Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 12V problem please help

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 21:27 #1

• jaxciera
  • jaxciera's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1995 2355 Ciera, I'm experiencing some under-volting and alarm noices when i turn on lights, the stereo, etc. I'm not an electrician by nature, was hoping some one else here may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 21:36 #2

• 2651 got fun?
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
well any easy test would be check your batteries at an ( load test ) auto store and make sure all your connections are good then you can always have your alternator tested at the auto store next just don't buy the replacement there if it test bad because it won't be ignition protected or USCG approved

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 21:41 #3

• jaxciera

2651 got fun?;309517 wrote: well any easy test would be check your batteries at an ( load test ) auto store and make sure all your connections are good then you can always have your alternator tested at the auto store next just don't buy the replacement there if it test bad because it won't be ignition protected or USCG approved

Ok, well I know the batteries are good, and don't think the alternator is the issue either, to be more specific, my problem occur when the boat is not running, for instance if i just turn on a 12V light in the cabin, it will light up, but I'm aslo getting a high pitch alarm sound.

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 21:47 #4

• 2651 got fun?
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
alarm?? from where??

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 21:56 #5

• jaxciera

2651 got fun?;309519 wrote: alarm?? from where??

The sound is coming from the dash area

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 22:00 #6

• 2651 got fun?
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
hmm sounds like it's back feeding into your warning buzzer for your out drive oil level engine temp etc buzzer

does the key need to be on for this issue? what other 12v items will activate the alarm . are you familiar with the engine temp drive res alarm sound? is it the same??

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 22:43 #7

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If you don't know what a VOM is, don't know what it does, and don't have one, this might be a tough problem for you. Use your Volt/Ohm Meter to see how much voltage you really have; should be 12 v and change but less than 13 unless the engine is running and the alternator chargine, in which case it should be about 13.8. If turning something on causes any significant drop, you have resistance somewhere; either corrosion or maybe a loose or frayed connection, worst case an undersized or a partially broken wire. The wiring should be such that it can provide enough 12v for everything on the circuit to run and keep the voltage right around 12v. Assuming this is OEM wiring and more or less the right size, a voltage drop indicates a problem.

If you have less than 12v at the line, then check the battery (ies) themselves. If you have 12v at the batt, but less in the line, it's definitely a connection problem. If you have less than 12v at the batts, they're either bad or they're not getting adequately chargeds, so follow the advice above and get them properly checked.

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 23:12 #8

• Whistler
The only two standard buzzers would be the engine warning buzzer and the digital (St Horizon) depth sounder. The only other item I can think of that will give you a beeping session when the voltage drops is a Sony car stereo which tells you that it's shutting down.

The engine buzzer will sound for three reasons only. Overheat, low gear lube and engine oil.
The depth sounder will beep when powered and if you've set a depth alarm. (I confused the depth alarm for the engine alarm once.... Having two bicycles on the aft deck made that an interesting exercise. The depth was 60+ feet so it never entered my mind that the sound came from the sounder....)

Whistler
'99 2655, 350 mag mpi, extras include water under the keel and blue sky above the deck.
I'm building a boat (Norwegian text, Colour photos;))

12V problem please help 14 Jun 2009 23:41 #9

• BitMaP
IMHO you have a poor ground connection. Mine was doing the same thing including the alarm backfeed. I found a bunch of loose wiring on a ground block in the engine compartment.

'03 265 SB, 9.6' Beam, 7.5/250 HP, Bravo III.

12V problem please help 15 Jun 2009 20:30 #10

• jaxciera

2651 got fun?;309521 wrote: hmm sounds like it's back feeding into your warning buzzer for your out drive oil level engine temp etc buzzer

does the key need to be on for this issue? what other 12v items will activate the alarm . are you familiar with the engine temp drive res alarm sound? is it the same??

No, happens without the key, items that cause problem radio in cabin, nav lights, accessories switch sometimes it sounds when nothing is turned on.

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 16 Jun 2009 01:53 #11

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Bad connection somewhere. As all of the items that you describe come off of a power buss behind your dash, check the main feed to the buss, where it leaves it's power source, and where it attaches to the buss. Do a voltage check to ensure that you have at least 12 volts there. Next check the negative (ground buss) in the same manner. Somewhere you have a loose or corroded connection and I'd bet on a bad ground connection somewhere. Put a screwdriver on all of the buss connections and make sure that they're tight as well as doing a visual on all connections. One bad connection can cause a whole bunch of grief.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

12V problem please help 21 Jun 2009 12:45 #12

• jaxciera
Just an update, on my problem , still getting weird alarm noice, intermittent 12v devices working then not. Gonna try disassemble the dash to get to fuse panel, switches, and bus. I'm in Jacksonville FL, if there is someone from here who could hep take a look at it, please get in contact with me.

Thanks

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 21 Jun 2009 13:04 #13

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
I'd agree that this could be a typical poor grounding connection.
Since your helm ground comes up and through the main harness (as does the power circuit), I'd pull the harness connection at the engine apart and examine the connections.
Along with all of the starter, temp, oil, ignition, etc. circuits, is the ground circuit.

Pull this apart and look at the conditions of these pins.
This same engine harness will make a ground connection to the engine block..... check this as well.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

12V problem please help 21 Jun 2009 13:52 #14

• jaxciera

2850Bounty;312708 wrote: I'd agree that this could be a typical poor grounding connection.
Since your helm ground comes up and through the main harness (as does the power circuit), I'd pull the harness connection at the engine apart and examine the connections.
Along with all of the starter, temp, oil, ignition, etc. circuits, is the ground circuit.

Pull this apart and look at the conditions of these pins.
This same engine harness will make a ground connection to the engine block..... check this as well.

Can you describe what this harness will look like and where to find it on the engine block, I have a 4.3L merc, LX

Thanks

1995 2355 Ciera

12V problem please help 21 Jun 2009 14:24 #15

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
You can't miss it! Get your hands dirty! :D

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds