on the information... I will definitely keep the compass there as a visual, and when I get around to re-finishing the dash I can move the new compass away from the VHF.

Thanks again.

Rick

[/I][/B]
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds