TOPIC: windlass

windlass 12 Jun 2009 17:04 #1

• dwoodford
  • dwoodford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
Do'es anybody know the mounting location in referance to the rope hole thats allready in the boat for a lewmar 1000 anchor winch :confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

windlass 12 Jun 2009 17:41 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121
It's much more involved than that and you do not mention what boat you are asking about.

You must consider:

Anchor style.
Ancho pulpit style/length.
Rode drop zone within the rode locker (for hands free operation)
How the anchor lays in the pulpit considering shank/chain swivel/length, and so on before you even consider making a hole in the deck.

Best, IMO, to perform your own layout specific to your bow deck, pulpit, anchor style, etc.
It must all work together.
A windlass can not stand up like we can to pull the anchor up/over the roller and to rest.

Ya gets only one shot at at cutting that hole! No mulligans..... No Oops!

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

windlass 12 Jun 2009 18:04 #3

• dwoodford
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for the reply and your right that was a veg? question I have a 1989 2755 bayliner cierra sunbridge the "hole" is allready in place and i think is original to the boat I just need to know the distances x, y, z, that the windlass will sit from that hole so I guess sombody with knowledge of this type boat that has mounted a lewmar 1000 would probly know what I'm talking about and have the answer Thanks Doug

windlass 12 Jun 2009 18:18 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

dwoodford;308797 wrote: Thanks for the reply and your right that was a veg? question I have a 1989 2755 bayliner cierra sunbridge the "hole" is allready in place and i think is original to the boat I just need to know the distances x, y, z, that the windlass will sit from that hole so I guess sombody with knowledge of this type boat that has mounted a lewmar 1000 would probly know what I'm talking about and have the answer Thanks Doug

Doug, I'm sorry that this is not the answer that you want to hear..... but no matter how accurately you think these dimensions would be offered to you..... and even from a similar boat/owner......., you really need to perform you own layout specific to YOUR bow, pulpit, roller system, anchor shank type, etc, and then go from there.
There are just too many variables.
There are also some bad Windlass installations out there. You DO NOT want dimensional information from one of those installations! :hammer

The whole object of the Windlass, IMO, is to have an effortless and hands free anchor retreival system. Key word being "Hands Free"!
None of that can occur unless the layout is very well planned.
Just take your time.... anchor in place in the pulpit...... chain/swivel in place..... template on deck...... adequate space between anchor and Windlass....... and so on.

One of the bigger issues is the rode drop loaction within the locker. Too far foward/too far aft, and the rode will need attention upon retrieval. There goes your hands free out the window.

The hole that exits now may need to be filled in.... don't know.
I do know that I'd not predicate the Windlass location by anything to do with this existing hole. It may not have been done under controlled conditions at the factory.
Add to that that their installation make not work well. Therefore, dimensions from a similar hull may do you no good!

I don't mean for this to sound like I'm being hard on you over this. All I'm saying is that there's no substitute for your own, well thought out and well planned layout. :arr

Most who have installed a Windlass, and one that works like it should, will appreciate what I'm saying here.
Any who have a Windlass that Does NOT work as it should, will also appreciate what I'm saying here.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

windlass 12 Jun 2009 19:17 #5

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I recently installed that same windlass on my former boat, a BL 289. It was not easy, the layout, as Rick pointed out, being the most critical. Mine was compounded by an extremely limited area due to the relatively small anchor locker. You MAY be able to use an existing hole, or part of it, but until you lay the template out on the deck, and lay out everything else that Rick noted, you just won't know.

Another option would be to check out the photo albums on here, especially for your model, to get some ideas. Or you could start a new thread, such as "2755/275 owners: show me your windlass!" Then ask for pictures, or did you install, etc.

Finally, you could just pay to have it done. After doing mine, I will seriously consider that option if the need arises again.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

windlass 12 Jun 2009 19:22 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

jeffw;308838 wrote:

1. Another option would be to check out the photo albums on here, especially for your model, to get some ideas.
  2. Or you could start a new thread, such as "2755/275 owners: show me your windlass!" Then ask for pictures, or did you install, etc.
  3. Finally, you could just pay to have it done. After doing mine, I will seriously consider that option if the need arises again.

1. Great idea! There are bound to be a few here.
  2. Ditto..... excellent idea.
  3. Just make sure that YOU also discuss layout with whomever would be doing this so you are both on the same page.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

windlass 18 Jun 2009 05:12 #7

• dwoodford
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Guys for the info and advice !!!! After recieving the windlass and looking at the template it is very obvious that the original hole isnt going to work it is off center to the left so the windlass would never line up ( of course it could'nt be that easy) so it looks as though I'll have to make a adapter plate so that it covers the hole or fiber glass the old hole (if I only knew how to get the factory finish) but one good thing is the instructions that you get w/lewmar windlass has a good section on the installation so from what I can see the rest of the install should be pretty straight foward:kidding no guts no glorey:arr

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds