Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive?

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 16 Jun 2009 03:20 #1

• MaddMaxx129
  • MaddMaxx129's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Well we finally got the old 1950 bayliner to the lake for it's maiden voyage last saturday. Good news it ran like a top and didn't take on any water other than the little bit of rain we ran into while crusing.

After we pulled here out of the water we noticed that the prop had some damage to the trailing edge (nothing major....slight rolled edge). We never felt a thing while underway in the way of actually hitting something to cause the damage or any viberations either.

I guess my question is what is a good all around prop to put on the old '83 bayliner. What we are planning on doing with the boat other than just cruising around the lake is a little tubing and pulling a kneeboard. I don't know what size or pitch is on it currently but it seemed to do ok for a lack luster 4 cyl motor with 5 people onboard last weekend.

Thanks for any advice,
MaddMaxx129

Here she is deemed..."Kewl Breeze"...in all her classic '83 glory after spending a day on the lake just cruising around.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'83 1950 Bayliner Capri - Named: "Kewl Breeze"
Powered by 125A and a 270/275 Mystery Drive

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 16 Jun 2009 14:40 #2

• Trout Slayer
I use a 14x19 pitch prop and it works great. Good for cruising and I've pulled skiers and tubers around with a boat load of people. Top speed is about 35 mph @ 4,800 RPM. :arr

P.S. I do have a "whale tail" on my outdrive, so that may make a bit of an improvement when pulling skiers.... Just my .02

Hit 'n Run
1984 Capri 1950 cuddy
AQ125A/270

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 16 Jun 2009 17:58 #3

• slia67
When I had an '86 1950 with the same eng/drive I was running a 19 pitch also, which put the RPMs in the correct range. But one thing I did have the prop shop do was to add a little extra cup to the prop. Maybe it was my imagination but it seemed to give it a touch better hole shot.

I hope you aren't planning on replacing the prop for a little damage. Take it to a good prop shop and have them repair it. (it's much cheaper) Volvo props of that year aren't real easy to find in the aftermarket world. I bought a 2nd on eBay to have in emergencies and also to use if the other was ever in the shop being worked on.

Doug

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 17 Jun 2009 01:05 #4

• MaddMaxx129
Thanks for all the info!

I wasn't planning on getting rid of the prop that got dinged up.....need to find a local place that can fix it though. Where is a good source for a second prop just to have around as a spare? What do I need to look for when it comes to props for the 270 outdrive such as.....number of splines....long or short shaft.....left or right hand rotation?

You say that you can turn right at 4800 with the 14x19 prop (which is the prop that the previous owner said was on it when I bought it if I remember right). The max rpm we got was right around 4K with 5 people on board but it did run well just seemed like it took a little bit to get up on plane. I realize it's only a 4 cyl and can't expect a 19' boat to "jump" out of the water from a dead stop so I'm being realistic on the performance standpoint. What I'm not sure of is that the points and timing are set correct as I got the boat from a shadetree tinkerer that couldn't leave anything alone even if it seemed to be right.

What I have done so far is new plugs and wires....didn't mess with timing or points. Points were virtually new with only a few hours use on them when I got the boat as well.

I know it seems as I'm :ouch but I like to get advice from people that have experience with the aq125a when it comes to what works and what doesn't.

YES I'm a total newbee with a classic boat :D that needed alot of love and attention to bring her back to life!

MaddMaxx129

Powered by 125A and a 270/275 Mystery Drive

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 17 Jun 2009 06:34 #5

• ishiboo
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I have a Piranha ( http://www.piranha.com/ ) on my 270 which works well and seems to be cost effective... I believe I paid around $250 with a spare blade, and three spare blades ($60) give you what amounts to a "spare" prop. If you hit anything you replace the blades in the hub and you have a brand new prop. Also $60 in new blades to give you a full change in pitch so if you decide you need a new pitch it's fairly inexpensive to try (and you can change them out in 20 minutes.)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2005 Crownline 316 LS "The Lucille"

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 17 Jun 2009 18:07 #6

• Trout Slayer
Also MadMaxx, if you're going to be using the boat only for skiing & tubing with a lot of people on board, I would drop the pitch down to a 17. Check your dwell also on your points, it should be .016" (use a feeler gage). Time the engine at 10 deg. Good luck!

Hit 'n Run
1984 Capri 1950 cuddy
AQ125A/270

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 17 Jun 2009 18:39 #7

• slia67

MaddMaxx129;310677 wrote: Thanks for all the info!

The max rpm we got was right around 4K with 5 people on board but it did run well just seemed like it took a little bit to get up on plane. I realize it's only a 4 cyl and can't expect a 19' boat to "jump" out of the water from a dead stop so I'm being realistic on the performance standpoint. What I'm not sure of is that the points and timing are set correct as I got the boat from a shadetree tinkerer that couldn't leave anything alone even if it seemed to be right.

MaddMaxx129

Was that a normal load for your boat?

The first thing to do is make sure the engine is properly tuned, including making sure the tach is accurate. Then address the prop pitch. If the answer to my question above is yes and the engine is properly tuned you may want to look at moving down to a 17 pitch like Trout Slayer mentioned.

One point on Trout Slayer's post, the point gap should be 0.16" not the dwell, which is I'm sure what he meant to say.

Doug

Correct prop for a aq125a with a 270 outdrive? 17 Jun 2009 21:37 #8

• MaddMaxx129
Doug,

I can't say as that will be a normal load for the boat.....it was the first time I had it in the water since getting it late last year. The boat is new to me but definatelly "not new".

When the girlfriends boy found out we were going to take it to the lake he decided to come along and it kind of snowballed from there.....his girlfriend and her brother wanted to come along too. I would say that a normal load would be 3 or 4 people on board. I think the prop that is on it currently will work fine for how we are planning on using the boat.

By looking at the picture is it a right or left hand prop? I would say that it is a right hand as it turns clockwise to propel the boat forward.....maybe I'm wrong (could be I'm totally new to boating).

Tried to find a prop online to replace the one that got dinged a bit but can't seem to find anything for a '83 aq270 drive......everything listed is for newer stuff.

Thanks Again,
MaddMaxx129