Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Racor water separating fuel filter

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 00:55 #1

• skydiver
  • skydiver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 5.7L carbed Mercruiser engine that has a spin-on fuel filter. I'd like something like a Racor so that I can empty the water if any accumulates. Stern drive, so I know that it can't have the plastic bowl on the bottom. Do the Racors just spin on in place of my exisiting fuel filter, or do I need to re-route any fuel lines? And if you can't see into the metal bowl, then how do you know that it's taking out the water?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 01:01 #2

• mainecoast
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 22
The Racor should spin on, it does on mine anyway. There is a plug at the bottom of the bowl. Just drain it into a container every once in awhile. You'll see the water (if any) at the bottom.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
1989 2650...an ongoing restoration...but I'm totally clueless...It just happened to be running the day this photo was taken.
Isn't owning a boat always an ongoing restoration?

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 01:19 #3

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

skydiver;307149 wrote: I have a 5.7L carbed Mercruiser engine that has a spin-on fuel filter. I'd like something like a Racor so that I can empty the water if any accumulates. Stern drive, so I know that it can't have the plastic bowl on the bottom. Do the Racors just spin on in place of my exisiting fuel filter, or do I need to re-route any fuel lines? And if you can't see into the metal bowl, then how do you know that it's taking out the water?

Sky, There are about three different spin on filter base threads out there.... OMC, Sierra/Mercury and Volvo Penta.
Be sure to get the Racor filter cartridge for your thread size.
I believe that all of the lower metal bowls for gasoline are same.

You also must have the proper height/clearance to accommodate the now longer entire assembly.
No changes to hose connections.
And no.... you can't see into the bowl. Just unscrew the drain plug while you have a catch bowl under it.
Let it sit, and you will see if any water is present.
(do this after you have run your engine so you are not cranking on a somewhat dry fuel delivery system.)

BTW, Sierra is now listing the RACOR under the Sierra name.... so if you have a connection for buying via Sierra, there ya go.
These are HP rated for flow.
Find what you want via the RACOR web site....., then cross this over in the Sierra catalog.

You will need a neck brace for the now added horse power. :D

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 02:32 #4

• mainecoast
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 22
Sky, There are about three different spin on filter base threads out there.... OMC, Sierra/Mercury and Volvo Penta.

Nope...spin on's are all the same. The only differences are GPH and outboard, inboard/inboard outboard, diesel (which are a diferent color.) I was looking at them all this weekend before I found the one I needed.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
1989 2650...an ongoing restoration...but I'm totally clueless...It just happened to be running the day this photo was taken.
Isn't owning a boat always an ongoing restoration?

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 02:52 #5

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

mainecoast;307192 wrote: Sky, There are about three different spin on filter base threads out there.... OMC, Sierra/Mercury and Volvo Penta.

Nope...spin on's are all the same. The only differences are GPH and outboard, inboard/inboard outboard, diesel (which are a diferent color.) I was looking at them all this weekend before I found the one I needed.

Just as our different engine spin-on oil filters use their own thread size....., there are different thread sizes to the various OEM fuel filter base units;
11/16"-16 Mercruiser heads.
1"-12 OMC heads.
(and I'd have to measure one of the OEM Volvo Penta heads)

You can find this info when doing a search on the RACOR system.

This is why I suggested that you know which base unit (head) that you currently have (if installing the RACOR retro-fit unit)!
You must use the correct thread size or it will not thread on to the base.

This is all a moot point if you are installing a complete Parker/Racor system w/ a new Parker/Racor base.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 03:05 #6

• Rocky_Road
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

mainecoast;307192 wrote: Sky, There are about three different spin on filter base threads out there.... OMC, Sierra/Mercury and Volvo Penta.

Almost...Mercury (Mercruiser) have a 11/16" threaded hole, and a 2 3/4" seal ring. This is an industry standard used by Yamaha and aftermarket suppliers.

By comparison, Bombardier (formerly OMC) filters designed for Evinrude and Johnson outboards have a 1-inch thread with a 2 3⁄4-inch seal ring.

Racor makes filters to fit either Mercury or Bombardier (formerly OMC) mounting brackets, and also offers a proprietary bracket and filter with
a 1-inch thread and a 31⁄2-inch seal. It’s important to note, however, that a Racor bracket handles only Racor elements.

All of this cool info (and filter test comparisons) can be seen here:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/fuelFilter.pdf

This is a PDF file...and be sure that you read both pages!

Racor water separating fuel filter 10 Jun 2009 07:12 #7

• skydiver
  • skydiver's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks all. I'll take my extra fuel filter with me before I buy the Racor or Sierra and make sure the threads are the same.

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds