Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 14:21 #1

• Keeper
  • Keeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
Does anybody know where can I get either a new gas tank or a used gas tank and how to replace it? Do I need to remove the floor to access the tank?
Are there some instructions on how to remove it from the Bayliner company ?
Thanks very much for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 14:34 #2

• lonemule
I had it done on my 1983 2850 Command Bridge. There are several companies that can make a new tank. I used a local fabricator. Google "marine fuel tanks" and you will find some one. Mine cost about $700.00. I also had the exterior etched and barrier coated. As far a s the job on my boat, it was almost all unscrew the plywood floor panels in the aft portion of the cabin. One small section had to be cut out to (bulkhead between the cabin and engine compartment that sits directly over the tank and helps hold it in place. May be more complicated on the aft cabin in a Sunbridge model. Bigest challenge is getting the tank empty and flushed so it can be handled safely.

I know this wasn't much technical help but for me this was one job that turned out to be less of a challenge than I thought.

Good luck.

Jim
Boat Name - Krusty Krab :arr
1983 2850 Bayliner Contessa Command Bridge
7.4L VP
VP Duo Prop
Kohler 5KW
Coast Guard Registration Port of Record - Fairfax, VA
Current Home Port - Woodbridge, VA

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 14:35 #3

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
You have to remove the floor in the aft cabin and the wall separating the engine compartment from the aft cabin. Then it pulls out.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 14:36 #4

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I just called RDS and they quoted me $800 for the original tank. Not to bad, may be a solid replacement. You need the part # off the tank and mine's at the shop so I couldn't get it, if you find yours post it here! :)

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 15:03 #5

• Keeper

ishiboo;310943 wrote: I just called RDS and they quoted me $800 for the original tank. Not to bad, may be a solid replacement. You need the part # off the tank and mine's at the shop so I couldn't get it, if you find yours post it here! :)

Thanks very much have not been able to get the part number. Does anybody know the part number? that would be a great help. thx

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 15:35 #6

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The $794.96 they quoted me was for a tank with maximum dimensions of 48"x9.5"x69" at 120 gallons, which sounds about right. If I'm correct in "knowing" that the 2850 (mine is actually a 2855, whats the difference?) has a RDS-brand tank form the factory, I believe this would be it.

As soon as mine is back from the shop I'll try and find the part # and measure the width in the back.

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 22:17 #7

• Keeper
Called Bayliner Customer Service 360 435 8957
It looks like the Bayliner part number is 7207 at that time Seems to be a "Belly tank"
I was informed that the manufacturer of the tank is Coast Line Equipment & it is still in business 360 734 8509 they gave me a price of $749.41 + shipping
I am awaiting for a fax with the dimensions but it looks like it is 48 wide and 69 1/2 long and other meassurements & details I am going to ghet in the fax
Lets compare your measurements
What is the model of tank that you are getting? and what is the manufaturer? If you give me this info I will call them and compare the measurements from the fax with the model they suggested to you.

Thanks for your help

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 17 Jun 2009 23:10 #8

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The measurements are there, basically the same. 48"x9.5"x69". Price is eerily similar.

How do you know your tank is leaking? Any spots where you can see fuel?

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 00:58 #9

• Keeper

ishiboo;311253 wrote: The measurements are there, basically the same. 48"x9.5"x69". Price is eerily similar.

Well I was going to put her on the water this week and while working on the boat I noticed a gas smell and then a dripping at the plug ( lowest point) then my mechanic confirmed the tank was leaking and I pumped out the fuel and tomorrow I will order the tank :(
This was a blessing in many ways !
does your tank have an irregular shape? angles ? I am still waiting for the fax but I was told that the outboard sides had an angle. Is this correct?
Everybody Thanks for your help!!!

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 01:00 #10

• Keeper

ishiboo;311253 wrote: The measurements are there, basically the same. 48"x9.5"x69". Price is eerily similar.

Well I was going to put her on the water this week and while working on the boat I noticed a gas smell and then a dripping at the plug ( lowest point) then my mechanic confirmed the tank was leaking and I pumped out the fuel and tomorrow I will order the tank :(
This was a blessing in many ways !
does your tank have an irregular shape? angles ? I am still waiting for the fax but I was told that the outboard sides had an angle. Is this correct?
Everybody Thanks for the help!!!

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 02:48 #11

• MikeValent
RDS did the replacement for my 89 2655 a few years back. Supposedly they did the original tanks for Bayliner's east coast factory or factories. the 2655 has a 105 gallon tank, where the 2855 and 2858 took a 120 gallon one. Both are belly tanks. RDS faxed me the plans for the tank, and that helped me visualize where the existing tank was when I went to cut out the cave floor to get it out.

There's a great description, with plenty of pictures, of (I think it was) BigBabyLou replacing the fuel tank on his 2655 on this board. The process for a 2855 should be just about the same.

It's a sweaty, messy job, but really not that difficult for someone with more determination than brains to successfully complete. Good luck!

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 02:57 #12

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There's a thread in "completed projects" with pictures, may be a different model but its the same process and same tank shape... it's shaped like any belly tank. Square but the bottom is "v" shaped with a small flat strip at the angle.

What "plug" did you notice leaking? From what I've seen I did not see any connection between the bulkhead where the tank sits and the bilge area... I don't have any fuel in the bilge or any signs EXCEPT for a huge fuel smell when I fill up. I checked the hoses for wear but I didn't find anything out of place or damaged.

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 03:04 #13

• whiskeyzulu

Keeper;310928 wrote: Hi
Does anybody know where can I get either a new gas tank or a used gas tank and how to replace it? Do I need to remove the floor to access the tank?
Are there some instructions on how to remove it from the Bayliner company ?
Thanks very much for your help!

Have a look here: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album511

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album507

There is a local late 80's 2550 that went in from above the engine hatch w/ a sawz all - and I think he said he didn't have to remove engine - they did a nice job re-glassing and you have to look carefully to see the seam. Pls post pics of your project.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
(Teddy Roosevelt).

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 03:08 #14

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
On the 2850(5) it should just pull out once the aft cabin wall and floor is out. ("just" that :)) With the wall out there should be plenty of room to pull it out from what I can see.

Perhaps engine removal is necessary if you cut out the bulkhead directly behind the tank and plan on pulling it out without touching the aft cabin wall/floor... that seems like a TON more work and deals in structural components of the boat.

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 04:55 #15

• offshoreA3
  • Thank you received: 1

whiskeyzulu;311353 wrote: Have a look here: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album511

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/album507

There is a local late 80's 2550 that went in from above the engine hatch w/ a sawz all - and I think he said he didn't have to remove engine - they did a nice job re-glassing and you have to look carefully to see the seam. Pls post pics of your project.

We were inspired by BigBabyLou's instructions on the old board to attempt this project, and found there were small differences based on hull size.

We suspect Bayliner fiberglassed the fuel tanks into all the various hulls using the same method (ie. pouring resin over fiberglass cloth layed over the top of the aluminum tank to hold it in place) but the clearances in the removal process will vary. That said, we don't see how you could cut the resin'd cloth to free the tank without coming in from the top of the tank (in the aft berth on our boat).

Alan
1987 Ciera Sunbridge 2550 "Hiatus"
5.7L w/San Juan Engineering Full-Closed Cooling / OMC Cobra
Galvanized Calkins tandem trailer w/rollers.

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 18 Jun 2009 15:03 #16

• Keeper
Here are the dimensions of the fuel tank for the Contessa command Bridge 2850
Easy to see it if you go to the internet
Custom Marine Fuel Tanks . com

http://www.custommarinefueltanks.com/marine_tanks/marine_belly_tanks.htm

Belly Tank

With A = 48"
Height B= 9 1/2 "
Height C= 5 1/2"
With D = 20"
Tank Length 69 1/2"

120 Gallons
Let me know if these meassurements are correct they were provided by Coastline Equipment who manufactured the tank in the 1980s and the company is still in business
Thanks

Replacing the Gas tank Contessa Sunbridge 2850 23 Jun 2009 04:46 #17

• offshoreA3
  • Thank you received: 1
We have the 105 gal. tank not the 120, however ours still had the label showing it was also OEM by Coastline Marine (now Coastline Equipment, Marine Division).

It was a simple matter to call them and give them the tank model number (1050-B for us) and they manufactured and shipped an exact replacement which fit perfectly, a good thing since some of the clearances getting the thing out/in were less than 1/2"...

If they said they can supply you a replacment for the same model tank, you should be in good shape.

Also, we found David Pascoe's article on 'How to Install an Aluminum Fuel Tank...' at www.yachtsurvey.com ) quite enlightening and helpful.

Alan
1987 Ciera Sunbridge 2550 "Hiatus"
5.7L w/San Juan Engineering Full-Closed Cooling / OMC Cobra
Galvanized Calkins tandem trailer w/rollers.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds