• Page:

TOPIC: Mopving AC to the flybridge

Mopving AC to the flybridge 17 Jun 2009 11:21 #1

• ModMMax
  • ModMMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Its time to start thinking about changing out the reverse heat/cool units on the boat. There are 3 units, a 16,500 and two 12,000. One 12k will not work in the heat mode and frequently blows the breaker during the start cycle. The other 12K unit works but does not produce much heat or cooling. The 16.5k unit works the best and has led me to consider keeping it and installing it on the flybridge. We have a hardtop and soft sides on our flybridge and it would be great to have cooling and heat up there. There is lots of room to install it under the helm dash and getting power and cooling lines to it are not an issue. The existing 3 units are cooled from the same pump. I assume that the 12 feet difference in elevation that will exist between the lower 3 and the flybridge unit will require a seperate cooling pump for the upper one. I think the 3 lower units will starve the upper unit for water if I try to use the same pump for all 4. The question is about the lift capabilities of AC cooling pumps. None of them list lift stats. Does anyone have experience with the lift abilities of an AC cooling pump? Thanks in advance.
Alvin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mopving AC to the flybridge 17 Jun 2009 12:16 #2

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
The pumps supplied with the A/C install kits come from third party manufactures. Usually they have a tag with model and make on the pump. Most pumps have a chart that comes with them showing the flow at different lifts (head). If not, I would suspect you can email the manufacture to find out. From what I've seen of the pumps that are standard with A/c units they loose capacity quickly as the head increases so I would think anything over 5 or 6 feet would become an issue.

I changed my original cooling pump to a better quality one but I still double it will lift 12 feet without substantial loss.

What do you intend to do with the discharge? You will have to somehow run a hose to water level or the noise will drive you and your dock mates crazy!

Larry

Larry

Mopving AC to the flybridge 17 Jun 2009 12:28 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
I would look for ways to keep the compressor and condensor coil down in the boat and place only the evap coil and blower up on the bridge deck. Any decent HVAC guy can increase your refirdgerant volume and adjust the charge.

That way, only small diameter copper tube is running up to the bridge deck. They would need to be well insulated with foam wrap.

Maybe the the compressor and condensor coil can remain right where they are, and use the existing colling water supply/discharge?

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Mopving AC to the flybridge 17 Jun 2009 15:39 #4

• Syzygyone
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
HI ModMMAX:

I've left you a PM.

I've been researching boat air conditioning and reverse cycle heat units recently, (albeit much smaller than what you have). I came across these two sites that should give you the info you need, or at least a jumping off point.

http://www.primetimepump.com/
http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/depco/MarineNewsletter2007.pdf

Good Luck & Smooth Cruisin' to ya'll! :arr
The Admiral and Syzygyone
"Afternoon Delight"

Albums - '77 Sea Ray 240 SRV SDB; '03 Bayliner 175

Mopving AC to the flybridge 17 Jun 2009 23:43 #5

• ModMMax
  • ModMMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks All,
Since these units are kind of self contained, I was planning to move a complete unit to under the helm dash. My thoughts were to run two fluid lines from the engine room to the flybridge, one for cooling input and one for discharge. I am able to get at the area of the hull where 2 of the existing 3 discharges are located so adding another thu hull is not problem. I hadn't considered having the unit converted to a spit system. Good idea and it would solve a lot of problems. Can't leave it where it is since the new one would replace it but there are a few unused spots in the engine room. Interesting points about the head capabilities of these pumps. Unit in the engine room would solve that issue. More research. Thanks for the input. All good stuff.
Alvin

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds