Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intermittent Starting Problem

Intermittent Starting Problem 16 Jun 2009 22:42 #1

• Vetack
  • Vetack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, I am running out of hair to pull out...

Final trip of last year was cut short due to issues starting the boat. When the key was turned, nothing happened, no click, no noise, nothing. Able to remove seats and engine cover, jump starter solenoid and call is a season. Starter solenoid jumped fine, engine started right up so we figured it was the solenoid.

Last month went to replase starter solenoid, engine turns over fine!
Put it in the water ran it for an hour, start and stopped multiple times with no problem!

Went out last Sunday, ran fine and started fine for first 3 hours, then dead again... Removed engine cover and seats, jumped from solenoid, left running for the next hour while we finished up and went home.

During that last hour I would bump the ignition every once is a while just to see if it would try and crank, no sound. Turned it off, not able to start, jumped solenoid and when back to dock.

After I put her on the trailer, just for fun I cranked it over again, and she started right up! Repeated five times with no problem starting....

Where is the slave solenoid on a '94 2050LS with a 4.3LX Merc?

Any Ideas on what may be wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

~Vetack
1994 Bayliner Capri 2050LS
[/FONT]

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 01:22 #2

• Neverhome
Just a guess, and sometimes I am right, and other times just dead wrong, as I am about as far from being a mechanic as the East Coast is to the West Coast, but, I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the contact switch in the shift lever. I am sure someone with more mechanical knowledge here will be able to help.

Good luck.

Neverhome

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 01:28 #3

• boomer

Neverhome;310691 wrote: Just a guess, and sometimes I am right, and other times just dead wrong, as I am about as far from being a mechanic as the East Coast is to the West Coast, but, I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be the contact switch in the shift lever. I am sure someone with more mechanical knowledge here will be able to help.

Good luck.

Neverhome

mine was dead after a run the other day and it turned out the battery terminals were slightly loose and after tightening them the boat started first shot.

edit: One other thought is that the interlock on the shift lever may be failing, the microswitch, i dont know if its a closed loop or open look over the top of my head but if the remote controls even just "think" the boat is in gear then they will not allow you to start it so check that too, its on top of the motor near the starboard (i think) exhaust riser. this may be what neverhome means....

edit: one other thing to tell us is do the gauges and lights and crap work when you turn the key on. Dies the tach reset, most tachs reset to 0 when they are energized.

Judgement Day is Near!
93' Bayliner Classic 2250 5.0 4BBL
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

1/8 Mile: 7.291 @ 105.1 MPH - 1.99 60ft - Miami-Dade County Line Dragway, street tires and stock gearing. [/COLOR]

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 06:17 #4

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats
Although it could be the solenoid, it could also be the starter. As the contact points in the starting motor get worn (or corroded), you can get some intermmitent problems. As an experiment, next time it happens, try tapping on the starter housing with a hammer or wrench and see if it cranks.

I also ran across a similar issue and, after some diagnosis, ended up running larger wires from batt to starter. I never had trouble with it after that, although it could be that the extra voltage overcame the contact issues. Likewise, when you jump to the solenoid, it could just be overpowering the weak contacts. On my old sailboat forum, a lot of people would rebuild or replace their starter when it had these issues.

Also, did you search the forum?

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 14:43 #5

• Apperloo
  • Thank you received: 1
My issue with the same symptoms ended up being the ignition switch

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] - - - Our Second Boat - - -:D
2002 Bayliner 34 -Twin Turbo M250 Diesels
Mission, British Columbia, CA
www.semiahmooyachtclub.com

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 15:42 #6

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8
i just went thru this problem, the dealer looked into the starter and solenoid, they put it in a water tank to test and it worked fine for them, until they pulled off starter and solenoid and bench tested it. It was the starter motor. Plus I had a lope in starting the motor. The new starter kicks the engine over way better.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 20:53 #7

• Vetack
  • Vetack's Avatar Topic Author
Ok, the gauges and everything light up fine, so it is not the ignition switch.

I am thinking it may be the in-gear switch? Where is this located?

Also, does this model have a slave solenoid as well?

~Vetack
1994 Bayliner Capri 2050LS
[/FONT]

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 21:23 #8

• boomer

wildman;310822 wrote: I also ran across a similar issue and, after some diagnosis, ended up running larger wires from batt to starter. I never had trouble with it after that,although it could be that the extra voltage overcame the contact issues.

did you mean "current" not "voltage"? In a 12 volt system i would expect the only advantage to larger gauge wire would be improved current flow, although they do say that "stranded" conductor carries voltage better than solid conductor because voltage travels on the surface of the metal.

Vetack;311192 wrote: Ok, the gauges and everything light up fine, so it is not the ignition switch.

I am thinking it may be the in-gear switch? Where is this located?

Also, does this model have a slave solenoid as well?

see my previous post...although im almost positive most alphas have it mounted on the top of the motor somewhere....locate the shift cable coming from the remote control and then follow it to where it meets the engine...

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

1/8 Mile: 7.291 @ 105.1 MPH - 1.99 60ft - Miami-Dade County Line Dragway, street tires and stock gearing. [/COLOR]

Intermittent Starting Problem 17 Jun 2009 21:51 #9

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats

boomer;311210 wrote: did you mean "current" not "voltage"? In ...

Yes, you may have caught me throwing generalized terms around. If memory serves me correctly, I measured resistence of the wire with a digital voltmeter, and it was higher than that recommended for such a run. The wire was smaller than recommended for marine purposes, so I replaced the one there with a larger one.

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

Intermittent Starting Problem 20 Jun 2009 03:53 #10

• mtbiker9000
Just because your lights turn on oes not meen your ignition switch is fine, your ignition swithc is actually two switches one of course being your dash power and the far turn of the key will engage your solenoid on the motor. I had the same problem intermittently years ago on my starboard 4.3lx come to find out my ignition wires and safety lanyard wires were corroded evn though they looked fine, I replaced all the wiring connections going to everything in the dash related to my ignition switch and lanyard switches and that worked, has been running for 3 seasons with no reoccurence of THIS issue, if only I could say that for the whole boat.

1995 Maxum 2700 SCR
Twin 4.3L LX mercruiser engines
Tenacity
Salem Ma.

Intermittent Starting Problem 20 Jun 2009 17:39 #11

• boomer

mtbiker9000;312349 wrote: Just because your lights turn on oes not meen your ignition switch is fine, your ignition swithc is actually two switches one of course being your dash power and the far turn of the key will engage your solenoid on the motor. I had the same problem intermittently years ago on my starboard 4.3lx come to find out my ignition wires and safety lanyard wires were corroded evn though they looked fine, I replaced all the wiring connections going to everything in the dash related to my ignition switch and lanyard switches and that worked, has been running for 3 seasons with no reoccurence of THIS issue, if only I could say that for the whole boat.

not a bad thought...i would just wire a push button start switch to test your idea... actually i believe that is going on my list of features and improvements now...because i would much rather have a button instead of turning the key.

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds