Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: bellows lubricant?

bellows lubricant? 16 Jun 2009 18:05 #1

• boomer
  • boomer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Examining my bellows they appear to be relatively new...what can i spray on them to keep them in new condition because i heard they are a bitch to replace? Is there some silicon spray or rubber spray that can be used for longevity and to prevent tearing and cracking or is fresh water rinse enough?
The water is so warm here that things grow and corrode REALLY fast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Judgement Day is Near!
93' Bayliner Classic 2250 5.0 4BBL
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

1/8 Mile: 7.291 @ 105.1 MPH - 1.99 60ft - Miami-Dade County Line Dragway, street tires and stock gearing. [/COLOR]

bellows lubricant? 16 Jun 2009 18:47 #2

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8

boomer;310506 wrote: Examining my bellows they appear to be relatively new...what can i spray on them to keep them in new condition because i heard they are a bitch to replace? Is there some silicon spray or rubber spray that can be used for longevity and to prevent tearing and cracking or is fresh water rinse enough?
The water is so warm here that things grow and corrode REALLY fast.

Then only thing to do is just keep your drive in the down postion, to prolong the life on them. in my history of adding a preserver to rubber you will alway have to do it. But temp and UV sun light are another story. If you keep it in the water, then just do some cleaning once and awhile on them. But chems on rubber are a upkeep vs doing nothing and storing the drive in the down postion.

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

bellows lubricant? 16 Jun 2009 21:44 #3

• boomer
i HAVE to pull the boat every 2 weeks to keep it from getting permanent growth on EVERYTHING.
im not necessarily talking about electrolysis (and i am replacing the grounding continuity kit already), im talking about the hull also and i dont want to put ablative on it yet because it looks so damn good right now.
im talking about clams, oysters, those little things that look like a baby mount everest and GRASS which grows about an inch a week here.

So i think this is kinda an extreme condition. so if you were the manufacturer what would you recommend in this acute situation. Marine grease? Because if nobody can answer this then thats the plan.

Does anyone know if Corrossion-X ($20 for the 16 oz) wil eat that rubber? Maybe i should buy a new bellow and spray some of that on it just to test...:arr

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

1/8 Mile: 7.291 @ 105.1 MPH - 1.99 60ft - Miami-Dade County Line Dragway, street tires and stock gearing. [/COLOR]

bellows lubricant? 16 Jun 2009 22:37 #4

• JWebber
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 8

boomer;310592 wrote: i HAVE to pull the boat every 2 weeks to keep it from getting permanent growth on EVERYTHING.
im not necessarily talking about electrolysis (and i am replacing the grounding continuity kit already), im talking about the hull also and i dont want to put ablative on it yet because it looks so damn good right now.
im talking about clams, oysters, those little things that look like a baby mount everest and GRASS which grows about an inch a week here.

So i think this is kinda an extreme condition. so if you were the manufacturer what would you recommend in this acute situation. Marine grease? Because if nobody can answer this then thats the plan.

Does anyone know if Corrossion-X ($20 for the 16 oz) wil eat that rubber? Maybe i should buy a new bellow and spray some of that on it just to test...:arr

I got you! saltwater and the area that you are in, with warmer waters now = lots of life growth. You could try the corrossion-x, copper is your best friend when it comes to life in the saltwater. I own a saltwater tank, and I'm always cleaning off growth. So I feel your pain. hmmmmmm not sure man!:arr

2008 Bayliner 175 BR, 135hp 3.0 Mer. Alpha I Gen. II 2.0 Drive

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 00:39 #5

• boomer

JWebber;310613 wrote: I got you! saltwater and the area that you are in, with warmer waters now = lots of life growth. You could try the corrossion-x, copper is your best friend when it comes to life in the saltwater. I own a saltwater tank, and I'm always cleaning off growth. So I feel your pain. hmmmmmm not sure man!:arr

88*
at the bar the other night...

Attached files

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 01:18 #6

• Neverhome
Be careful what you put on rubber. Some silicone products are safe but petroleum based products, like vaseline, will eat it. I suggest you ask at a marine store.

Neverhome

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 06:21 #7

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats

Neverhome;310687 wrote: ...petroleum based products, like vaseline, will eat it.
Neverhome

I second that. If in doubt, best to just keep it dry and clean.

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 21:27 #8

• boomer
Anyone else???
So what im seeing is that NOBODY does this you all just rinse with fresh water and keep the drive down??? Isn't there a mechanics silver bullet to this? Some holy grail of rubber lubricant and protectant that while possibly expensive...prevents the cluster**** of replacing the bellows?

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 21:45 #9

• wildman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Between boats

boomer;311212 wrote: Anyone else???
...Some holy grail of rubber lubricant and protectant that while possibly expensive...prevents the cluster**** of replacing the bellows?

On that note I have a question: Can you get silicone bellows? Would last much longer than rubber.

Dave
former boats: 87 Chaparral 278; 97 Maxuum 2100; 75 Catalina 27; 2000 Seaswirl 200

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 22:03 #10

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Wrap a towel around it when not in use. The most effective way to prolong the life of the bellows is to keep UV light away from it. Applying a lubricant to it will only keep the water away.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 22:12 #11

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 354
Never have heard of anything...if you invent something that will prolong their life, you will become a rich man! :D

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

bellows lubricant? 17 Jun 2009 23:16 #12

• boomer

wildman;311220 wrote: On that note I have a question: Can you get silicone bellows? Would last much longer than rubber.

this is a good thought!

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

bellows lubricant? 18 Jun 2009 00:18 #13

• Neverhome
Boomer,

My boat is seven years old. I keep it wet slipped in brackish water from May to August. I just had the bellows checked by the marina when it was winterized last fall and they are fine. Don't worry. Just check them at the end of or start of every season and replace them if they appear to be cracked.

Neverhome

bellows lubricant? 18 Jun 2009 00:34 #14

• boomer

Neverhome;311280 wrote: Boomer,

My boat is seven years old. I keep it wet slipped in brackish water from May to August. I just had the bellows checked by the marina when it was winterized last fall and they are fine. Don't worry. Just check them at the end of or start of every season and replace them if they appear to be cracked.

Neverhome

Maybe your not seeing this from my angle...
The boat is not kept in brackish water...its kept in the most "alive" water anywhere in the continental US. The whole thing is that everything corrodes here....if you dont shower twice a day AT LEAST your face will oxidize.

I know the old 1/4 turn till tight mantra normally holds true for everything, including maintenance but i really need a plan B here. If its gonna be fresh water wash every 2 weeks than thats it...i was just hoping somebody other than me had been down the high road before...i guess not.
I will stay away from petroleum based stuff and add the silcione bellows unicorn to my list of impossible things like borrowing a prop to test...
:ouch

Judgement Day is Near!
97' S10 Pickup
07' Suzuki GSXR-K7-750

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds