Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: high oil pressure?

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 00:04 #1

• katthater
  • katthater's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
boat overheated the other day, got that sorted..
now noticing that i ma getting a higher oil pressure.
my gauge maxes out at 80. i am reading 60-70 at idle of 1000rpm.
any ideas,
i was suspecting head gasket but oil seems like oil...no signs of milkiness where water could be mixing with oil... any ideas?:arr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 00:05 #2

• katthater
ooops, by the way the engine is a volvo penta aq211a( chev 305)

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 01:39 #3

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Serious overheating can cause some serious damage to a motor, but I'm not sure why it would affect the oil pressure in an upwards direction. If you can get your hands on another sensor and gauge, I'd eliminate them first. You might also check the wire coming off of the sensor to make sure that it didn't come in contact with an overheated motor part and partially melt.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 02:55 #4

• av8mech
Two possible causes come to mind. Neither are in the "good" catagory unfortunatly.

1. Some tramp metal has caused your oil pressure relief valve to become stuck. This is not TOO difficult the remedy. BUT...Where did the metal come from?

2. When an engine overheats the bearings swell and become tighter causing an increase in oil pressure, normally (but not always) followed by premature bearing failure.

Start by draining and straining your oil through a cheese cloth and inspecting for metallic particles. Remove your oil filter and cut it open and inspect it also for metallic particles. Expect some "glitter", that is common in small quantities, expect some tramp particles that may have entered the system while adding oil or during servicing. Anything beyond this is unacceptable and should be considered a sign of an upcoming repower. In the aviation industry the manuals are actually VERY specific as to how many and what maximum size particles are acceptable. I would share this with you but these standards are MUCH tougher than would be needed for boating applications.

I hate to be so negative and cold sounding but sounds to me like you should save and brace for a repower.

Sorry to be so.....bleak. :(

My restoration thread: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23504
1988 2150 CF Bowrider
4V 5.0L 230 HP
"Can O Worms"

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 03:04 #5

• BigBadLou
A trusted mechanical (or even electrical) gauge would tell you where the problem is. The sensor or the engine?

Once you know, you can take it from there. Too early to start tearing into the motor.

Lou

'89 2655 Cierra Sunbridge w/ 460 OMC King Cobra
"Managers are regular people like us. They just don't believe it."

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 03:14 #6

• katthater
thanks guys so far....
one thing though.....
when i am checking the oil in the boat.....where should it be on the dipstick?
i know between low and full. but is that reading for when the boat is not level in the water?

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 03:31 #7

• katthater

BigBadLou;310204 wrote: A trusted mechanical (or even electrical) gauge would tell you where the problem is. The sensor or the engine?

Once you know, you can take it from there. Too early to start tearing into the motor.

Lou

what should i check and how?

high oil pressure? 16 Jun 2009 13:45 #8

• BigBadLou
If you have a mechanical gauge, loacate and unscrew the electrical sending unit from the oil pickup. Screw in the mechanical gauge. Or even better, use a Tee to attach both.
Then compare the readings from the electrical gauge to the readings on the mechanical one. That would tell you whether it's just a lying gauge/sender or whether your engine really has a problem.

Lou

'89 2655 Cierra Sunbridge w/ 460 OMC King Cobra
"Managers are regular people like us. They just don't believe it."

high oil pressure? 19 Jun 2009 03:04 #9

• av8mech
If it has been overheated you oil is broken down. At least drain the oil and get some fresh oil in it.

Edit: Checking the pressure with a seperate "breakout" gauge is a good idea too, generally overheating does not cause a pressure gauge to go south but at least give this problem EVERY chance to be a cheap and easy fix!

Unless the angle of the boat is VERY radical, the oil level change due to boat tilt will not be altered enough to cause any ill effects.

My restoration thread: http://baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23504
1988 2150 CF Bowrider
4V 5.0L 230 HP
"Can O Worms"
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds